/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Paris Hilton whips up a storm in holy Mecca

islamica
11-27-2012, 11:40 PM
Paris Hilton whips up a storm in holy Mecca

(CNN) -- As an American socialite and hotel heiress, Paris Hilton has built up a global brand on her **** image -- and sometimes very few clothes.

But many believe she has gone a step too far in opening a store selling luxury items in the Muslim holy city of Mecca in Saudi Arabia.

Hilton's rise to worldwide fame was boosted in part by a homemade sex movie that went viral online in 2003, days before the debut of her reality TV series "The Simple Life."

This does not sit well with many in Mecca, which attracts three million Muslim pilgrims from around the world every year.

All Muslims who are able are expected to make the pilgrimage to Mecca at least once in their lifetime, and non-Muslims are not allowed to enter the city. Most Saudi women cover themselves fully with a black abaya.
Paris Hilton store in Mecca?

Hilton introduced her store on the social media site Twitter, when she wrote, "Loving my beautiful new store that just opened at Mecca Mall in Saudi Arabia!" accompanying the post with a picture.

She later added: "This is the 5th store in Saudi Arabia, and store number 42 in total! So proud to keep growing my brand!"

It is not the store itself that is out of place in Mecca -- the presence of Western luxury brands is nothing new in Saudi Arabia.

Hilton's store sells luxury handbags and accessories and is in the new Makkah Mall, which opened in 2011 with 255 shops, many of them global chains, selling everything from jewelery to electronics, women's fashion to sportswear. It even has a branch of the lingerie chain La Senza.

Paris Hilton has 42 stores worldwide selling handbags, accessories, shoes, fragrances, watches and T-shirts, and already has four in Saudi Arabia.

However, the combination of Hilton's personal image with the holiest city in the Muslim world has riled some in the conservative kingdom.

Sheikh Adnan Baharith, a conservative cleric who preaches in Mecca, said: ''It is unnecessary to have her shop here because we do not need it.

''If it was in our hands we would have closed all of her shops in Saudi.''

For others, the outrage was more about the ongoing commercialization of the heritage of Mecca than Hilton herself.

Ahmed Al Omran, who writes the blogs Saudi Jeans and Riyadh Bureau, said: "Some people were angry about it and others saw the humor in it.

"In the end, it's made a lot of people think about the bigger issue of the commercialization of Mecca where historic sites have been demolished to make way for modern malls and international brands.

"There's no particular reason to be outraged about Paris Hilton when we already have Gucci and Christian Dior. But for many it's further evidence of how the character of Mecca is being lost."

He added: "It's the combination of the location of the store, who Paris Hilton is and what she stands for."
Others on Twitter expressed similar concerns.

Muna AbuSulayman, a Saudi host on MBC wrote: "Huge outrage on Paris Hilton shop in Mecca Mall! With or against? Or, don't care? Personally I am against the (Disneyfication) of Mecca.''

Laila Lalami, a Moroccan writer based in Los Angeles, tweeted: ''Wahhabis (the dominant branch of Islam in Saudi) at work! Historic religious sites in Medina are being destroyed, while Paris Hilton opens a new store in Mecca mall.''

A Saudi nursing student Aqila Bint Suleyman wrote: ''Paris Hilton's new store in (Mecca). Islamic Heritage being torn apart whilst Saudi makes way for atrocities like this!''

While some, like Dubai-based Saudi entrepreneur and founder of Switch restaurant Deem AlBassam, are more pragmatic.

He said: "Saudi is a fair-trade market, where many investors from around the world come to invest and trade. I think it was a smart move from the local partners in expanding to (Mecca) considering it (is) one of the prime locations and hubs in the kingdom's retail industry.

"The other four branches of the store in the country indicate acceptance from the people and the fifth store is simply catering to their demands."

CNN's calls to the Paris Hilton Shop headquarters in the United States were not returned.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
11-28-2012, 12:43 AM
They just brought J.Lo the ***** to dubai at the same time funded an entire day of anti Muslim brotherhood event on their channel 'Al Arabia'
I am disgusted by them so disgusted by them..and so angry.. la 7wala wla qiwta illa billah..

sofhaa, walhi sofaha imsad

CosmicPathos
11-28-2012, 01:26 AM
Lol at this.

and lol at lailas and what not thinking that its the 'wahhabi' brand that is responsible for this.

Aprender
11-28-2012, 01:31 AM
We had a discussion about how Mecca is changing in one of my anthropology classes. Even some of the non-Muslims were not pleased with things like this and the destructon of historical sites and they've never even been there before or have any reason to hold the city dear in their hearts...yet.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
CosmicPathos
11-28-2012, 01:39 AM
makkah.

IslamicRevival
11-28-2012, 03:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2q1k8U7hjw
Watch, share, spread the truth.

جوري
11-28-2012, 03:35 AM
^^ the Emirati guy just joined Murdoch..
they're also taking verses from the Quran and and adding horrible words and putting it in tahrir square :(

CosmicPathos
11-28-2012, 03:38 AM
idiot on the phone.

it is wahhab, not wa7ab. House of Saud is Hanbali, King Fahad admitted that he was hanbali.

House of Saud regularly imprisons Salafi/wahabi scholars.

Other parts, it is common sense that house of saud has nothing to do with Islam.

Muwaahid
11-28-2012, 06:27 AM
Personally I find it quite despicable and utterly sinful for any muslim to utilize Allah's beautiful name Al-Wahhaab and connect it to a group of people that they themselves [those who call the muslims wahhaabies] may deem them as deviants. The dawah of Shaykhul Islaam Muhammad Bin Abdul Wahhab [rahimahullah] was the same dawah of all the anbiya wa rusul. Any person who has picked up any one of his books and read it cover to cover would bear witness that every statement he ever uttered or writen is backed up by authentic evidence from the Qur'aan and Sunnah. Only those who have a disease in their hearts and follow their desires and give an ear to shubuhaat [doubtful matters] and upon a way other than the way of the companions of the Messenger of Allah [sallallahu alayhi wa sallam] utilize the term wahhaabi which its orgin was originated by a kaafir. And those who were upon shirk, calling upon the dead, making tawaaf around graves, seeking intercession from the dead making sacrifices in front of graves and building shrines on top of graves, calling upon the dead, making istiannah and istighathah with Allah's creation where only Allah has the ability to aid them in. It is jealousy and ignorance and the prompting of the shayaateen that causes a muslim to disrespect Allah's beautiful name like that. Muslims needs to fear Allah and fear standing before Him on a day that Allah will question us and inform us about what we used to do. Fear Allah and desist from using that term.

Now I myself, dont think its a good idea that stores like that should be opened in the city of Makkah however tijaarah is tijaarah, the mushrikoon did business in Makkah and the Yahood and the Nasara did business there for a time although they were eventually outted wa lillahil hamd. As for those sisters who may dislike the fact that she has a store opening up in Makkah, ask yourself this, do you as a muslimah support any western brands owned by the kuffar? Gucci Purses? Prada Purses, J.Lo jeans and blouses, victoria secret garments, perfume [for those who are married and only wear it for their husbands and dont go out with it on] Coach Purses and shoes, Louis Vuitton , all types of clothing specific to the kuffar women? You dont wear that stuff? Im sure there isn't a sister on here who doesnt have something namebrand that is specific to the kuffar. Let us not be like the holier than thou people. Let us be honest with ourselves, are we individuals who have a secret dislike for the people of the mamlaka? Are we individuals who seek to find fault with the mamlakah and rejoice when we find something to criticise them about? like the lies the soofees told about construction projects which as they say [air quotation marks] destroying historical places and monuments! Ive observed from some of you in your posts negative remarks concerning the Mamlakah and your support of individuals who are well known for lying on Allah and His Messenger, individuals who are known for committing shirkul akbar which exits a person out of the fold of Islaam. Supporting individuals who reject what Allah affirms to Himself from His Beautiful Names and Lofty Attributes and NO ONE KNOWS ALLAH BETTER THAN ALLAH KNOWS HIMSELF, NO ONE IS MORE TRUTHFUL IN SPEECH THAN ALLAH AND NO ONE IS MORE ELOQUENT IN SPEECH AND BETTER AT CONVEYING HIS TRUE REALITIES THAN HIM yet we find some of you supporting individuals who think they know Allah better than He knows Himself or that they know Allah better than His Messenger [sallallahu alayhi wa sallam]. The people have taken this deen as entertainment, we want to sit in front of people and laugh and enjoy ourselves, and be entertained, but ask yourself this, from all those du'aat[callers to Islaam] that you support and encourage other muslims to listen to, how many ayaat or ahadeeth or athar or books have you benefitted from or memorised? What have you walked away with from proofs and evidences found in the book of Allah and the Sunnah of his Messenger [sallallahu alayhi wa sallam]? Alhamdulillah we have the books of Tawheed and Aqeedah present on this site but how many of us read them or study them let alone memorise them? No... or is it that we would rather listen to Nasheeds? You find individuals who memorise different Nasheeds and never ever even get out of Juz Amma as far as memorization. And they say, nasheeds soften the hearts and make us shed tears, and makes us love Allah and His Messenger [sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam] more, read the book of Allah, you want to shed tears and love Allah and His Messenger [sallallahu alayhi wa salam] more? read the book of Allah read the AUTHENTIC Sunnah of the Prophet [sallallahu alayhi wa sallam], read about the companions, learn your deen for it is the determining factor whether you are from Ahlul Jannah or Ahlun Naar! Wa Billahit-Tawfeeq

Ramadan90
11-28-2012, 07:33 AM
LOL! Is this real? This ummah is in BIG crisis, I swear. * shaking my head*

glo
11-28-2012, 07:37 AM
Is this another case of greed and hunger for wealth and influence threatening the things which are of real value and importance?

I get so disheartened when consumerism and materialism become the idols people follow and worship.
It happens all over the place (and especially in the run-up to Christmas becomes a painful reminder to me)

I hope that people will not be blinded by this and continue to come to Mekkah for the right reasons.

Ramadan90
11-28-2012, 10:59 AM
I think there is an agenda behind this. They want to destroy Islam. They know that Islam is powerful and they are westernizing muslim countries so it is easier to control muslims leaders and their population. Look at the wars in the muslim countries as well. We are living in difficult times. May Allah protect us and save us from these pure evil monsters.

glo
11-28-2012, 06:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by شَادِنُ
What creed is Paris Hilton? She's but a play thing in a long list of others who are either part of the agenda as a willing or unwilling participant.
So who is the driving force behind this agenda?
I don't assume that you really think it is "Christians" ... but who is?

I would say that it is forces of consumerism and greed, which many people can easily succumb to.

What are your thoughts?

One of the things I love about Islam is it's emphasis on a simple life and the sharing of resources for the benefit of the weakest in society.
The early Christians lived like that - but somewhere along the lines Christianity (on the whole) lost the plot and succumbed to consumerism and capitalism.

~Zaria~
11-29-2012, 10:19 AM
Assalamu-alaikum,

I think we should be asking ourselves: is there a problem in supporting 'western brands' from an Islamic view-point.

--> If we are wearing such brands because we proudly want to 'fit in' with the kuffaar way of life, then yes - this is a problem.

If we do not care that certain brands are aiding in the massacre of our brothers and sisters in Gaza - then this too is a problem.

But, this does not make these brands haraam in and of themselves.

Many people purchase such products simply because they recognise that they are obtaining quality for the cost.
(I personally do not follow trends/ brands, and my very first and only 'Guess' handbag was purchased 3 years ago. Wallahi, this bag is used everyday, and still looks like new).

So, we should be asking ourselves - what actually is the problem in having these types of stores in the holy city of Makkah and Madhinah?

Are we unhappy because of Ms Hilton's lifestyle?
And if so, then a more pertinent question would be - why is it that SO many muslims (brothers and sisters) know more about her antiques......than they do about their own prophet (sallalahu alaihi wasalam)?

The problem is not the hand-bag/ jewellery/ perfume that she is selling - because these items are not haraam, in themselves if used correctly.

The problem is far greater than what is being sold.

Because if we are in disagreement with the establishment of these types of stores in Arabia.......then, why are we not in disagreement with having iPhones/ iPads/ Porsche cars, etc being sold there?
These are brands of the kuffaar too.

Brothers and sisters, the world around us is always in a state of flux/ change.
And different brands will come and go.

By becoming a follower of Islam, this does not mean that we cannot live 'in' this world, and make use of what is permissible to us.

What is important are our intentions when using these items.
If it is for show/ to keep up with the life of the disbeliever - your problem lies here (and not in the actual brand itself).

Remember, our actions will be judged by our intentions:

It is narrated on the authority of Amirul Mu'minin, Abu Hafs 'Umar bin al-Khattab, radiyallahu 'anhu, who said: I heard the Messenger of Allah, sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam, say:
"Actions are (judged) by motives (niyyah), so each man will have what he intended.
Thus, he whose migration (hijrah) was to Allah and His Messenger, his migration is to Allah and His Messenger; but he whose migration was for some worldly thing he might gain, or for a wife he might marry, his migration is to that for which he migrated."

[Al-Bukhari & Muslim]

:wa:

Scimitar
11-29-2012, 10:36 PM
So... what's new?

If Victoria's Secret (and others) can find its way into the holy cities (with Muslim men doing the selling, i may add *scoffs - shakes head - rolls eyes*) then why the heck are people still really surprised at Paris Hilton opening 5 stores in the holy city?

Need I remind you that Versace etc etc etc are all gay labels? yet, you'll see many Muslims wearing those, but no one says anything? :D

I studied fashion design in college (flunked coz I kicked the living daylights out of some lad and got expelled) but I do recall watching a movie named "Pret a Porter" (ready to wear) all about the fashion industry. And I tell you something, after watching it, I wanted nothing to do with the fashion industry after that...

Bottom line, stop endorsing "labels". People in Muslim countries only copy what the foreign Muslims wear when they go and visit.

In some way shape or form, we western Muslims are partly responsible for these stores seeing success. They'll soon close up shop and move on - as is the case with KFC opening up in Saudi Arabia... if an Al Baik opens up on the same street, KFC closes shop and moves elsewhere. WHY? because Muslims in KSA prefer Al Baik over KFC anyday.

Now that's a good example of how things should go down.

Yet I've not seen one Arab designer make clothing that can be deemed as a fashion label, atleast for Muslims.

So who we got to blame? If not ourselves?

Scimi

M.I.A.
11-29-2012, 10:48 PM
...kfc closed in arabia?

what is wrong with you people!

i hope they at least have a Kernals Fried Chicken nearby.

Scimitar
11-29-2012, 10:51 PM
They're not closed in Arabia... but wherever an Al Baik opens near a KFC, the KFC closes shortly afterwards.

However, the ones real close to Kaaba and Masjid al Nabawi are still open - simply because WE foreigners want it there (facepalm).

Scimi

M.I.A.
11-29-2012, 11:07 PM
your right, i would try it.

...i doubt anyone i know would shop at expensive boutiques though.

our expectations dont go much further than good fast food.

..you can blame that one on somebody else.

either way i cant be mad. allah swt raises and lowers as he wills.

..or not.

ardianto
11-30-2012, 09:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
wherever an Al Baik opens near a KFC, the KFC closes shortly afterwards.
Al Baik? ..... watch this video.

Scimitar
11-30-2012, 02:00 PM
HAHAHAHAAA !!! Awesome. KFC would never enjoy such a response, anywhere in the world!

I have to admit, Al Baik recipe is one tasty nom nom :)

Scimi

Futuwwa
11-30-2012, 02:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Allah<3
I think there is an agenda behind this. They want to destroy Islam. They know that Islam is powerful and they are westernizing muslim countries so it is easier to control muslims leaders and their population. Look at the wars in the muslim countries as well. We are living in difficult times. May Allah protect us and save us from these pure evil monsters.
Wait a minute, who are "they", these people with the evil agenda?

Those shops are in Mecca because the Saudi government allows them to be there. Nobody is imposing those shops on them.

sister herb
11-30-2012, 03:31 PM
Also, those shops wouldn´t be there without customers - Saudis or tourists whose have enough money to spend it to luxurious dresses, handbags, shoes, jewelry etc. Difficult to see some secret "agenda" behind it.

^o)

But who knows, maybe there is again some kind of conspiracy theory behind everything.

Independent
11-30-2012, 03:47 PM
I think they are in a secret conspiracy to make money.

OK. Not that secret.

Scimitar
11-30-2012, 03:57 PM
It is the modernization of KSA, it will bring in the fancies of the west to the east. It is inevitable. My greatest gripe regarding this is the fact that only Muslim Men work in these shops (Victorias Secret, and those Paris Hilton stores) when they are clearly shops for females.

Women are allowed to trade, and own businesses in Islam, so why have the Saudi govt, made it very difficult, if not impossible, for women to work in them?

If there is a conspiracy here, then I'd argue it is to make Islam seem as though it is a male dominant religion, when the truth is, women have equal rights in Islam but this is not seen in the holy lands - example above.

Scimi

GodIsAll
12-09-2012, 06:01 AM
I wouldn' t buy a Paris Hilton product whether it was in Mecca, Rome or Pigsknuckle Arkansas.

GuestFellow
12-09-2012, 05:06 PM
I don't blame Paris Hilton. She is just doing her job, to sell her brand.

As long as Muslims don't buy her protects, her stores will close down. If her business succeeds, it's the Muslims that purchase her goods that are at fault.

I could even extend this blame to the Monarchy for allowing this store to be built there in the first place.

Signor
12-09-2012, 05:23 PM
لا حول ولاقوة إلا بالله

Had a skim read of this thread.Free Advertisement for Paris Hilton,Victoria Secret and others..what comes next Playboy or any XYZ.Are we on Islamic Board?Really????

Ramadan90
12-09-2012, 05:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SaneFellow
لا حول ولاقوة إلا بالله

Had a skim read of this thread.Free Advertisement for Paris Hilton,Victoria Secret and others..what comes next Playboy or any XYZ.Are we on Islamic Board?Really????
This thread does not advertise for Paris Hilton. If you actually read the article, it says that this caused an anger among muslims by what she did. And who the hell among IB members would even buy her products?^o)

White Rose
12-09-2012, 08:54 PM
Arent the leaders scared of what will they answer on behalf of the Muslims ummah? What would Hazrat Umar (RA) do? Why do we put our Muslims in fitnah?

I dont remember who said this but I think it was Mufti Menk. What he said was this, why do Muslims test their iman? Are you going to leave something valuable such as your laptop in the streets to test if someone steals it? So why do Muslims whose iman is the most valuable thing test it?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!