/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Letters to our would be children

جوري
10-15-2012, 12:52 AM
Crazy isn't it.. to write to children who aren't conceived and when you're not yet married-- but I have written my non-existent kid a couple of letters and saved them and it felt good..
Sometimes I look at my nieces and nephews and think of how much they've changed through the years and how different they are than what we imagined them to be or at least what I imagined which isn't necessarily a bad thing as they do surprise us with their own talents and interests and become their own beings.. but if they could know of who you're through your letters would it change them or if God forbid a child looses a parent would they want letters from them as a sort of assurance from beyond the grave..

I am hoping if you're not too shy to write letters to your would be children or to your already existing ones that you'd want them to know about you or would want to leave them as a well to carry in your absence to pls. post them here!

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Aprender
10-15-2012, 04:10 AM
I have a journal that I wrote that I intended to give to children some day if I ever get married or ever have them. And if not, maybe my younger siblings or parents can read them if something should happen to me.

The journal is something I wrote on my journey toward Islam and the struggles that I have with it. Also serves as a reminder for myself as to why I continue to try to hold on to the rope of Allah. At least reading it they'll get to see a side of me that no one ever bothered to ask about. And if future children are to read it, then perhaps my own struggles will help them appreciate life, and appreciate Islam a little more...especially when it gets hard and they forget....

CosmicPathos
10-15-2012, 04:18 AM
hmm, I find it a bit weird that you guys are willing to share private journal with anyone .... I'd feel embarassed if my children/parents/siblings read about my innermost thoughts.

glo
10-15-2012, 06:18 AM
I think it's a lovely idea, Skye and Aprender.
Reading those thoughts will give your children a very personal insight into your lives and feelings one day. :statisfie

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
10-15-2012, 09:47 AM
I need someone else to go first lol
How about a small excerpt?

Riana17
10-15-2012, 10:37 AM
I would love to do that, though I am not a writer, If ever i would compose one, that would be something to express our love for him and reminder to live simple, be patient and always try to follow our Holy Prophet Muhammad. If he follow him, inshallah there is nothing he cant conquer. What else a parent would want his/her child to be, except to live peacefully in Islamic life, I hope we all knew from the beginning.

At my age I think there is nothing much to discover in this life anymore. Bottom line is, as long as we live simple, do not hurt anyone, be always thankful to Allah swt, I am sure we will all gonna be Okay. I dont have Big dream or pressure for myself, or others, especially my own kid.

جوري
10-15-2012, 11:04 AM
You don't have to be a writer to leave your kids with some answered questions :)-Fine I'll go first maybe it will give incentive to others:

this is from a later paragraph:

----------- Your name isn't one that I'd have picked out for you personally or one that had even ever crossed my mind. I have always wanted you to have a warrior's name and I'd have told you why it was chosen and you'd have been proud of it. I always hated the way my own mother picked out my name- it seems she had a lazy friend who told her to choose one where the first letter comes later in the alphabet so I wouldn't be first on oral exams.. as it turns out wherever I was, I was first anyway on the account we were picked by our last name and my last name did start with an early letter of the alphabet. No, yours would have been Khalid or Al'Mutasim or Umar but your cousin already goes by that name and it would have been terribly gauche to use it twice.

I had a tiff with her that day of how poorly everything was going for me and I went to my room and slammed the door and buried my face into the pillow, I had Mishary reciting in the background I always leave the Quran on in my room (I hope the Quran becomes a habit for you as well and that you'd love it and it brings you comfort) and it was of the glad tiding from that verse that I made the promise, that if I am blessed with the gift of you, that, that indeed shall be your name...
And maybe it is that Allah swt chooses the names for us anyway regardless of what we have in mind.. and I am reminded of the story of us going out with our cousins for dinner and the waiter asked 'what will Maryam have' pointing to the daughter of my cousin and she answered her name isn't maryam but the other one was indeed pregnant with Maryam.. so perhaps it is that our names are predestined.

orite.. someone else goes..

:w:

Qurratul Ayn
10-15-2012, 12:15 PM
:salamext:

^Nice :)

The idea seems similar to what Google have out there, that one should create videos, pictures and letters to your unborn children or or very young children, the advertisement is quite good...

Never crossed my mind to write such letters but may do so now... I'll think on it :)

جوري
10-15-2012, 12:20 PM
Google has such an idea :raging:
I am very suspicious of that search engine.. at any rate regardless of the letters I've been keeping journals since I was 8 .. when I read the old stuff I wanna vomit lols.. I tried to destroy it a couple of times but my dad retrieved it from the garbage for me so I must keep them.. but I think I want a religious direction because my earlier stuff is a far cry.

Qurratul Ayn
10-15-2012, 12:24 PM
I have been trying to not use Google and youtube but I don't know how else to show the advert that Google made! :hmm:

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4vkVHijdQk

B
ut I prefer the idea of it being more of the religious direction rather than just focssuing on oneself or just the child

جوري
10-15-2012, 12:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Qurratul Ayn
But I prefer the idea of it being more of the religious direction rather than just focssuing on oneself or just the child
Exactly.. I think it can reach them in a way that possibly active discipline can't - I even wrote this would be kid of my favorite suras and bad times I have had in which du3a availed me and my hopes that du3a will always and to be always armed with that whatever the vicissitudes of life...
It frightens me to much to look to the left and right and see the minute these kids are afflicted with something they turn away from religion and God or start being kaffirs.. I have one cousin who has been afflicted with two serious illnesses and he just gave up on everything.. I understand at his age he can't put things in perspective but I pray he comes out of it and comes out of it strong and aright on the sirat al mostqeem.

جوري
10-15-2012, 12:32 PM
I just saw that video.. It is like regular home videos people have of their kids.. It isn't really what I had in mind.. but similar I guess and I certainly don't want it digital it makes it less personal, even if it makes it neater and more legible :)

Hulk
10-15-2012, 01:19 PM
Wow!! Just just now I was thinking about recording a video of myself for my future kids! (inshaAllah)

جوري
10-15-2012, 01:22 PM
You should definitely let em in on your fascination with eggs lol.. 548539485934853 ways to make eggs ;D

Qurratul Ayn
10-15-2012, 02:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by شَادِنُ
I just saw that video.. It is like regular home videos people have of their kids.. It isn't really what I had in mind.. but similar I guess and I certainly don't want it digital it makes it less personal, even if it makes it neater and more legible
Ditto... I don't like the fact that it's digital but the idea is slightly similar to what you have proposed hence, I added the link :)

I am pondering on whether to make a scrapbook to pass on but then again I think, that's pathetic, I don't want to become attached to materialistic things as I know for sure, I will become very protective and possessive over the book if I were to make one... But letters, I may be able to do...

جوري
10-15-2012, 03:14 PM
Khyer in shaa Alllah--Make an entry here if you can..
One time my dad wrote something about me in one of his books and I loved it... I cherish it especially considering he says so little to me in real time.
So I disagree with Br. cosmic in this regard.. I guess it depends on content.. don't make it too mushy lol

Hulk
10-15-2012, 03:18 PM
I think I might make it a vlog kind of thing, like show them around cause by the time they're around things will probably be different hehe.

Muhaba
10-17-2012, 08:44 PM
nice idea, but i never thought of it. but i always thought of burying a box with memorable stuff for passing onto future generations and making a map showing where it is hidden. one could pass it onto their kids and let them look for it. it could have letters, coins, stamps, books, favorit video games, etc.

Muezzin
10-17-2012, 08:48 PM
Dear Unborn Child

This wasn't my idea, honest.

Dad

XoXoXo

جوري
10-17-2012, 08:50 PM
It was a fairly simple procedure!
Yeah I think this is a woman only project..

Re.TiReD
10-17-2012, 08:51 PM
I think this is such a cute idea Masha'Allah.

I started one for my little sister when she was born, sort of a 'Sabiha... this is your life' kind of thing from the day she was born, it lasted several months and then I ditched it, wish I hadn't, she's 9 years old now and I think she would have loved to read it.

IbnAbdulHakim
10-17-2012, 09:01 PM
hmm, i considered writing my letter but realised its impossible to do so without getting bogged down in emotion.

ok please please dont highlight if you dislike emotional stuff

---------------------------------------------------------

,.... i wrote a bit, erased it, wrote a bit again, thought its too emotional, erased it again.

and this is whats left... sorry !

---------------------------------------------------------

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!