/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hi

Mistrique
10-21-2012, 06:53 PM
Hello my name is Anthony and I live in Ireland. I am athiest/agnostic and I want to learn more about Islam.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hulk
10-21-2012, 06:55 PM
Hi Mistrique welcome to the forum! Would you mind sharing why you want to learn about Islam?

Mistrique
10-21-2012, 07:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hulk
Would you mind sharing why you want to learn about Islam?
Sure.
As I say I don't believe in god and throughout my life I have read the bible, Torah, Bhagavad gita etc and none of them convinced me. Then I read the Quaran and I still wasn't convinced (I am a man of science after all) but I did feel when I was reading the Quaran something different to all the others and that is why I am here to go collect more information and to make sure that I didn't miss something.

Hulk
10-21-2012, 07:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mistrique
Sure.
As I say I don't believe in God and throughout my life I have read the Bible, Torah, Bhagavad gita etc and none of them convinced me. Then I read the Quran and I still wasn't convinced (I am a man of science after all) but I did feel when I was reading the Quran something different to all the others and that is why I am here to go collect more information and to make sure that I didn't miss something.
Ah I see, thanks for sharing your background.

There is actually a proper way to read through the Quran and that is with a proper teacher. Reading it on our own often means that we are subject to our own interpretation of the translator's interpretation. It's not merely because the Quran is in arabic but also because of the depth of meaning in it's verses.

Anyway, have a good stay!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Mistrique
10-21-2012, 07:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hulk
Ah I see, thanks for sharing your background.

There is actually a proper way to read through the Quran and that is with a proper teacher. Reading it on our own often means that we are subject to our own interpretation of the translator's interpretation. It's not merely because the Quran is in arabic but also because of the depth of meaning in it's verses.

Anyway, have a good stay!
You wouldn't believe how hard it is to find an "authorative" translation.

Aprender
10-21-2012, 07:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mistrique
You wouldn't believe how hard it is to find an "authorative" translation.
Welcome to the forum. It's nice to have you here with us. Yes, I know it is hard to find a good translation. There are a lot of misleading ones out there with some questionable material. I had the same problem when I was learning about Islam for the first time. That's why I am glad that the Quran is preserved in Arabic.

Try "The Quran" by Muhammad A S Abdel Haleem. It's a more modern translation that's easy to read. Have you read anything about the Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him?

Mistrique
10-21-2012, 07:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aprender
Have you read anything about the Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him?
I know his life story and I have read a part of the hadith where he reprimands one of his followers for cursing while stoning an adulterer.

sister herb
10-21-2012, 08:35 PM
Hi!

Welcome to forum. I know some Irishs. Also some from North Irishs. They too are agnostics. I have no problem to talk with them.

Cabdullahi
10-21-2012, 09:13 PM
Guy from ireland named anthony chooses 'mistrique' as his username......:(

The above is as horrendous as a nigerian guy named batumbu choosing 'beyonce' as his username

Hulk
10-22-2012, 12:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cabdullahi
Guy from ireland named anthony chooses 'mistrique' as his username......
The above is as horrendous as a nigerian guy named batumbu choosing 'beyonce' as his username
why is it horrendous man i don't get it is there something wrong with mistrique? It's not the blue shapeshifting mutant if that's what you're thinking.

Mistrique
10-23-2012, 06:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
Welcome to forum. I know some Irishs. Also some from North Irishs. They too are agnostics. I have no problem to talk with them.
Thanks it's great to speak to people who don't go insane when you tell them you don't believe in what they believe in (there are a lot of people like that here)

Guy from ireland named anthony chooses 'mistrique' as his username......

Mistrique is from the Mistrique symbol it means mystery. Something horrendous about mystery?

Cabdullahi
10-23-2012, 09:25 PM
it sounds feminine...like a r'n'b girl band, that's all.

Mistrique
10-23-2012, 09:28 PM
it sounds feminine...like a r'n'b girl band, that's all.
;D there wouldn't be anything horrendous about an rnb band would there? (im not offended btw and I hope you aren't either)

Cabdullahi
10-24-2012, 05:53 AM
no, nothing is horrendous about having the username mistrique :) i was joking with you, i think i might change my username to destiny's child.

Periwinkle18
10-24-2012, 07:27 AM
welcome to the forum hope u like it here

Mistrique
10-24-2012, 08:10 PM
i might change my username to destiny's child.
Sarcasm?

format_quote Originally Posted by Periwinkle18
welcome to the forum hope u like it here
Thank you

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!