Assalam o Alaikum.!
I have a question.
is music haraam in islam?
if we listen to a song that does'nt contain any bad words. what about it
plz guide

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
cuezed
10-04-2012, 05:08 PM
Musical instruments are haram no matter what the lyrics are.

Hadith - Bukhari 7:494

Narrated Abu 'Amir or Abu Malik Al-Ash'ari that he heard the Prophet saying, "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks, and the use of musical instruments as lawful. And (from them), there will be some who will stay near the side of a mountain, and in the evening their shepherd will come to them with their sheep and ask them for something, but they will say to him, 'Return to us tomorrow.' Allah will destroy them during the night and will let the mountain fall on them, and Allah will transform the rest of them into monkeys and pigs and they will remain so till the Day of Resurrection."

Tyrion
10-05-2012, 04:52 AM
Some say yes, some say no. That's really all you're going to hear when asking that question online.

I personally don't see a problem with music, but you should obviously do your own research and reach a conclusion based on that.

Marina-Aisha
10-05-2012, 05:10 AM
It is haram, I know hard I still struggle with also ( I convert 6 months ago) but try ur beat to say way from it. Not only is the music haram sometimes there hidden messages within the music.. Try ur best. Salam.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Tyrion
10-05-2012, 05:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by marina-hadeya
sometimes there hidden messages within the music..
Like what?

Bint-e-Adam
10-05-2012, 06:49 AM
yups. it means music is haraam :??
i dont know but i saw a movie based on islam. named: "KHuda kay liye."
there was also a discussion there in court that whether it is haram or not. but the Aalim gave a conclusion that music is not haraam. if it doesnot contain improper or bad words. Inface Hazrat Daud A.S also sang very well. his voice was really beautiful. but he does not sang songs, he sang music. that was full of Allah' zikr.
that why i was confused :)

Nawal89
10-05-2012, 08:41 AM
Ibn Abbas r.a. says that music is the voice of the shaitan. I dont have a link or any reference for you right now. But i'm quite sure of it :)

hur575
10-05-2012, 08:54 AM
One thing I am sure of it, no heart will combined music and Quran. If any Muslim try to memorise the Quran, and he/ she still listen to music, they will never succeed on memorising the Quran.

Music is close to the heart and it makes it hard from remembering Allah, it will drive you further from Allah. The best way to soften our heart is with Quran.

I know it is very hard even for Muslims let alone reverts, a sister reverted recently said that was the hardest thing to do.

Bint-e-Adam
10-05-2012, 08:59 AM
yups it is quite difficult to stop listening music. but in some functions as brother's marriage etc, people play music for enjoyment. so in that case will it be suitable to listen music.

Nawal89
10-05-2012, 09:05 AM
^
things that are in the "not allowed" status dont suddenly go to allowed just because of certain situations. But music is the weakness of most muslims nowdays.

Bint-e-Adam
10-05-2012, 09:06 AM
yups ok thanks a lot :)

Tyrion
10-05-2012, 09:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by hur575
If any Muslim try to memorise the Quran, and he/ she still listen to music, they will never succeed on memorising the Quran.
This is technically false. There are plenty of people who have memorized the Quran and still listen to music. I suppose you can try to argue that they somehow haven't "truly" memorized it, but the fact remains that they were able to hold the Quran and music in their brains/hearts simultaneously. :p:

Hulk
10-05-2012, 09:24 AM
we've had long discussions about it maybe u can try search on the forum :)

Bint-e-Adam
10-05-2012, 10:11 AM
okay i will search for it. but i have gained my answer from thsi thread. thanks a lot :)

hur575
10-05-2012, 11:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion

This is technically false. There are plenty of people who have memorized the Quran and still listen to music. I suppose you can try to argue that they somehow haven't "truly" memorized it, but the fact remains that they were able to hold the Quran and music in their brains/hearts simultaneously. :p:
Brother you have answered your own post , I said the word “succeed” and you replied I suppose you can try to argue that they somehow haven't "truly" memorized it".

I could say I am memorizing the Quran, and I have been stuck in the first chapter, and keep forgetting it, have I succeeded in memorising the Quran?

Memorizing the Quran especially is greatly affected by sins, that why you see people go to Makah and dedicate just one month to memorizing the Quran, and they succeed, and some can’t do it, even for years. Music been one of the worse as it is so close to the heart.

There is a great poem on how sins effect the memorization of Quran, it is attributed to Imam Shafi but I don’t think it was Imam shafi, nevertheless is nice poem, obviously it rhyme in Arabic.

شكوت الى وكيع سوء حفظي فأرشدني إلى ترك ترك المعاصي
I complained to Wakī’ of a deficiency in my ability to memorize ** So he instructed me to abandon sin

وَأخْبَرَنِي بأَنَّ العِلْمَ نُورٌ....ونورُ الله لا يهدى لعاصي
And he said to me that knowledge is a light ** And the light of Allah is not granted to a sinner

Tyrion
10-05-2012, 05:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by hur575
I could say I am memorizing the Quran, and I have been stuck in the first chapter, and keep forgetting it, have I succeeded in memorising the Quran?
I'm talking about people who have already memorized the entire Quran, while seeing nothing wrong with listening to music. These people exist.

IbnAbdulHakim
10-05-2012, 05:54 PM
Imam Abu Hanifah has perhaps the harshest view from amongst the four famous Imams of fiqh (Islamic jurisprudence).

His school of thought is the strictest, for he detested singing and considered it sinful. As for his disciples, they have explicitly confirmed the prohibition of listening to all musical amusements and pastimes, including wind instruments (mazamer) all types of tambourines, hand drums (duff) and even the striking of sticks (al-qadeeb).

They have asserted that such actions constitute disobedience to Allah and that the performer of such action is sinful, therefore necessitating rejection of his testimony.

They have further stated that it is incumbent upon the Muslim to struggle to avoid listening to such things, even if he were passing by or stationed near them (without any willful intention).

Abu Hanifah's closest disciple, Abu Yousuf, stated that if the sound of musical instruments (maazif) and amusements (malaahi) were heard coming from a house, the house could be entered without permission of its owners. The justification for this is that the command regarding the prohibition of abominable things (munkarat) is mandatory, and cannot be established if such entering rests upon the permission of the residents of the premises.

This is the madhab (position) of the rest of the Kufic scholars as well, such as Ibrahim An-Nakhai, Ash-Shabi Hammad and Ath-Thowri. They do not differ on this issue.

The same can be said of the general body of jurisprudence of Al-Basrah.

Ibnul-Qayyim specifies other aspects of the divine wisdom:

“Therefore know, song has particular characteristics which faint the heart, causing hypocrisy to sprout therein, just as water sprouts plants. Among its qualities is that it distracts the heart and prevents it from among contemplation and understanding of the Quran, and from applying it. This is because Quran and song can never coexist in the heart, since they are mutually contradictory.
Verily, the Quran forbids the pursuing of vanities and ordains restraint of the soul’s passions and temptations to evil.
Song, on the other hand, encourages the very opposite of these virtues, as it excites the hidden inner self and entices the soul inequity by driving it towards every shameful desire.

Sunan Abu-Dawud Book 41, Hadith # 4909
Narrated Abdullah ibn Mas'ud(raa) : Salam ibn Miskin(raa), quoting an old man who witnessed AbuWa'il in a wedding feast, said: They began to play, amuse and sing. He united the support of his hand round his knees that were drawn up, and said: I heard Abdullah (ibn Mas'ud) say: I heard the apostle of Allah (SAW) say: Singing produces hypocrisy in the heart.

what more do we need?

'Abd-al Latif
10-05-2012, 05:59 PM
:salamext:

Please view this thread.

http://www.islamicboard.com/islamic-...415-music.html

'Abd-al Latif
10-05-2012, 06:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by seeking_hidayat
yups. it means music is haraam :??
i dont know but i saw a movie based on islam. named: "KHuda kay liye."
there was also a discussion there in court that whether it is haram or not. but the Aalim gave a conclusion that music is not haraam. if it doesnot contain improper or bad words. Inface Hazrat Daud A.S also sang very well. his voice was really beautiful. but he does not sang songs, he sang music. that was full of Allah' zikr.
that why i was confused :)
Did Dawood (David - peace be upon him) play a flute?

Praise be to Allaah.

We have previously stated the ruling that it is haraam to listen to music. The evidence for that is quoted in the answer to question no. 5000. We have also explained that it is invalid to draw an analogy between music and the sound of birdsong or running water, in the answer to question no. 96219.

The view that Dawood (peace be upon him) used to seek forgiveness by playing the flute is a view for which there is no basis, rather what is meant by the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to Abu Moosa al-Ash’ari , “You have been given a beautiful voice (mizmaar, lit. flute) like the beautiful voices of the family of Dawood” (narrated by al-Bukhaari (5048) and Muslim (793) is that he had a beautiful voice, and the beauty of his voice was likened to the sound of the flute.

Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in Sharh Muslim: The words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) concerning Abu Moosa al-Ash’ari – “he has been given a beautiful voice (mizmaar) like the beautiful voices of the family of Dawood” – The scholars said: What is meant by mizmaar (lit. flute) here is a beautiful voice.

The original meaning of the word zamr is singing, and phrase “the family of Dawood” refers to Dawood himself. The phrase “the family of So and so” may apply to the person himself. Dawood (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) had a very beautiful voice. End quote.

Al-‘Iraaqi said in Tarh al-Tathreeb (3/104): What it meant by mizmaar here is a beautiful voice. The original meaning is the instrument that is blown into (wind instrument). The beauty and sweetness of his voice is likened to the sound of the flute. … He had an extremely beautiful voice in recitation. End quote.

Al-Haafiz Ibn Hajar said in Fath al-Baari: What is meant by mizmaar is a beautiful voice. The basic meaning is the instrument and the word is used of the voice as a simile. End quote.

This is like when Abu Bakr (may Allaah be pleased with him) described singing as the flutes or musical instruments of the Shaytaan, as al-Bukhaari (3931) and Muslim (892) narrated from ‘Aa’ishah that Abu Bakr entered upon her when the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was with her on the day of (Eid) al-Fitr or Adha, and there were two young girls singing lines of poetry that were said by the Ansaar on the day of Bu’aath. Abu Bakr said: Flutes of the Shaytaan! The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Let them be, O Abu Bakr, for every people has its Eid and our Eid is this day.”

The two young girls did not have a flute or musical instrument with them, but he (may Allaah be pleased with him) called singing the flute of the shaytaan, likening it to that because he found it displeasing.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!