/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Magic Haram?

ILuvAllah
10-31-2012, 08:30 PM
Is Magic haram in Islam? I'm not talking about black magic or sihr. I'm talking about those mind magicians, mentalist, hypnotist, mind tricks. Is this haram cause I've heard that all magicians or illusionist they use the aid of the jinn to perform their tricks. Is this true?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ramadan90
10-31-2012, 08:35 PM
Yes, it is haram and is even considered to be shirk.

ILuvAllah
10-31-2012, 09:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Allah<3
Yes, it is haram and is even considered to be shirk.
do they use the aid of jinn to do those type of magic?

Independent
10-31-2012, 09:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iluv♥Allah
do they use the aid of jinn to do those type of magic?
No they don't. But some of the tricks and illusions they can pull off, you could be forgiven for thinking they really did have some supernatural power. I'm thinking of guys like Derren Brown in the UK who has lifted the art of the illusionist to a whole new level.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Independent
10-31-2012, 10:09 PM
Is Magic haram in Islam?
Incidentally - just out of curiosity - I don't know anything about the injunctions against magicians, but I wonder if it truly applies to modern circumstances? For example, the modern magician or illusionist isn't really trying to deceive anybody. Everybody knows it's not real, he says so at the beginning. He's not tricking you out of money, people actually pay money to be tricked!

islamica
11-01-2012, 12:16 AM
Magic is magic, fake or real. The concept and idea of magic is being sold and glamorized in these shows. It's no different than the "fake" bear Arabs drink, it's non-alcoholic but why so desperate to copy the kuffars? will it not lead to the real thing for some?

The Prophet tells us that witchcraft, sorcery, and magic are evil. He (peace be upon him) said, "There are three who will not enter paradise: one who is addicted to wine, one who breaks ties of relationship, and one who believes in magic." (Ahmad)

here's an excerpt from an article on harry potter that carries the message home.

Fun fantasies and strategic entertainment have a special way of altering values, compromising beliefs and changing behavior in adults as well as in children. This learning process has been named "edutainment" a favored way to educate and entertain at the same time, for example Sesame Street. Its power to influence beliefs and behavior is illustrated by today's marketing firms; which spend billions on entertaining ads that touch emotions, ignore the facts, and yet motivate people to buy the product.

This Harry Potter 'ideology' is a good example. It comes complete with trading cards, computer and other wizardly games, clothes, action figures and cuddly dolls as well as audio cassettes that could keep the child's minds focused on the occult all day and into night. What's next, a Ouiji Board?

Teach your children Allah's Truths and train them to see reality through the teachings of Allah and His Prophet (peace be upon him) and not through the world's perspective. To succeed, we must be ever-conscious of their surroundings. Is it possible to shield them from contrary values, I'm sure it's not, however it is possible to offer them clear understandings of these things in light of the Qur'an and Sunnah. Once they have learned to love what Allah loves and hate what Allah hates, and to see life from His Words, they will demonstrate their wisdom by choosing to say "no" to Harry Potter and the like.

Independent
11-01-2012, 12:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamica
one who believes in magic.
That's what I'm getting at - is this really the same kind of magic that's being talked about? Ok, the word is the same, but does it really refer to the same thing? A magician in the 7th century may be someone trying to trick people out of money or actively set themselves up as a person with special powers. But a modern illusionist like Darren Brown is explicitly not performing magic. In fact, he goes out of his way to explain how something apparently magical can be performed. He isn't making people believe in magic, quite the opposite. He is deconstructing magic.

ardianto
11-01-2012, 06:12 AM
:sl:

Anybody know that in the past chemistry was haram?. It's because chemistry was looled like sihr (magic), in example, two uncolored fluids when mixed will turn into a colored fluid (remember chemistry lesson in school?). But later after ulama knew that chemistry has nothing to do with jinn or sihr, chemistry is not haram again.

In Indonesia we differentiate "magic" into two kinds (and names)
- Sihir: This is "magic" that use aid from jinn. It's claerly haram.
- Sulap: This is "magic" that has nothing to do with jinn, but just a "game", like trick or illusion. This is not haram.

Bro, sis, before you say trick or illusion is haram, it's better if you try to know how the magicians can do that. There are many books that explain about it.

format_quote Originally Posted by Independent
That's what I'm getting at - is this really the same kind of magic that's being talked about? Ok, the word is the same, but does it really refer to the same thing? A magician in the 7th century may be someone trying to trick people out of money or actively set themselves up as a person with special powers. But a modern illusionist like Darren Brown is explicitly not performing magic. In fact, he goes out of his way to explain how something apparently magical can be performed. He isn't making people believe in magic, quite the opposite. He is deconstructing magic.
Val Valentino (The Masked Magician) already revealed secrets behind magic show. That has nothing to do with jinn or sihr, just tricks.

Tyrion
11-01-2012, 06:42 AM
here's an excerpt from an article on harry potter that carries the message home.
Well, excuse me while I Disapparate out of this thread.

*CRACK*

islamica
11-01-2012, 10:07 AM
I understand where you are coming. As an adult I wouldn't go waste my money on such shows whether they fool you or show you how they fool you. I might watch it on tv like the show "magic tricks revealed" to see how they go about it. I wouldn't go about showing magic shows to children nor watch movies or read books such as harry potter as they serve no benefit and on the contrary can taint the aqeedah (belief) of the kids because of such things. In fact, I don't think some adults shouldn't watch that stuff, the laymen and illiterate who are naive and might fall for it should stay way. But the overlaying message from my last post was that although it is fake, it could make the concept and idea of magic tempting to some, leading them down a much darker path of satan worship and what have you. Beauty of Islam is that not only does it forbid evil but also anything that can lead to it.

aamirsaab
11-01-2012, 11:03 AM
... Beauty of Islam is that not only does it forbid evil but also anything that can lead to it.
It also teaches us to use our mind and develop our own understanding of things (in accordance to Sharia). There is no need to wrap yourself in cotton wool - explore, analyse and appreciate the world for what it actually is, not what you think it is.

Signor
11-01-2012, 11:06 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

Hope these threads helps

http://www.islamicboard.com/puzzles-...ks-so-say.html

http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...hat-think.html

Just for you info Black,White,Blue,Green or Red every type of magic is haraam or forbidden.Jinns are not available on rent so not every magicians can hire them for work,neither everyone can perform the rituals to control a jinn.Now as Muslim we believe in the concept of benefit or harm so without going into debate of what mind magicians, mentalist, hypnotist and illusionist do,its not worthy of even taking care of......

ILuvAllah
11-01-2012, 12:24 PM
Thank you for all your answers. I was just wondering that these modern illusionist, whatever tricks they are performing, I feel like they are trying to compete with God. Yes, Although they admit that its a trick , its fake but still isnt this a way to compete with God. Most of these magicians claims themselves to be athiest. One who doesnt believe in the miracles of God would never realize His powers. A sane person who cares about God would never try to compete with God, not even as a joke!

ILuvAllah
11-01-2012, 12:35 PM
Although Derren brown is an illusionist , he sometimes performs psychological experiments which has nothing to do with magic. I really enjoy his psychological experiments on people.

islamica
11-01-2012, 12:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
It also teaches us to use our mind and develop our own understanding of things (in accordance to Sharia). There is no need to wrap yourself in cotton wool - explore, analyse and appreciate the world for what it actually is, not what you think it is.
Which is why I said the educated could look into it but laymen who could be awed and influenced by the tricks and deceptions best stay away.

Independent
11-01-2012, 12:45 PM
Although Derren brown is an illusionist , he sometimes performs psychological experiments which has nothing to do with magic. I really enjoy his psychological experiments on people.
I agree, I'm not sure magic is the right word for it. I remember a fascinating demonstration he gave of the limitations of people's perception. When we look at the world, we don't see everything, we automatically shape it and edit according to what we know already. Derren showed this with an experiment where a hotel receptionist talked to a new guest at the desk. The guest was distracted for a moment by another accomplice, which gave time for the 'receptionist' to duck down behind the desk and a completely different person to stand up and continue the conversation.

Yet the guests did not appear to notice the change. This worked even in extreme circumstances - swapping male for female, white for black etc. Sometimes the guest might display some sign of hesitation or confusion, but they never said anything. You can say these people must be stupid, but the experiment was repeated many times and I suspect most of us would have reacted the same way.

In their minds, it was simply impossible for this change to take place, so they refused to believe it had happened.

Muwaahid
11-01-2012, 04:12 PM
Magic is kuifr no doubt
Watch below

http://audio-islam.com/category/engl...aa-richardson/

ILuvAllah
11-01-2012, 04:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/channel/SWpz_Po3F-cCQ

Look at the above video. this is not magic at all. there is no magic involved. derren brown is showing how the CIA programs and hypnotizes an innocent person to become an assassin.

Muwaahid
11-01-2012, 06:14 PM
Wow Im in America and the link says this channel is not available in your country LOL Anyways, Magic is disbelief, and Muslims should flee from it in this life like they would desires to flee from it on yaumal qiyaamah, ask yourself this: will participating or viewing magic draw me closer to Allah or earn more blessings from Allah? Will Allah say, "Look at my abd down there earning my pleasure?" We need to stop playing with this deen! Do you think Allah sent all His prophets and Messengers to humanity as a joke? Do you think the creation of the heavens and earth was just for fun? Magic is Kufrul Akbar it exits one out of the deen of islam, did you know that? Magic is major Kufr, learning magic is kufr, im sure you have heard of Harut and Marut in the Qur'aan. Read up on them, they were magicians. Subhaana Allah I dont get why the muslims cant stay away from immitating the kuffar, why do you want to be like them? Allah honored you with Islam and guidance and you want to hurl it behind your back to watch magic?

Muwaahid
11-02-2012, 04:41 PM
Shaykh Muhammad Bin Abdul Wahhaab [rahimahullah] mentions in "Nawaaqidul Islaam" the following:

"االناقض السابع: السحر, و منه: الصرف والعطف فمن فعله أو رضى به كفر, و الدليل قوله تعالى: "و ما يعلمان من أحد حتّى يقولا انما نحن فتنة فلا تكفر"

The Seventh Nullifier of Islaam: Magic/ Sorcery, which includes magic spells that causes a person
to hate (sarf) or love (`atf) someone/something. So whoever
performs it or is pleased with it being done, has committed disbelief.

The proof for this is Allaah’s statement:

And neither of “
these two (angels) would teach anyone until they had first said to
them: `We are only a trial (for the people), so do not commit
disbelief.’” [Surah Al-Baqarah: 102]

And magic isn't just restricted to sarf and atf but rather is more broader and encompassing that this, that is why the shaykh mentioned "minhu" from it whiuch indicates that there are more ways that magic is used.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!