/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim Legends of the 20th century?

Samiun
11-21-2012, 10:32 AM
:sl: does anyone know of any famous Islamic fighters/Scholars/Travellers/Scientists/Athletes etc2 that had lived throughout these tough times but managed to make the most out of it? I just want to know because I can't find a comprehensive book about the Sahabah(I know there's Riyadus-Saleheen but I get lost when I read that) so I can't really get full inspiration from Muslims. Sure I've heard stories about the 1 arrow that destroyed about 300 ships around the Abbasid/Umayyid times but I want to know modern ones. I know there's famous Muslims out there that could really inspire the youth(like me) to get our self working towards a better future can anyone recommend me a book or a name? I want to learn their live styles and how they have adapted to the world we now live in. It just happened that famous Muslims that are supposed to be, well, famous are not being publicize for some reason anymore. I mean what happened to the awesome Muslims? I know their out there but why are they being kept hidden and secret? Is a shame really, now if I was someone who is not really interested about Islam I won't know their name for sure.

I'll list some names that I've studied and read on a text book(two to be exact)

As-Sayyid Jamaluddin Al-Afghani
As-Syeikh Muhammad Abduh
As-Syeikh Tahir Jalaluddin
Hamka

I've rarely heard any1 one of these names on the news/radio so can someone list me some names? :D

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
11-21-2012, 12:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Samiun
I'll list some names that I've studied and read on a text book(two to be exact)

As-Sayyid Jamaluddin Al-Afghani
As-Syeikh Muhammad Abduh
Assalamua'alaikum.

As-Sayyid Jamaluddin Al-Afghani and As-Syeikh Muhammad Abduh actually are figure of (late of) 19th century. If you wanted to mention figure of Pan-Islamism in 20th century, why didn't you mention As-Syeikh Rashid Ridha?.

Thoughts from these three figures inspired KH Ahmad dahlan to establish "Muhammadiyah Indonesia" which Haji Abdul Malik Karim Amrulah (HAMKA) was important figure in this Muslim organization.

Samiun
11-21-2012, 12:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Assalamua'alaikum.

As-Sayyid Jamaluddin Al-Afghani and As-Syeikh Muhammad Abduh actually are figure of (late of) 19th century. If you wanted to mention figure of Pan-Islamism in 20th century, why didn't you mention As-Syeikh Rashid Ridha?.

Thoughts from these three figures inspired KH Ahmad dahlan to establish "Muhammadiyah Indonesia" which Haji Abdul Malik Karim Amrulah (HAMKA) was important figure in this Muslim organization.
Jazakallahkhaira, btw is 'Muhammadiyah' frowned upon by the majority of Muslims in Indonesia? Is he's followers called 'Muhammadiyahs'? Oh and did he moved to Tanah Malaya before he passed away?

ardianto
11-21-2012, 02:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Samiun
Jazakallahkhaira, btw is 'Muhammadiyah' frowned upon by the majority of Muslims in Indonesia? Is he's followers called 'Muhammadiyahs'?
Muhammadiyah is a Reformist organization, but majority of Indonesian Muslims are Traditionalist. Muhammadiyah is the second biggest in "the big three Muslim organization in Indonesia".

The Traditionalist are Muslims who perform 'traditions' like read tahlil for deceased person, read surah Yaseen in congregation, and other traditions like these. Reformist are Muslims who "bring Islam back to original form" with eliminate traditions which not based on sunnah. However, Reformists are not (and different than) Salafis.

Muhammadiyah is the first organization that established among those big three (1912, in Yogyakarta). They declare themselves as "free from any madhab". Their mision is eliminate "TBC" (tachyul, bid'ah, churafat)

The second organization is "Persatuan Islam / Persis" (unity of Islam) which established in Bandung in 1923 by a Muslim reformist group that lead by Haji Zamzam and haji Muhammad Yunus. As Reformist, Persis is stricter than Muhammadiyah in eliminate bid'ah. Persis is organization that 'introduced' placing hand on chest when salah.

Existency of Muhammadiyah and Persis got resistance from the Traditionalist who tried to maintain their traditions. So, lead by KH Hasyim Asy'ari, the Traditionalist established their organization "Nahdlatul Ulama (NU)" in 1926.

Now NU is the biggest Muslim organization in Indonesia. Muhamaddiyah the second, Persis the third.

Muhammadiyah mission is more than just eliminate (tachyul, bid'ah, churafat), but also to build "modern developed Islamic society". So, they established many universities, schools, and hospitals.

http://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daftar_...i_Muhammadiyah
(list of universities and colleges that owned by Muhammadiyah. Not included schools in level elementary, secondary and high school)

Universitas Muhammadiyah in Malang.

Oh and did he moved to Tanah Malaya before he passed away?
Who? Kyai Haji Ahmad Dahlan? or Buya HAMKA?. No, they did not move to Tanah Malaya.

As-Syeikh Tahir Jalaluddin moved to Tanah Malaya. But I think he's not in Muhammadiyah.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Samiun
11-22-2012, 10:11 AM
^I was talking about Hamka, so it was Syeikh Tahir Jalaluddin huh..

Do you know anymore inspiring/famous Muslims besides these guys uncle? Maybe Muslims from the 80s( like S.ahmad deedat and King Faisal) or 90s(??) but I have no idea..

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!