/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islam and Torah

Zabel
10-21-2012, 05:47 AM
What is the relationship between Islam and the Jewish Torah?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
soloqi
10-30-2012, 04:45 AM
Hi im sorry you have been ignored, I was taught that Christian and Jews were and are refereed to as 'People of The Book' . The Bible as the Torah are holy scriptures in Islam, Moses and Isa (Jesus) are in Islam messengers of God therefore the books containing their teachings are in essence the words of God. You have to forgive me as i have not read a translation of the Torah or Talmud so there fore cannot go any further on this.

Abu Loren
02-18-2013, 01:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zabel
Salaam,

The only relationship between Islam and the Jewish Torah is that Prophet Muhammad (SalAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) acknowledged that the Torah was given to Prophet Musa (Alayhi Salaam). The Torah was specifically for the Children of Israel and the Prophet (SalAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) even used it to make judgments for the Jews of Medina.

Since the revelation of the Holy Qur'an mankind is to follow only that. Therefore, it is safe to say that the Torah is replaced by the Holy Qur'an. By the way, the Torah has been corrupted by the hands of men over time and it is not the message that Prophet Musa (Alayhi Salaam) was given. I don't know if you are aware but Prophet Muhammad (SalAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) invited the Jews (and the Christians) to be part of the new Muhammadan covenent but they refused.

Prior to the revelation of the Holy Qur'an, which is a mercy to all mankind from Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala, everyone must follow the rules and law as stipulated in it. To be part of the new covenent of God one must utter the words "Ashadu anla Ilaha IllAllah wa Ashadu anna Muhammadan abduhu rasooluhu".

Muslim Woman
02-18-2013, 04:50 PM
Salaam/ Peace

both came from God Almighty.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
YusufNoor
02-18-2013, 05:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zabel
:sl:

just a reminder, when the Qur'an refers to the Torah it is referring to revelations given to Prophet Moses, pbuh, and NOT the current collections of writings called the Pentateuch or Torah. the current Torah is a collection of writings put together by Jeremiah and his scribe Baruch. they gave the work it's current shape as well as writing Deuteronomy and a few passages as well. the final redactor editor was Ezra. (according to Prof. Richard Elliott Friedman.)

peace

Abu Loren
02-18-2013, 05:42 PM
Similarly the Injil is not the gospels they have today. These New Testament were selected by the Trinitarians at the Council of Nicea c AD325. However, I submit that they contain some words of Mashih Isa (Alayhi Salaam).

IAmZamzam
02-18-2013, 08:12 PM
Nobody knows who wrote the Pentateuch we have today. In fact scholars are still arguing over how many different authors it had, and even if the original manuscripts of one single book of the Bible were to pop up (which has yet to happen), we’ll never really have any way of knowing it for sure. But the Qur’an does speak of a Taurat being given to Moses and that is an obvious cognate for “Torah”. The Qur’an also says in 7:157 and 4:46-47 that it is confirming what was prophesied in that Tauratbut let’s not open up THAT old can of worms again. It’s starting to stink by now. Anyway, the relationship between the Qur’an and the Torah can be summed up by saying that the Pentateuch (or at the very least the original version of what we may call the Pentateuch) was the first of four original scriptures mentioned as being sent down before being, in most or all cases, corrupted by human hands. Right now I don’t want to bother finding all the verses wherein these things are mentioned but here is the list:

1. The Pentateuch (al-Taurat)
2. The Scroll of Abraham (Suhuf Ibraham), now lost or difficult to identify
3. The Davidic Psalms (al-Zabur)
4. The original, true Gospel (al-Injil), also now lost or difficult to identify (but perhaps not impossible)

Unsurprisingly there are a lot of parallels between the Pentateuch and The Qur’an, including a lot of shared stories. So it’s a fairly close relationship, I suppose.

Woodrow
02-18-2013, 09:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yahya Sulaiman
Nobody knows who wrote the Pentateuch we have today. In fact scholars are still arguing over how many different authors it had, and even if the original manuscripts of one single book of the Bible were to pop up (which has yet to happen), we’ll never really have any way of knowing it for sure. But the Qur’an does speak of a Taurat being given to Moses and that is an obvious cognate for “Torah”. The Qur’an also says in 7:157 and 4:46-47 that it is confirming what was prophesied in that Tauratbut let’s not open up THAT old can of worms again. It’s starting to stink by now. Anyway, the relationship between the Qur’an and the Torah can be summed up by saying that the Pentateuch (or at the very least the original version of what we may call the Pentateuch) was the first of four original scriptures mentioned as being sent down before being, in most or all cases, corrupted by human hands. Right now I don’t want to bother finding all the verses wherein these things are mentioned but here is the list:

1. The Pentateuch (al-Taurat)
2. The Scroll of Abraham (Suhuf Ibraham), now lost or difficult to identify
3. The Davidic Psalms (al-Zabur)
4. The original, true Gospel (al-Injil), also now lost or difficult to identify (but perhaps not impossible)

Unsurprisingly there are a lot of parallels between the Pentateuch and The Qur’an, including a lot of shared stories. So it’s a fairly close relationship, I suppose.
If the actual Tauret still existed in it's true form, it would carry the same message as the Qur'an. Reading the Hebrew Torah I believe it has retained a lot of the original which is why there is much similarity between it and the Qur'an. However, one needs to be mindful, the Torah of today is not the original and does contain errors and omissions.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!