/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Advice on teaching teenagers

anonymous
10-16-2012, 02:23 PM
Asalamu Alaykum dear brothers and sisters, I need your advice inshalalh
Basically I wanted to ask you what topics you think teenage sisters would be most interested in, like what would they actually listen to and benefit the most from. Any advice on the kind of topics I should avoid and talk about later or topics to avoid altogether?
Also to those members who have experience, I wanted to ask how do you make a class fun? like enjoyable but also a learning expeirnece for them aswell. Bearing in mind that they're teenagers, nothing too childish inshallah

Your comments will be much appreciated!
Jazaakalahu khayr in advance.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
10-16-2012, 03:16 PM
How about you ask them to write down what topics are of interest to them but without putting their names on the paper, go through them yourself and decide which ones are of importance which are to be tossed out and then put them in a glass jar and have a girl pick one at random and discuss it? Also do that for fun ideas of field trips etc.

I don't know the first thing about teaching so feel free to toss that idea out..

:w:

joesixpack
10-16-2012, 03:22 PM
It is never too early to discuss ANYTHING with your child, the only thing you must be conscious of is the language that you use. If a child feels comfortable that they may ask a parent anything, then they will come to you for guidance and not their friends. But for them to feel comfortable you must be frank and open with your answers. I think it's wrong to avoid certain topics because children will sense that those topics are forbidden to speak of. A child needs guidance from a parent on EVERY aspect of life, even those that may be uncomfortable for us to talk about.

I see kids in my community who commit suicide, I see kids who turn to drugs and alcohol. I have spoken to my sons as frankly as possible about those issues. I don't want them feel like they have to find their own way, I want them to know that they can come to me or their mother for help.

Edit to add; I see you're not speaking specifically about your own children. Sorry, I misunderstood the post, I think.

joyous fairy
10-16-2012, 03:43 PM
Salam,

Teens can be difficult people to deal with and sometimes the more you try, the more they throw it back in your face. I think what you should try and do is think about what you went through as a teen, what annoyed you, what interested you. I know things are different for the teenagers in this generation but I think emotions are always around so its good to look back and think of how you felt when you were that age.

Another thing, I think girls tend to like to talk and you can make the class more enjoyable by introducing topics that everyone has an opinion on.. For e.g, fashion, relationships, bullying, and even news articles. You could also encourage debates, I used to love having debates when I was that age.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
piXie
10-16-2012, 04:42 PM
wa'alaykum assalam

Depends on the teenagers, their ages, personalities, backgrounds, upbringing etc. Whichever topic you choose, try to bring it to their level and language so they can relate to it. Also, i've found its good to give them responsibility and roles. I used to teach a 14 year old who really used to disrupt the rest of the class and just wouldnt study etc. I didnt know how to deal with it at first but eventually I got her to teach with me, started praising her a lot, gave her big stars on the achievement chart, asked for her advice on different topics, and I found the difference in her behaviour and progress was amazing. You wont get with shouting what you will get with encouragement.

format_quote Originally Posted by joesixpack
A child needs guidance from a parent on EVERY aspect of life
Indeed, so do we.

He (Allaah) says:

.....We have revealed to you the Book, which clarifies every matter, a guidance, a mercy.... (Chapter 16:89)

anonymous
10-17-2012, 04:36 PM
Jazaakumullaahi khayr for the responses and feedback! Much appreciated
Would anyone mind sharing any (appropriate) topics that would interest teenage girls just as a starting point on where I should begin, jzk

IbnAbdulHakim
10-17-2012, 04:37 PM
what are you suppose to be teaching them?

Muhammad
10-17-2012, 06:13 PM
:salamext:

You may have to think about how to make your class creative and interesting. Usually youngsters in general don't like sitting and listening to someone talking. So you have to think of how to keep their attention through introducing practical tasks that they'll enjoy, making the class interactive (though not all children like talking), etc.

anonymous
10-17-2012, 06:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
what are you suppose to be teaching them?
Islam in general but the problem is that obviously this is too broad and I dont know which topic would be best to start with

format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad
:salamext:

You may have to think about how to make your class creative and interesting. Usually youngsters in general don't like sitting and listening to someone talking. So you have to think of how to keep their attention through introducing practical tasks that they'll enjoy, making the class interactive (though not all children like talking), etc.
:wa: They're not really youngsters, min 13 or 14 i think, max 19
any examples on how to make the class interactive?
JZK

IbnAbdulHakim
10-17-2012, 06:40 PM
I normally manage to sink in my nieces attention by shouting a lot lol

"EH, THIS IS SERIOUS STUFF LISTEN! EEEH!"

she starts laughing but actually pays attention.

then you can tell them whats important, yet interesting which is the case with every topic which discusses al-akhirah in islam. Imam ghazalis remembrance of death is an AMAZINGLY gripping book, take a few pages from there and give them a taste.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!