/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Salam my question is is it haram or wrong or bad to judge a person based on how they

truthseeker63
10-12-2012, 02:54 AM
Salam my question is is it haram or wrong or bad to judge a person based on how they look based on this Hadith quote ?

Examples of the Prophet's sayings

The Prophet said:

'God does not judge according to your bodies and appearances but He scans your hearts and looks into your deeds.'

From the hadith collections of Bukhari, Muslim, Tirmidhi and Bayhaqi.

http://www.islamicbulletin.com/intro.htm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Scimitar
10-12-2012, 03:42 AM
I think it's wrong to judge someone without any solid proofs, full stop. We cannot know what is in the heart of a person until his deeds expose him/her.

Even then, the chance for repentance and corrective behaviour is still open.

Not sure if that helps, but this is how I feel.

Snowflake
10-12-2012, 09:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by truthseeker63
Salam my question is is it haram or wrong or bad to judge a person based on how they look based on this Hadith quote ?

Examples of the Prophet's sayings

The Prophet said:
'God does not judge according to your bodies and appearances but He scans your hearts and looks into your deeds.'

From the hadith collections of Bukhari, Muslim, Tirmidhi and Bayhaqi.

http://www.islamicbulletin.com/intro.htm

Wa alaykum assalam wa rahmatullahi wb,

Just to clarify, the above hadith doesn't mean it's ok to dress in any manner we please, but that being appropriately dressed isn't sufficient as our intentions and actions must be righteous too if Allah subhana wa ta'ala is going to be pleased with us.

However, as far as people judging people verbally, or in our hearts for any matter, then this is totally wrong. We should advise them if they are inappropriately dressed. Advising is different from judging and shows we care for their welfare in the dunya and hereafter. But only Allah ta 'ala has the knowledge of the condition of their hearts as it was, is, and will be in the future and we cannot judge someone by knowledge we don't have. Allah also forbids us from mocking and putting others down and say in Al Quran:

O ye who believe! Let not some men among you laugh at others: It may be that the (latter) are better than the (former): Nor let some women laugh at others: It may be that the (latter are better than the (former): Nor defame nor be sarcastic to each other, nor call each other by (offensive) nicknames: Ill-seeming is a name connoting wickedness, (to be used of one) after he has believed: And those who do not desist are (indeed) doing wrong. Quran [49:11]

Remaining silent in what does not concern us is a form of justice, as we have not spoken ill of someone without knowledge. Justice is obligatory and Allah told Muhammad (salallahu alayhi wa sallam):

“…If you judge, judge between them with justice…” (Quran 5:42)

The Prophet (pbuh) warned us against speaking of that which does not concern us. For instance if we are walking down the street with a friend, and see a man and women drive past whom we know to be non mahrams. We are forbidden from asking our companion if they saw what we just did, or making any kinds of remarks about them. Thus the same applies to judging people by their clothing and commenting about them. If we cannot advise them then we should remain silent. Astaghfirullahal adheemalladhi la ilaha illahuwal Hayyul Qayyumu wa`atoobu ilay.

In a hadith related on the authority of Mu'adh, the Prophet (s) said, "Shall I not tell you how to control all that?" I said, "Yes do, O Messenger of Allah." So he held his tongue between his fingers, and then he said: "Restrain this." I said, "Oh Prophet of Allah, are we accountable for what we say?" He (s) said, "May your mother be bereft by your loss! Is there anything more than the harvest of the tongues that throws people on their faces (or he said 'on their noses') into the Fire?"

Sahih Bukhari, Volume 8, Book 73, Number 160, Narrated Abu Huraira
The Prophet

said, "Whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day, should serve his guest generously; and whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day, should unite the bond of kinship (i.e. keep good relation with his Kith and kin); and whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day, should talk what is good or keep quiet. "

(In Shariah (the Islamic judicial system) however, Islam has set the criteria by which a Ruler/Islamic judge can pass judgment, prescribe penalties/punishments and settle conflicts between people. But this does'nt apply to the question here.)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!