/* */

PDA

View Full Version : New Job..

anonymous
10-17-2012, 06:18 AM
Asalamu Alaikum
Recently there was a well paying job offer to a relative of mine but hes worried whether its allowed or not.
I tried to do some research but can anyone shed some light on this topic?
The job is Life insurance . Its not interest based and all he has to do is present the idea to a number of clients and that's it.
So inshallah please reply with daleel
Jazakallahu Khayr
Asalamu Alaikum

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
10-17-2012, 08:36 AM
our prophet sallallahi alaihi wasallaam said avoid what you doubt right?

I know for example that if I was to take that job I would always have a doubt inside me.

its a short life no point risking the next one :)

tigerkhan
10-22-2012, 06:01 AM
:sl:
i would suggest to discuss it with some authentic scholar.

aamirsaab
10-22-2012, 12:04 PM
There is a misconception amongst Muslims that Life insurance (otherwise known as Takaful in Islam) is haram. This could not be further from the truth. It is perfectly permissible to both use and sell Life insurance in Islam.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Musaafirah
10-22-2012, 01:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
There is a misconception amongst Muslims that Life insurance (otherwise known as Takaful in Islam) is haram. This could not be further from the truth. It is perfectly permissible to both use and sell Life insurance in Islam.
Really?
This is the first I've heard. What evidence do you have for this?
(Please don't be offended. I'm curious and never heard it to be halaal.)

'Abd-al Latif
10-22-2012, 01:33 PM
:salamext:

Shaykh Ibn Baaz said the following:

Praise be to Allaah.

Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked about life insurance, and he said:

Insurance of one’s life or possessions is haraam and is not permitted, because it involves gharar (buying/selling something where it is not known whether what is being bought/sold will actually be achieved/delivered, or in what specific quantity, thus putting one’s money at undue risk to being lost) and riba (usury, interest). Allaah has forbidden all transactions that are based on riba, and all transactions which involve deceit, as a mercy to this ummah, and to protect them from that which may harm them. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“whereas Allaah has permitted trading and forbidden Ribaa”[al-Baqarah 2:275]

And it was narrated in a saheeh report that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade deceit. And Allaah is the source of strength.

Fataawa Islamiyyah, 3/5

IbnAbdulHakim
10-22-2012, 01:38 PM
also found this:

Question ID:8332
Working for a life insurance company
Answered by Shaykh Muhammad ibn Adam al-Kawthari

Question:
I work for a life assurance company dealing with bonds, pensions and life assurance. I work as an administrator taking quote details and answering phone calls but do not directly sell to people. What is the position with my income? Do I have to leave this Job?

Answer:

In the name of Allah, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful,

Firstly, when taking up employment, one needs to consider two things:

1) The nature of the actual job one is undertaking, and

2) The source of the income that one will be receiving.

In order for a job to be considered Islamically lawful, both the actual job and the source of income have to be Halal.

Secondly, all prevalent forms of commercial insurance are unlawful, whether it is the insurance of goods, insurance of responsibility or insurance of one's life and body. Life insurance and life assurance is exactly the same product. Whether one takes out a plan as life insurance or life assurance, one will be involved in Riba transactions. If one was to die within one's policy term, the life insurance/life assurance policy would pay out the agreed guaranteed sum assured that one covered one's self for.

With regards to working in a life insurance/assurance company, if the work entails being directly involved in interest-based transactions, then that work would be considered unlawful. If your job as an "administrator" includes giving advice on insurance and interest based transactions or helping a customer take up an insurance policy, then your job would not be lawful, as you will be considered to have assisted another in sin, which has been prohibited by the Qur'an.

Then there is also the aspect of the source of your income that needs to be considered. If the company is giving you your salary from the profits it made, then it will not be Halal for you to take that salary, as the company would have made this profit through unlawful means.

Thus, in conclusion, if you are dealing with life insurance policies by giving advice and helping clients take up a life insurance policy, then your work and the resulting wage would be considered unlawful. You should try and seek another alternative Halal job. Until you find an alternative job, you may provide for your family by carrying on working in the company, but try and leave this job as soon as possible.

And Allah knows best

Muhammad ibn Adam al-Kawthari

Darul Iftaa, Leicester, UK

www.daruliftaa.com

'Abd-al Latif
10-22-2012, 01:39 PM
:salamext:

Here are some videos on this topic also.

Is life insurance allowed in Islam - Sheikh Dr. Muhammad Salah

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=sZrmU...mU7mU-T0&gl=GB

Medical and life insurance by Aasim al Hakeem.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwrel&v=yYGdRQ1ndeU

aamirsaab
10-22-2012, 02:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Musaafirah
Really?
This is the first I've heard. What evidence do you have for this?
(Please don't be offended. I'm curious and never heard it to be halaal.)
Apologies. Allow me to clarify:

There is nothing wrong with Life insurance as a whole - you are merely making provisions for your family. The only problem with Western Life insurance is generally speaking that it's being sold at a premium (interest) - Takaful, inherently is a not for profit product. Everything else is exactly the same: same level of risk, same product.

The OP said there was no interest involved, so I don't see how the product, nor the job itself is haram.

Muhaba
10-23-2012, 05:46 PM
There are many reasons why insurance is regarded haram. one reason is that the money paid for insurance (the premium) is invested by the insurance company. if the insurance company is non-muslim then it's possible that they invest it in haram businesses, earn interest on it, etc. Since what you get includes profit from this investment, you may be getting haram money.

another reason is that insurance is "gharar" that is it has too much uncertainity. there is uncertainity that the risk will befall the insured. so in insurance one party will lose while the other gains. this is like gambling and lottery. however, many people regard insurance to be allowed because it is like community service. many people getting together to help one or a few. however, this would only be if whatever amount is leftover (after all costs and expenses have been paid) were set aside for the beneficiaries or used in community service and not taken as profit by the insurance company.

many scholars have allowed some forms of insuranc (such as car insurance, health insurance, etc) but there is a difference of opinion regarding life-insurance.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!