/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Warranty and laptop question - pleease help!

Aishath
09-28-2012, 12:20 PM
Asalaamu Alaikum,

Insha Allah I hope someone here can please help me.

I only found out really recently that warranty/insurance can be haram. From my understanding, the warranty we get as part of the purchase (the one year one) is okay but any additional warranties to be purchased later on isn't correct?

I bought my laptop five or six months ago and got that warranty along with it. I didn't pay extra for it I don't think. I might have but I can't remember right now. Whatever I paid I did the day I purchased the laptop and I was put on a trial insurance scheme but Alhamudlillah I cancelled this.

Anyway the other night, I left my laptop switched on, on my bed all night and fell asleep and the next morning it wouldn't work properly. The display light had burned. I assumed because it was on my bed, it could be due to the laptop being heated up and air ways being blocked?

I took it into pcworld and they said my warranty will cover it. I don't know if I told the guy there exactly what had happened. Once again, I might have but I don't remember.

So today I went back to the shop and explained to them exactly what had occurred and I was told that my own negligence does not come under the manufacturer's warranty. But I was told that 'there is no way they can prove it' as in no way for those repairing to prove my negligence. That didn't sit right with me at all.

However by this point my laptop had already come back fixed and was ready for me to collect. I tried to pay for this (I was told it would have been roughly £80-90 if I didn't have a warranty). The guy looked at me like I was a bit crazy. I explained to him it was due to a religious belief factor and I really really just want to pay for it. He then said to me that sometimes the backlight burns out just due to the bulb burning out etc and it could have been a coincidence that this happened straight after I had left it on my bed all night. I still persisted and I was just told to take it back and don't pay (basically I wasn't able to pay there). I even asked him if it was actually possible for him to ring me up a bill now that the laptop was already back in store repaired and he said no but by this point I'm not sure if he said so just so I leave the matter alone.

I have now sent a message to KNOWHOW which is the actual place the laptop was repaired in (this is the place the shop sent it to I assume). I have once again explained the matter to them and told them I want to pay. I am expecting to hear back over the next 24 hours.

What else can I do regarding this situation? I do all my work on my laptop too and I feel like none of this is 'halal' anymore. I do suffer from a lot of waswas but please Insha Allah help me out. Can I still use this laptop for my work? What can I do to try and pay for this?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Aishath
09-29-2012, 08:43 AM
Anybody? I could really use some advice Insha Allah

ardianto
09-30-2012, 04:40 PM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by Aishath
Can I still use this laptop for my work?
If someone gives you something for free and sincerely, the gift is halal for you although you don't pay anything. Same like in your case. They gave you free repair service, and they didn't expect any payment. It's considered they gave free repair service sincerely. So, don't worry, you can still use your laptop.

What can I do to try and pay for this?
If they do not expect any payment, you don't need to force them to take your money. Pay them in different way, promote that shop to your friends, tell them if they want to buy laptop, they can buy in that shop because that shop give great service.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!