/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Ballet haram?

Marina-Aisha
09-30-2012, 08:47 PM
I saw picture on Facebook of sister doing some ballet she was all covered so I was just wondering is it haram cos I've always wanted to do ballet but if its haram then...I won't think bout doing it..any ideas?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hulk
09-30-2012, 09:08 PM
Wow! You know sometimes I mix the two of you up! Because you guys always speak with such a sincere tone MashaAllah!

sister herb
09-30-2012, 09:12 PM
I like her horse.

Hulk
09-30-2012, 09:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
I like her horse.
me too! haha

On the topic at hand.. We might have to define what is ballet, if by ballet you simply mean the dance form I don't see why it would be considered haram as long as it doesn't involve anything haram. That said, there are things in ballet which might make it haram. Performing it in public might be an issue as you will be in the tight fit clothing, dancing. Some would say that it would be haram because of the type of music involved. So it's not really haram but you would have to "purify" it by removing the aspects of it which might lead to it.

Bacon for example is haram but you can make it halal by using Turkey bacon!

Anyway I am just using the reasoning I was taught in religious class though my teacher never really mentioned ballet but he did say that our deen does not destroy cultures but rather purify them. I'm not a scholar though so it's best to ask someone who is. Or at least knowledgable. I found an old thread which might be of use

http://www.islamicboard.com/discover...ing-islam.html

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sister herb
09-30-2012, 09:24 PM
Seems it is haram in here.

:embarrass

Insaanah
09-30-2012, 09:38 PM
:sl: sister

Why do you want to do ballet? If it's for exercise, then there are a lot of other forms of exercise you can do.

You'd have to go to classes, wear tight clothes revealing all the shape of your body, and there'd be music involved.

See this: http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/in...waId&Id=137658

and this:

With regard to dancing, it is not permissible in front of men, non-mahrams, mahrams or women, because of the fitnah that may be caused by the movements of the body.
The alluring movements of a woman are part of her ‘awrah, and it is not permissible for her to show them to anyone but her husband.
http://islamqa.info/en/ref/9290

sister herb
09-30-2012, 09:49 PM
Where in the Quran is it said that dancing is haram?

Insaanah
10-01-2012, 06:34 AM
:sl:

^ As you know, our deen is not based on the Qur'an only.

Marina-Aisha
10-01-2012, 07:08 AM
Kinda figured it was haram imsad everyone for your help.

Hulk
10-01-2012, 07:28 AM
Personally if I were you though I would take up some fighting skills

Marina-Aisha
10-01-2012, 07:45 AM
I'm sure that haram too hahahhahhaha, why would I need fighting skills when I have my hubbie hehehehe.

جوري
10-01-2012, 05:54 PM
tough to break into ballet as an adult and with a body that bore children, regardless whether it is allowed or not.. They usually take very young girls and they end up with what we call an athletic triad because they often starve or binge and purge themselves to be of a certain body type.
I do Yoga/Ballet/Pilates type exercise if you're just looking to be in good shape.. It does amazing things to the body also hurts alot.. you can find the tapes on amazon for around $9.00 but you have to keep with it everyday if you want your body to be a certain way.

:w:

Marina-Aisha
10-02-2012, 10:24 AM
Lol I don't want b professional dancer I just all the things on my list that I've always want to do was ballet.I know I don't have the body but so what just cos some don't fit in to certain "type" doesn't mean that shouldn't try. It's just I've been feeling down lately just wanted to do something that took my mind off it for while and once I saw the sister in her ballet outfit I thought maybe I could try too. Obviously I don't wanna do something that's haram when I'm already committing sin at work that's why I'm down in the first place.

جوري
10-02-2012, 10:27 AM
This is the one I use... I think you might like it:

http://www.amazon.com/Element-Ballet...allet+exercise

Marina-Aisha
10-02-2012, 11:45 AM
That looks really cool thanx sister :)

جوري
10-02-2012, 12:00 PM
It is.. really ought to try it.. but it is painful though in the beginning it is very painful!

Marina-Aisha
10-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Like the saying goes "pain no gain " hahaha thanx I need to lose weight also so it be great for me thanx sister

جوري
10-02-2012, 05:58 PM
let me know how you like it.. I tried a couple of other ones but this was the one I liked the most.. she seems calm though she makes you work hard.. I don't like people who yell at you into shape...:skeleton:

Marina-Aisha
10-02-2012, 06:36 PM
Hahahhaha me too, like yelling is gonna do anything and sooo annoying

Hulk
10-02-2012, 07:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by marina-hadeya
Like the saying goes "pain no gain " hahaha thanx I need to lose weight also so it be great for me thanx sister

Marina-Aisha
10-02-2012, 07:47 PM
What's the sign at the end?

Hulk
10-02-2012, 08:08 PM
It's the arabic letter pronounced as "Ghayn" sis. It's a play on the word "gain". Hehe

Marina-Aisha
10-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Oh lol cool thanx :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!