/* */

PDA

View Full Version : President Morsi accused of appointing himself as “Egypt’s new pharaoh"

سيف الله
11-23-2012, 12:07 PM
Salaam

What does this forum make of this?

Mohammed Morsi grants himself sweeping new powers in wake of Gaza

Mohammed Morsi, the Egyptian president, was accused of appointing himself as “Egypt’s new pharaoh” after he gave himself sweeping powers to oversee the country’s political transition in the wake of his success in negotiating a ceasefire in Gaza.

Mr Morsi declared unilaterally that until a new constitution is decreed all presidential decisions would be immune from legal challenge.

"The president can issue any decision or measure to protect the revolution," said his statement, read out on television by his personal spokesman, Yasser Ali.

"The constitutional declarations, decisions and laws issued by the president are final and not subject to appeal."

The announcement caused outrage. Mohammed ElBaradei, the former head of the International Atomic Energy Agency who returned to Egypt ito become a leader of the liberal opposition, accused Mr Morsi of declaring himself a "new pharaoh".

"Morsi today usurped all state powers and appointed himself Egypt's new pharaoh," Mr ElBaradei said on Twitter. "A major blow to the revolution that could have dire consequences."

Sameh Ashour, head of the Lawyers syndicate, said in a joint news conference with Mr ElBaredei that Mr Morsi had committed a “coup against legitimacy”, and called on Egyptians to protest on Friday.

Mr Morsi's move was designed to short-cut a series of stalemates to Egypt's constitutional transition from the dictatorship of ex-President Hosni Mubarak. The committee drawing up the new constitution, which is dominated by members of Islamist groups including Mr Morsi's own Muslim Brotherhood, is facing repeated challenges to its legality. His declaration nullifies those challenges, and extends by two months the time available for it to do its work.

He also announced the sacking of the chief prosecutor, Abdel-Maguid Mahmoud, one of the last so-called "remnants" of the Mubarak regime. Mr Mahmoud's failure to win convictions against many of those alleged to be responsible for the shooting of protesters during and after last year's revolution has led to continuing protests, particularly this week, the anniversary of a particularly bloody demonstration. Mr Morsi announced there would be retrials in many of those failed prosecutions, possibly including that of Mr Mubarak himself, who was sentenced to life for failing to stop the crackdown but who many opponents believe should have been found guilty of ordering it.

Protesters already gathering outside the interior ministry, the scene of bloody battles last year, denounced the move and shouted anti-Brotherhood slogans, echoing last year's chants. "The people want the downfall of the regime," they sang.

Mohammed Said, 50, an accountant, said : "This decision is a response to the Islamic trend not the people. He has given himself immunity and he has given the constitutent assembly immunity and he is attacking the judiciary's independence. He has just made himself a new Allah."

Mustafa Taha, 30, said: "I think the regime is authoritarian and it's an extension of the old regime. Nothing has changed."

Heba Morayef, of Human Rights Watch, said that important decisions like ordering retrials were overshadowed by the immunity Mr Morsi had granted himself. "Egypt needed judicial reform and the public prosecutor is a Mubarak holdover, but granting the president absolute power and immunity is not the way to do it," she said.

Mr Morsi is already seen as an ambiguous leader by Egypt's traditional western allies.

He won wide praise for his handling of ceasefire negotiations between Israel and Hamas. Yet he has a track record of strong anti-Western sentiment, including once claiming that the 9/11 attacks were an "inside job".

The United States, which is now in regular contact with him, hopes that democratic restraints will force the Brotherhood into becoming a constructive economic and political partner in the Middle East. It is likely to seek private reassurances that the planned transition to new elections will be maintained.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...e-of-Gaza.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
muhatab
12-04-2012, 02:10 PM
I think the whole Egyptian media is against Mursi, and I don't know why?
All of CNN and similar newsites have been against Muslim brotherhood sharply. I really don't know what is going on in Egypt. I wish the best to brothers and sisters in Egypt, hopefully the country will be back in power very shortly.

جوري
12-04-2012, 02:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muhatab
I think the whole Egyptian media is against Mursi, and I don't know why?
You don't know why? The media and the old regime dogs are fighting to the finish line but Allah swt is watching and may he aid Dr. Mursi in shaa Allah..
I challenge any of those rabid dogs to point out what is wrong with the new Constitution!
but then if an already sick person were making 80 million dollar a year to be corrupt why would they give that up.

All the Egyptian media in maspiero is funded by Suwaris a christian Egyptian dog who helped Israel and the U.S erecting spy towers in Iraq and in return made billions- they have worked to steal land to build monasteries that are bigger than any Islamic architecture like makkah or even the Vatican when there's only a handful of copts in Egypt . The other dog requesting that we build Buddhists temples and put articles on the holocaust and music in the Constitution is also heavily funded by the west he's solely responsible for the death of 1.5 million Iraqis and wishes to do the same to all parts Islamic while proclaiming to be Muslim.. he's the sort of Muslim that's created by the west.. he's requesting that foreign forces come to remove a freely elected president because they can't accept the fact that he's Muslim- they don't want a democracy if it brings Muslims!
this is such an expansive topic if you only knew what role each mercenary is playing!

muhatab
12-04-2012, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the info. Aren't there any media outlets who favor Mursi and Muslim brothers in general? I'm disappointed to hear that if that's the case. It is sad that the whole time Egypt's media is following American media. What about state media? Aren't they favoring Mursi?

I didn't know about Suwaris, thanks, I'll check.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
12-04-2012, 02:49 PM
All media in Egypt with the exception of a few are dogs of the old regime, the funny part is that they're govt. paid.
With all the changes and challenges facing Dr. Mursi I don't think he can touch the media just yet. Look what happened when he removed a corrupt judge, the same institution (al-ma7kama ad'dostouria) that ruled not in favor of the revolution the same one that dissolved the parliament the same that wants to dissolve the office of the presidency itself a freely elected one if I may add.. so imagine if he came out and said you know what you should be free to publish as you please but the govt. won't pay you millions to do it.. they're all handpicked by the former administration to publish what America and Israel wants.. in fact many an honest columnists from there Al'Aharm especially ended up missing as early as 2003 way before the revolt for challenging the administration. There is much more than I can possibly sum up in a paragraph.
The News should be fair not pro or against if you want to read independent news try for sultan.org

:w:

جوري
12-04-2012, 03:24 PM
two erroneous versions of the Constitution are being circulated today since voting is open until the 15th of Dec. With one obvious desire in mind. So you should know who is being a 'pharaoh' are the ones that have always been!
It isn't so difficult to see what is right from what is wrong if a person just does the reading. It is exactly as is the case with Islam.. you know what is right but the net is riddled with lies.. it is the ultimate tool of the devil and how successful is he to create as many hosts in his corner!

Logikon
12-05-2012, 02:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Junon
Mr Morsi declared unilaterally that until a new constitution is decreed all presidential decisions would be immune from legal challenge.

"The president can issue any decision or measure to protect the revolution," said his statement, read out on television by his personal spokesman, Yasser Ali.

"The constitutional declarations, decisions and laws issued by the president are final and not subject to appeal."

I am pleased that Mursi is not a puppet of the West.

I am pleased Mursi is standing up for his beliefs.

سيف الله
12-09-2012, 10:32 PM
Salaam

Egypt: Mohamed Morsi cancels decree that gave him sweeping powers

Annulment of measure that sparked days of protests comes after military says constitution crisis could drag Egypt into 'dark tunnel'

The Egyptian president, Mohamed Morsi, has scrapped a decree that had generated widespread unrest by awarding him near-absolute powers. But he insisted a referendum on a new constitution would go ahead as planned this week.

The announcement, which is unlikely to placate Morsi's opponents, came after Egypt's military warned that failure to resolve a crisis over the drafting of the constitution would result in "disastrous consequences" that could drag the country into a "dark tunnel".

Selim al-Awa, an official who attended a "national dialogue meeting" called by Morsi at the presidential palace in Cairo but boycotted by his opponents, said the Islamist-dominated discussion recommended removing articles that granted the president powers to declare emergency laws and shield him from judicial oversight. Earlier Egypt's military had issued a statement saying: "Dialogue is the best and only way to reach consensus. The opposite of that will bring us to a dark tunnel that will result in catastrophe and that is something we will not allow." Failing to reach a consensus was "in the interest of neither side. The nation as a whole will pay the price," it added.

State radio and television interrupted programmes to read the military statement. A Muslim Brotherhood official welcomed the army's "balanced" line. Former Arab League chief Amr Moussa, now an opposition leader, said that the army was reacting to an "enormously dangerous" crisis.

The statement came ahead of a new law to be issued by Morsi that will grant the armed forces the power to arrest civilians, alongside police forces, until a constitution is passed. The law makes the army responsible for the protection of state premises and maintaining security, and allows it the use of force if necessary to carry out these duties. The worst crisis since the revolution almost two years ago erupted after Morsi granted himself sweeping powers last month. Protests have also focused on a the new constitution, which opposition critics have condemned as illiberal. Morsi has been forced to retreat behind barbed wire, tanks and armed Revolutionary Guards now ringing his compound in the capital.

Morsi's supporters forcibly dispersed a sit-in at the presidential palace in the middle of last week, triggering an escalation in violence that has so far resulted in seven deaths and around 700 injuries. Clashes have spread to other Egyptian cities. There have been increasing calls from protesters for Morsi to step down.

The main opposition coalition, the National Salvation Front, refused to take part in the dialogue meeting, instead calling for the postponement of a referendum on the draft constitution, which is scheduled for 15 December. National Salvation Front member George Ishak told the Observer that the draft constitution had been "bloodied". On Friday, Mohammed ElBaradei, co-ordinator of the National Salvation Front, called on protesters to demonstrate peacefully. Activists broke through barbed-wire barricades around the palace on Friday evening. Some spray-painted "Down with Morsi" on tanks; others scrawled the word "leave" in red letters across posters of Morsi's face.

"We are no longer calling for scrapping the decree and delaying the referendum," Samir Fayez, a Christian protester, said. "We have one demand in five letters: leave."

Nearby, Mohamed Hassan, a Morsi supporter, suggested that the Muslim Brotherhood and its ultra-orthodox Salafi Islamist allies could easily overwhelm their foes if they chose to mobilise their base. "The Brotherhood and Salafis by themselves are few, but they have millions of supporters who are at home and haven't taken it to the streets yet," said the 40-year-old engineer. Most of the protesters had dispersed from the palace by Saturday, although a modest presence remained. TV footage showed the military setting up a wall of cement blocks around the palace.

The new law granting the military powers to arrest civilians and the use of force if necessary was passed by the supreme council of the armed forces, the military junta that governed Egypt during the transitional period before Morsi assumed power, six months ago. It was later overturned by Egypt's supreme administrative court.

There had been severe opposition at that time to the law by both the Muslim Brotherhood and other political forces.

www.guardian.co.uk

جوري
12-09-2012, 10:53 PM
The above is a nice sample of the disgusting bias and non facts the west perpetuates forgetting their own usage of clause 16 of the French constitution Snd bush himself doing the same during 911 what seething endless hatred and hypocrisy- I challenge any of those who have actually read the constitution to point out the clause they dislike if thru hadn't All unanimously agreed and signed including the Christians where article 38 actually grants them rights they don't get in their own churches!
This is nothing more than concocted mass hysteria created by the west to down an allegedly Islamist regime and put the likes of western approved el Baradi in spite of what Egyptians want and what was brought by free and democratic elections - I am sick to my stomach at the pure distortion of facts, the perpetuation of fears and lies Snd you watch the next few day they'll do everything under the sun to stage a coup against him I wouldn't put it past the Copts to burn a few of their churches which are already built on stolen lands which double the sizes of makka and ven the Vatican and where endangered life is found.
Anna patterson is in Egypt conspiring every other day as she did before in Columbia and Pakistan question is why are they so afraid of the constuiuion if they had any credence they'd let the folks cast their vote instead we've 'liberals' calling to stop the average and as he put it 'brain washed illiterates' from voting - question is who do they represent if the common man can't have say about how things ar governed in his country?

I'd bin the telegraph as I'd all western media outlets either be on the ground or try independent sources- the first command Allah swt asked of us was 'read' and that's in fact what mursi has asked Egyptians at large to do before they cast their vote on the 15th

apologies for typos and syntax using phone for this

Independent
12-09-2012, 11:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by شَادِنُ
So you should know who is being a 'pharaoh' are the ones that have always been!
If Mousa had won the election (which was close enough) and was making this same power grab, you would have been screaming in outrage and the Brotherhood would be on the streets.

Morsi in office has been a moderate who wouldn't worry the US. He didn't have to do this, he has blundered for nothing.

جوري
12-09-2012, 11:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Independent
If Mousa had won the election (which was close enough) and was making this same power grab, you would have been screaming in outrage and the Brotherhood would be on the streets.

Morsi in office has been a moderate who wouldn't worry the US. He didn't have to do this, he has blundered for nothing.
I wouldn't scream over a very long stretch of the imagination- Amr Musa ranked so low that he'd have to kill 50 million Egyptians to gain momentum or be force fed to them like Mubarak was. A revolution means people broke the fear barrier- they were not going to go back to it no matter the price and they paid indeed the ultimate price!
Islam is the middle road- that's something that westerners fail to understand with their absolute and irrational hatred of Muslims- the despotic and unjust regimes we've seen weren't Islamic ones rather secular.. So in fact that is what secularism brings and make no mistake he is worrying the U.S very much!
I guarantee that the coup that was tried against him chavez style last tuesday if if becomes successful aren't gonna bring the likes of El-Baradi or Amr Musa but the kind of 'Islamists' that the U.S is not gonna wanna see.
Egypt is a deeply religious deeply spiritual country and it will take a heck of a lot more than the little niggling twit El bardi to implement his liberal agenda. He represents no one there even if he says all the right things that his western masters want to hear!

on a last note the brotherhoos are a very small minority of Egypt- who have spent most of their political life in prisons.. those who vote Mursi in are the Egyptians at large!

best,

Independent
12-09-2012, 11:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by شَادِنُ
I wouldn't put it past the Copts to burn a few of their churches
I see you're already laying the grounds for the elimination of those annoying Copts. They're all going to blow themselves up for propaganda purposes! Of course, it's obvious isn't it?!

جوري
12-09-2012, 11:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Independent
I see you're already laying the grounds for the elimination of those annoying Copts. They're all going to blow themselves up for propaganda purposes! Of course, it's obvious isn't it?!
They're more clever than that.. the same way they stole lands in the 'sa7ara gharbya' while crying out to the white house they're being discrminated against they're gonna play it here too so no lives of theirs will be lost, but a Muslim will be killed in the process as the seven Muslim brotherhood memebers that were just killed unraveling a coup which they were heavily involved in and I am sure they can also stand to make some money from the process!

your approach to everything is so superficial so pedantic but as always expected!

I am going to write a side note that not all Egyptian Christians are that way because there are quite a few patriots but unfortunately like some sold the Muslims out during Napoleon's invasion there are many of the sort now a days too.. but it is alright everyone knows who is who over there and there's no shades of gray over intent!

Cabdullahi
12-10-2012, 12:00 AM
40 years of deep-seeded corruption, morsi had to do this in order to produce positive change in the right direction, too many old farts of the old regime leeching themselves onto the wealth of the people. For 40 plus years they had it easy, collecting their cheques to the detriment of the people and now suddenly they've realised it's squeaky bum time for them, and they must act in order to stop this 'shariah malarky' before its too late and i hope, insha'Allah ,that its too late.

جوري
12-10-2012, 12:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cabdullahi
40 years of deep-seeded corruption, morsi had to do this in order to produce positive change in the right direction, too many old farts of the old regime leeching themselves onto the wealth of the people. For 40 plus years they had it easy, collecting their cheques to the detriment of the people and now suddenly they've realised it's squeaky bum time for them, and they must act in order to stop this 'shariah malarky' before its too late and i hope insha'Allah that its too late.
what does Allah :swt: say?

وَلَن يَجْعَلَ اللّهُ لِلْكَافِرِينَ عَلَى الْمُؤْمِنِينَ سَبِيلاً

you know what 'walan' means- will never!!!

may Allah swt grant us victory.. it is difficult and will come at a heavy price but it is the one that must be paid to purge the land of all the evil in it!

Abu Zainab
12-10-2012, 08:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cabdullahi
40 years of deep-seeded corruption, morsi had to do this in order to produce positive change in the right direction, too many old farts of the old regime leeching themselves onto the wealth of the people. For 40 plus years they had it easy, collecting their cheques to the detriment of the people and now suddenly they've realised it's squeaky bum time for them, and they must act in order to stop this 'shariah malarky' before its too late and i hope, insha'Allah ,that its too late.
Lol...you have a way with words brother. I really hope the referendum goes through and Dr. Morsi gets all the powers he deserves.

By the way I have heard that Dr. Morsi is a hafidh. Is this true? If it is, then I guess that will make him the only hafidh leader in the world. :thumbs_up

جوري
12-10-2012, 02:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Zainab
Dr. Morsi is a hafidh. Is this true?
him and his sons :ma: seems to be a vice to the commentators though- also a vice that he doesn't live in a palatial home, he actually goes home at the end of the day to his rural residence where 400 some thugs surrounded his poor wife the other day in an attempt to kill her!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!