/* */

PDA

View Full Version : We are nowhere near hitting 'peak oil', because we keep inventing new ways of extract

IbnAbdulHakim
10-10-2012, 11:33 AM
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance...peak-oil-then/

Peak oil always was a silly thing to panic over and now we've the UK's very own High Priest of the Church of Gaia telling us so. George Monbiot used his column this week to point out that we're not running out of oil and the wells are not going to run dry anytime soon. Supply is increasing rather nicely.

As he says:

The constraints on oil supply over the past 10 years appear to have had more to do with money than geology. The low prices before 2003 had discouraged investors from developing difficult fields. The high prices of the past few years have changed that.

Any economist could have told him that. Resource constraints are always an economic problem: solved by the price mechanism.

It was never true that we would run out of oil – it just gets more expensive. At a higher price, people use less and go and hunt for more. Both have happened: the amount of oil (or energy of any kind) used to produce one dollar of GDP has been falling for decades now. Techniques to extract more have been developed as those prices rise. And I'm afraid that people don't seem to understand the implications of those new techniques.

Take the Macondo field drilled by BP. Yes, a disaster in the Gulf: but also the deepest well ever drilled. Having developed the technology to drill so deeply we have not only discovered one new oil field – we've also discovered a whole new Earth that we can explore for oil. That part of the entire globe that between 4,000 and 5,000 feet below the surface.

Inventing fracking does not mean just extracting gas from Pennsylvania or oil from the Bakken. It means prospecting the whole planet again for such deposits. New technologies mean we have invented whole new planets to explore for resources.

This does not apply only to peak oil or peak gas. There are those out there who worry about peak copper, peak indium and even peak tellurium (an odd one when we use 125 tonnes a year and there's 120 million tonnes in the crust). None of these are geological problems, they are all plain and simple economic ones.

This is not to say that the world is free from problems. As Monbiot points out, if you care to worry about such things, having so much more oil might boil us all. But we already know the solution to that, a simple carbon tax. For we are not running out of the things that are subject to the price system. We are finding problems with things like the atmosphere, clean water, fisheries, which are not subject to it. The answer is therefore to introduce the price system to those natural resources so that we don't run out of them.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Samiun
10-11-2012, 08:56 AM
Alhamdulillah, now they can bring back the v12s in F1!

IbnAbdulHakim
10-11-2012, 09:40 AM
I feel uneasy about this, to be honest I still dont think Oil will last for that long.

A serious question is how long (how many years) have we been using a huge amount of oil for now? and people already are speaking about depletion, bad sign no?

Samiun
10-11-2012, 10:30 PM
Good question I've read a book once and it said it'll run out in2030s. Still, ppl are already finding alternative(bro u shud checkout James may biggest idea on utube )

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IbnAbdulHakim
10-12-2012, 11:03 AM
I am probably one of the few brothers who strongly believes that the end of the world is close (not more then 300 years left) and this is based on years of islamic findings from classical scholars.

So I strongly believe that the depletion of oil will spark something huge. Question is when...

Samiun
10-21-2012, 09:30 AM
^Can I know of any such scholars who holds that opinion? I think I might check them out Inshallah. Now I am currently keeping my eyes peeled for the remaining last signs(big) they said that all the small ones have already been seen but I doubt that. Maybe a few more but not all, like woman more than man

IbnAbdulHakim
10-21-2012, 10:26 AM
one from the top of my head is imam as-suyuti. I read it in one of al-ghazali's books (Remembrance of Death) (rahmatullahi alaihima).

Mustafa2012
10-21-2012, 04:21 PM
The West has already started to invest in other types of fuel like solar energy, electric powered cars, wind powered electricity generator farms, seed based fuel etc.

I don't know how much Muslim countries are investing in these alternative forms of energy though.

جوري
10-21-2012, 04:30 PM
People have invented cars that run on water, energy sources using gravity, electrical, multiple alternate routes, but why would they want to back off when they can subjugate others and drone their people? It takes care of their other panic 'population explosion' Essentially, you've very greedy people who aren't happy until they have everything and to heck with everyone else, even though there's plenty and I mean plenty to go around.

Allah swt didn't create us without providing for us in every way. It is people who withhold not Allah swt.

:w:

Mustafa2012
10-22-2012, 12:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by شَادِنُ
People have invented cars that run on water, energy sources using gravity, electrical, multiple alternate routes, but why would they want to back off when they can subjugate others and drone their people? It takes care of their other panic 'population explosion' Essentially, you've very greedy people who aren't happy until they have everything and to heck with everyone else, even though there's plenty and I mean plenty to go around.

Allah swt didn't create us without providing for us in every way. It is people who withhold not Allah swt.

Good points. Jazak Allaahu khayr.

Yes the shortage of oil can be used to create fear and gain more control over various parts of the world when we can easily survive using other types of energy.

There is also a huge waste of wealth gained by the Muslim oil producing countries. The way they spend money is like the oil is never going to run out and there is such a huge disparity between the rich and poor even in Muslim countries.

جوري
10-22-2012, 12:44 AM
I have written extensively on this matter including of the gas pipe line that runs through Afghanistan, taliban or not Afghanistan has been ravaged through the centuries by greedy b@stards and still, our only consolation is that it is truly the graveyard of empires.. al7mdullilah, Allah swt fashioned it in such a way that its people can know its crevices while foreigners have two choices either drones or on foot and let's face it, that method didn't work so well for them in Vietnam and it hasn't worked well for them here either.. they can only try a psychological warfare via media but I don't think the afghanis are tuning in, I don't think they give a fig.
Nonetheless of the rest of the region which is chaotic we have so many resources there that should be afforded us just for being born Muslim as used to occur during the caliphate and with Umar Ibn Ilkhtaab but now we can barely hold on to our dignity from being squandered on the floor while our lives are fodder to the filth of human kind..

wla 7wala wla qiwta illa billah..
sabron jameel..

I am so tired I am gonna call it a night but I agree with your posts..

Mustafa2012
10-22-2012, 01:07 AM
I have written extensively on this matter including of the gas pipe line that runs through Afghanistan, taliban or not Afghanistan has been ravaged through the centuries by greedy b@stards and still, our only consolation is that it is truly the graveyard of empires.. al7mdullilah, Allah swt fashioned it in such a way that its people can know its crevices while foreigners have two choices either drones or on foot and let's face it, that method didn't work so well for them in Vietnam and it hasn't worked well for them here either.. they can only try a psychological warfare via media but I don't think the afghanis are tuning in, I don't think they give a fig.
Nonetheless of the rest of the region which is chaotic we have so many resources there that should be afforded us just for being born Muslim as used to occur during the caliphate and with Umar Ibn Ilkhtaab but now we can barely hold on to our dignity from being squandered on the floor while our lives are fodder to the filth of human kind..

wla 7wala wla qiwta illa billah..
sabron jameel..

I am so tired I am gonna call it a night but I agree with your posts..

Yes I agree, I remember reading in some newspaper once that General Petraeus - Head of the entire U.S army in Afghanistan was quoted as saying that Afghanistan is rich in oil and has billions of dollars of precious minerals. He said it was his job to secure the oil pipelines and supply routes.

The Taliban is just an excuse they feed to the media which the masses of ignorant TV dinner type people believe as fact. They couldn't care less about them.

I mean just look at Libya and Syria.

Now why did they help the Libyans and ignore the Syrians.

Could it have had anything to do with the vast premium quality oil reserves they had? And their close connections to Gaddafi?

On the other hand, what does Syria have to offer them? Nothing!

That pretty much explains their entire foreign policy.

جوري
10-22-2012, 01:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mustafa2012
On the other hand, what does Syria have to offer them? Nothing!
That baboon is doing a good job for them already, their wishes for Iraq are being done in Syria without them losing cent of limb so why not. What I can't stand are all the dumb assed gofers who think that he's a good leader, you tell me someone who killed 80,000 of his own people and not lifted a finger against Israel if even to secure his own borders and golan heights..
He also just recently assassinated a Sunni Intelligence chief in Lebanon.
The western wish for us aside from completely bleeding us dry out of resources, annihilating the religion, killing ahel as'sunnah is to have any minority ride a majority and then talking their empty rhetoric, their florid words on TV. I do wonder if the average westerner is that dumb but then when I browse this forum and see their replies I can't help but think they're the perfect vessel to imbue all that dung.

does this make sense to you? because I am half asleep, I had so few hours in the past four days, all days together probably no more than 6 total.. so I just want to know if I am still lucid and coherent lol

Mustafa2012
10-22-2012, 01:35 AM
That baboon is doing a good job for them already, their wishes for Iraq are being done in Syria without them losing cent of limb so why not. What I can't stand are all the dumb assed gofers who think that he's a good leader, you tell me someone who killed 80,000 of his own people and not lifted a finger against Israel if even to secure his own borders and golan heights..
He also just recently assassinated a Sunni Intelligence chief in Lebanon.
The western wish for us aside from completely bleeding us dry out of resources, annihilating the religion, killing ahel as'sunnah is to have any minority ride a majority and then talking their empty rhetoric, their florid words on TV. I do wonder if the average westerner is that dumb but then when I browse this forum and see their replies I can't help but think they're the perfect vessel to imbue all that dung.

does this make sense to you? because I am half asleep, I had so few hours in the past four days, all days together probably no more than 6 total.. so I just want to know if I am still lucid and coherent lol

You're doing ok for someone who's sleep typing!

Another set of good points. Why would they want to interfere with the good job that their chief agent Assad is doing for them in Syria? It's like a dream come true for them.

I mean if it wasn't for these recent massacres most people would have thought that Assad was a good sunni leader. It's only because he drew so much attention on himself that everyone now knows what an evil ba'thi shaytaan of a Western puppet he is.

Anyways, you better get some sleep now before you start hallucinating.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!