/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Shahada

Sumaiya54
10-19-2012, 12:50 AM
Assalamu Aleikum guys, haven't posted for a while now :/

When I said my shahada, I just said Arabic part La Ilaha Illulah Muhammedan Rasoolulah, not the English, I bear witness that there is only One God and that Muhammed is his last and final messenger.

Was I supposed to say it in English ...?People are saying that I should have said English also but I dont know!!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hulk
10-19-2012, 01:00 AM
wa alaykum salam

Sis the shahada is "Ash hadu ALLAAA ilaaha illallaah wa ash-hadu anna Muhammadar-rasoolullaah"
"La ilaha illa Allah" means "There is no god but Allah" without the "I bear witness".

From what I know you don't have to say it in English since you know what it means and meant it/verbalised it.

Also, we say the shahada everytime we pray. How wonderful is that.

Muslim Woman
10-19-2012, 01:08 AM
:wa:

Welcome to Islam sis :)

no , it's not a must to utter the shahada in english .

And Allah Knows Best.

Aprender
10-19-2012, 02:07 AM
walaykum salaam wa rahmatullahi wa barkaatuh,

:) I didn't say mine in English. Knew exactly what I was saying in Arabic. Still felt amazing and at peace after uttering those words in Arabic. Only time I've seen people say it in English is if it's someone who is coming to Islam and not really sure what the Arabic means so they do it in Arabic and the native language of the person.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muwaahid
10-19-2012, 05:50 PM
أركان شهادتين: the pillars of the shahaadah are two: and they are nafee[negation] and ithbaat [affirmation] the first is nafee [negation] and it your saying laa ilaaha and it nullifies shirk in all of its different categories and manifestations and it necessitates disbelief in everything that is worshipped besides Allah.[who is worshipped besides Allah except that they are taken as a god besides Allah?] And the second pillar is Ithbaat [affirmation] and it is your saying illa Allah and it is to affirm that verily nothing is worthy of worship except Allah and it is mandatory to have all your actions in accordance with that[meaning singling out Allah alone for all acts of worship] there are many verses in the Quraan that evidence this point like Allah says, "whoever disbelieves in false deities and believes in Allah." [2:256] so you say for example, "man yakfur bit-taaghut" whoever disbelieves in Taaghut" this is indicated in the first pillar laa ilaaha [negation] and Allah says, "wa yu'min billah" and believes in Allah and this indicates the second pillar of the shahadah which is illa Allah [except Allah] and this is also found in the statement of Ibraheem [alayhi salam] in the Quran where Allah says, "Innanee baraa'un mimmaa ta'budoon" Indeed I am free of you and that which you worship [zukhroof:26] "innanee baraa'un" "indeed I am free" which takes the meaning of and this is ithbaat [affirmation]negation. and "illa alladhe fataranee" "except for He who created me" is the affirmation. So for our shahaadah to be correct is that we must disbelieve in all false deities and believe in Allah, reject worshipping all false deities and worship Allah alone. Direct all ibaadah to Allah alone and not devote any aspect or part of worship to other than Allah. I remember Shaykh Ubayd Bin Jaabiree mentioned a principle, "al-amiru bi shay'in nahaa an dhidhdhihi wa nahaa bi shayin amir bi dhidhidhi" being commanded with something [whether in the Quran or the Authentic Sunnah] is also a prohibition of doing its opposite and being prohibitted from something is a command to do its opposite" I hope this is clear.

Sumaiya54
10-19-2012, 08:10 PM
Asalaamu Aleikum,
JazakAllah khler for all of your information, I actually converted 6 months ago and wanted to clear it up. Thanks for taking your time to answer my question :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!