/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Non-Muslim Wears a Hijab for an Educational Trip to the Mall...

joesixpack
10-23-2012, 02:20 PM
Here's a blog post by a gal who put on a hijab and went to the mall (here in the US). Long story short, someone called her a terrorist.

And then, in one store, a girl (who looked about four years old) asked her mom if my friend and I were terrorists. She wasn’t trying to be mean or anything. I don’t even think she could have grasped the idea of prejudice. However, her mother’s response is one I can never forgive or forget. The mother hushed her child, glared at me, and then took her daughter by the hand and led her out of the store.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Predator
10-23-2012, 02:26 PM
We can say the same about the beard and skullcap ,the male counterpart of hijab .

جوري
10-23-2012, 02:35 PM
Being called a terrorist is not as bad as trying to mow a Muslim girl down or asking her off a bus under threat, both happened to a friend of mine.
'Free and brave' to have bad manners and ignoramus understanding.
Does the word bother you guys that much? I think it is the least of our troubles they're looting and droning while name calling? I think droning and looting and having false wars meant to deprive you of all that Allah swt bestowed you from dignity and decent life is the bigger disappointment here.

:w:

Darth Ultor
10-23-2012, 02:35 PM
^ Skullcap? Naw. A turban or keffiyeh would make ignorant bigots go "TERR'IST".

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
hur575
10-23-2012, 03:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Darth Ultor
^ Skullcap? Naw. A turban or keffiyeh would make ignorant bigots go "TERR'IST".
A Sikh guy was killed after 9/11 mistaken for a Muslim!

White Rose
10-23-2012, 07:54 PM
What should I say, the liberal women are ashamed of being/becoming a woman thats why they are threatened by a hijabi who looks like a beautiful woman in character and manners ;D.

IbnAbdulHakim
10-23-2012, 07:59 PM
she should go one step further.

Wear it again but this time when she goes out, she should be bold and smile at everyone (the females) and beam at the store clerk who wouldnt look at her.

It feels amazing to do that trust me. People come out of that weird feeling they get as soon as you make contact, but I noticed, since we are the ones being different... we have to be the ones to make the extra effort.

White Rose
10-23-2012, 08:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
It feels amazing to do that trust me. People come out of that weird feeling they get as soon as you make contact, but I noticed, since we are the ones being different... we have to be the ones to make the extra effort.
You know my friend says that as well but the thing is, do it if you feel comfortable. If you dont feel comfortable looking and smiling at people, then its okay. You are pleasing Allah in the end, not the people.

joyous fairy
10-23-2012, 08:02 PM
Hmm this happens quite often. Especially to sisters who wear the niqab :(

glo
10-23-2012, 08:28 PM
Well, I try to smile at everybody I meet, but I especially try to make eye contact and smile at hijabis and niqabis ... which is not always possible when they avoid eye contact.
But I am always ready to smile, in case they look at me. :)

IbnAbdulHakim
10-23-2012, 09:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ارجمند
You know my friend says that as well but the thing is, do it if you feel comfortable. If you dont feel comfortable looking and smiling at people, then its okay. You are pleasing Allah in the end, not the people.

of course, no one can be forced to do what they are uncofortable with.

However, there was a time I found it very uncomfortable to smile and speak with a stranger. Now I do it all the time.

sister herb
10-23-2012, 09:55 PM
Many times I am surprise if people gaze at me and i wonder why. Sometimes later I remember "oh because of hijab!". But it is so normal clotch to me I don´t even remember it isn´t normal to some others.

Last winter at one day I used a Palestinian scarf and one old lady said to hers husband "look, Palestinian! A terrorist!" I turned to them, smiled and said "free Palestine".

Maybe they still think they met a real terrorist.

;D

Aprender
10-23-2012, 10:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
Maybe they still think they met a real terrorist.
Lol. People around here don't even know what Palestine is....

No one has called me a terrorist yet. But I did have a woman a few days ago snatch her smiling daughter as she was coming in my direction to greet me. I can't help it if children like me. But there was another time where I was in a store once in another state here in the U.S. and a woman's daughter came up to me and started playing and talking to me. The mom just smiled and went back to looking through clothing racks. I suppose it depends where you live. Some people are just more open minded than others.

Mustafa2012
10-23-2012, 11:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by joesixpack
Here's a blog post by a gal who put on a hijab and went to the mall (here in the US). Long story short, someone called her a terrorist.
You know that's funny. When I was younger something similar happened to me.

I was standing talking to my cousin in the front yard of his house.

There was traffic on the road for some reason and a car drove slowly past us.

As that happened, a small boy, he was probably around 5-7 years old was looking out the window of the car.

He looked at us and said to his parents, Hey look it's a "Paki"!

My cousin and I were both quite amazed but not offended since it was coming from an innocent child. We actually both laughed and joked about it because he said it so innocently and we weren't expecting it.

What we were shocked by was, who taught that little boy the word, "Paki"?

Zabel
10-24-2012, 01:48 AM
I've done this at a supermarket and a restaurant with a friend. We got a few extra looks, were asked if we were related, and got checked out once by a couple of middle eastern guys. Overall, I think our experience was more pleasant than it could have been because we did this in a diverse city/region.

Muwaahid
10-24-2012, 03:19 AM
What I find odd is that those who they blamed for 911 were mostly of not all clean shaven western dressed individuals, dont you think if they had on thobes and kufis and beards that the airport officials would have paid more attention? I mean seriously, as a muslim I dont mind second looks but I would never put up with disrespect, and Allah forbid me from seeing a sister disrespected, it would definitely not be a pretty site but none the less, you can always expect ignorant statements from disbelievers, it comes with the territory of being muslim. They act like the western media and newspapers is the veritable word of God by which no one can refute or explain. Its partially our fault do to us not giving dawah to people we are in contact with and knowlng our religion, I mean think about it, when the companions went into yemen and egypt and elsewhere, how do we explain the phenomena of the bulk of those people who llived in that land accepted Islam? What about here in the west? Why isnt America a muslim majority country? Think about it oh muslims...

Naeema
10-24-2012, 03:21 PM
Every so often, people, especially teenagers, will do experiments like this. One of my favorites is to try being in a wheelchair for a day so that you gain a basic understanding of things like how fun it is to open a door that only opens inward (it isn't) or to try food shopping when you can't reach anything on a higher shelf.  This type of experiential learning, walking a mile in another man's shoes, is invaluable in its ability to give someone a piece of understanding that simply cannot be obtained from the outside, in my opinion.

I've covered and uncovered my head for years (remember, I'm not a revert yet*.) While my reasons for covering have nearly always been religious (Catholic), sometimes they are practical too. The reactions have varied depending on where I live. In New York, everyone assumed I was Jewish. In the rural South, everyone assumed I was a conservative Christian. In Philadelphia, it was assumed I was a nun of some sort.

I first noticed a real change about two years ago when I wore a scarf to the hardware store after doing some yard work. I was modestly dressed on a very sunny day (I have very fair skin) and was wearing pants and a long sleeved blouse. I took off my work apron and very dirty bandanna and put on a cleaner scarf. I didn't think about it - it was just a way of tidying up a bit. I remember getting strange looks in the store that made me feel uncomfortable. Not from store clerks, who were happy to help me when I asked, but from other patrons. If I had been wearing a gopher costume while shopping, I don't think it would have been more odd.

On the reverse, I saw a Muslimah wearing hijab in the airport security line last year around Eid al Adha. I caught her attention and asked her where she got her beautiful and practical tunic. It stands out in my mind because she seemed very happy and perhaps a bit relieved to get asked such a normal question.

*One of these days. That's not for this discussion thread.

glo
10-26-2012, 06:21 AM
Loving your post, Naeema. Have you thought about blogging about your experiences?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!