/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Palestinians win implicit UN recognition

YusufNoor
11-29-2012, 11:52 PM
Nov 29 (Reuters) - The 193-nation U.N. General Assembly overwhelmingly approved a resolution on Thursday to upgrade the Palestinian Authority's observer status at the United Nations from "entity" to "non-member state," implicitly recognizing a Palestinian state.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8MT9K720121129

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Mustafa2012
11-30-2012, 01:24 AM
:alhamd: Allaahu Akbar!

Meanwhile here's US and Israel's reaction to the world's recognition of Palestine as a state:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8MT1UI20121129

جوري
11-30-2012, 01:34 AM
3:119----------------------- "Perish in your rage; Allah knoweth well all the secrets of the heart."

Roasted Cashew
11-30-2012, 05:28 AM
Why U.S., Israel should welcome Palestinian move at U.N. by Rabbi Michael Lerner

Source: http://edition.cnn.com/2012/11/28/op...html?hpt=hp_c1

and I quote:

The de facto strategy of past and present Israeli governments of seeking security through domination and by pushing Palestinians out of their homes, or allowing right-wing religious fanatics to create settlements throughout the West Bank to ensure that no Palestinian state could have contiguous parts, has not and cannot work to provide safety for Israel.
Israel's fate and its well-being are intrinsically linked to the well-being of the Palestinian people. It's time for the powerful to show generosity to the relatively powerless.

So who opposes this? Hamas, Israel and the U.S.

Why Israel? Because the Likud-Beiteinu dominated government does not want a Palestinian state to emerge that would limit the ability of the Israeli settlers to expand their hold on much of the West Bank. So while they sometimes talk about a two-state solution, they have in mind a tiny state that would not be economically or politically viable.

Its strategy: Insist that it cannot negotiate seriously with the Palestinian Authority on creation of a state because the authority cannot control Hamas. With that reasoning, they ask how can Israel be expected to work with the authority on terms for a peace treaty that would actually be viable? And then simultaneously, Israel strengthens Hamas in various predictable ways.

Its first move in this direction was to pull out of Gaza militarily without negotiating for the Palestinian Authority to take over control there, de facto leaving Gaza in the hands of Hamas. If the pull-out had been done in cooperation with the Palestinian Authority, there would have been no missiles and hence no "proof" that giving up land to the Palestinians would only increase Israeli vulnerability.

To keep any substantial Palestinian state from developing, the government of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has managed, in the latest Gaza war (whose cease-fire is for the moment holding) to strengthen Hamas. It allowed Hamas to show that it can fight back against Israeli assault in contrast to the Palestinian Authority who, Hamas points out, has gotten nothing in return for the past five years of complete non-violence and security cooperation with the Israeli Army (IDF).

Netanyahu is not stupid, and this is an intended outcome.

The shelling of Israeli sites killed five people. Israeli bombing killed 150 Palestinians. Yet the air raids and missiles aimed at Israel again stimulated the latent post-traumatic stress disorder among Israelis that leads so many to vote for right-wing parties against their own best interests out offear of the Palestinian people, most of whom would like to live in peace with Israel.

(Palestinians told me when I visited a few weeks ago that the ongoing trauma of the occupation is so present it can't become post-traumatic).

As long as Hamas is seen as the main face of Palestinians, even centrist and left-wing Israelis will support militarism rather than peace compromises.

Why Hamas? Because Hamas' strategy is to keep their area so powerless that the Palestinian people will turn away from support for the secular and peace-oriented and nonviolence-committed Palestinian Authority. So the last thing Hamas wants is for the Palestinian Authority to win popular esteem by being seen as having "delivered" a real tangible accomplishment to the Palestinian people in the form of statehood.

To the extent that even observer status is a step in that direction, powerful elements in Hamas want to undermine it. In fact, Hamas consistently tries to undermine the Palestinian Authority. That explains why it has been so unwilling in the past years to stop its war crimes against Israeli civilians by sending (thankfully, mostly inefficient) missiles toward Sderot and other parts of southern Israel. But even as they fall short of their targets, Hamas manages to create fear and trauma for millions of Israelis.

[Point to be noted - although until Sunday Haniyeh was saying that Hamas will not back the UN BID...it seems the leadership has changed its tone and the latest is that Hamas Chief Khaled Meshaal is welcoming the decision.]

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Roasted Cashew
11-30-2012, 05:52 AM
The 41 nations that abstained are: Albania, Andorra, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Bosnia/Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Cameroon, Colombia, Croatia, Dem. Rep. of Congo, Estonia, Fiji, Germany, Guatemala, Haiti, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malawi, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Netherlands, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Poland, Korea, Moldova, Romania, Rwanda, Samoa, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Macedonia, Togo, Tonga, United Kingdom, Vanuatu.

Europe's voting trend:
Here are the big changes between the 2011(UNESCO membership) vote and today’s:

Five countries switched from “abstain” to “yes”: Italy, Denmark, Switzerland, Portugal, Georgia.
Three countries switched from “no” to “abstain”: Germany, Netherlands, Lithuania.
One country switched from “no” to “yes”: Sweden.
One country was absent: Ukraine, which had abstained in 2011.

Independent
11-30-2012, 09:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Roasted Cashew
Europe's voting trend
It shows a major and consistent change of sentiment across Europe that must also be influencing EU policy. Some of those that abstained are perhaps still influenced by their historical role in the Holocaust - Germany obviously but also Poland and other East European countries.

جوري
11-30-2012, 09:37 AM
The conditions that England imposed in exchange for a vote and thank God they were turned down are an amazingly asinine way of admitting to the war criminality of Israel lol

Independent
11-30-2012, 09:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by شَادِنُ
England
The correct term is 'UK', not 'England'. The UK consists of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

جوري
11-30-2012, 12:40 PM
Sure it must hurt less to have the malicious intent spread out over more area- I am more lucid at 4 am than you'll ever be in a lifetime though thanks for the tip!

Best

Independent
11-30-2012, 12:51 PM
Sure it must hurt less to have the malicious intent spread out over more area- I am more lucid at 4 am than you'll ever be in a lifetime though thanks for the tip!
No one could admire your lucidity more than you do yourself. I just wish you could invest in a better google translator. What does this 'spreading malicious intent' phrase mean?

جوري
11-30-2012, 01:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Independent
No one could admire your lucidity more than you do yourself. I just wish you could invest in a better google translator. What does this 'spreading malicious intent' phrase mean?
you must have surveyed your ego for that one? Whether an admiration of none, one or many it doesn't change the fact of the matter..might also explain your difficulty with reading and comprehension! :)

best,

Independent
11-30-2012, 01:30 PM
you must have surveyed your ego for that one? Whether an admiration of none, one or many it doesn't change the fact of the matter..might also explain your difficulty with reading and comprehension!
No, the problem lies with your grammar. For instance, in the above post the words 'surveyed' and 'admiration' are not used correctly. Perhaps English is not your first language.

جوري
11-30-2012, 01:41 PM
No, the problem lies with your grammar. For instance, in the above post the words 'surveyed' and 'admiration' are not used correctly. Perhaps English is not your first language.
Grammar trolling and pedantry I fear still don't deflect from the focus of the topic nor the points raised. I understand it to be your only defense mechanism at this stage. I don't seek validation from various web trolls. And you're right English isn't my first language indeed it is my third.. still managed a B.S/M.S and doctorate though with my poor grammar.. how about you, what have you managed besides beating on your chest extra hard for pointing out that England isn't the only constituent of the UK?

Independent
11-30-2012, 01:48 PM
Grammar trolling
You guessed it. I am a professional grammar troll. I also had a small part in 'Lord of the Rings.'

جوري
11-30-2012, 01:51 PM
You guessed it. I am a professional grammar troll. I also had a small part in 'Lord of the Rings.'
Good for you! I pegged you for Gollum Lorn way before you admitted to it!

best,

Mustafa2012
11-30-2012, 02:14 PM
The conditions that England imposed in exchange for a vote and thank God they were turned down are an amazingly asinine way of admitting to the war criminality of Israel lol
The only reason they would make a condition like that is because they know and are expecting to be taken to the ICC to answer for their war crimes and Britain and US is supporting Israel and trying to bully Palestine into not taking Israel to the ICC.

جوري
11-30-2012, 02:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mustafa2012
The only reason they would make a condition like that is because they know and are expecting to be taken to the ICC to answer for their war crimes and Britain and US is supporting Israel and trying to bully Palestine into not taking Israel to the ICC.
That is indeed true! Worse yet is the numbers of Brits & others who were assassinated or actively targeted at the hands of Zionist terrorist gangs like Haganah, Irgun and Stern. There's no honor amongst thieves!

:w:

Pygoscelis
11-30-2012, 04:10 PM
I woke up this morning ashamed of my country. Harper has got to go. He does not represent the majority of Canadians. Minority governments and vote splitting need to end. The Canadian public are not pleased with Harper's vote against this and overwhelmingly support a fair voice for Palestinians.

Banu_Hashim
11-30-2012, 04:59 PM
Aleem Maqbool (A BBC correspondent in either the West Bank/Gaza) said on his twitter: "official confirms to BBC that following Palestinian UN bid, israel's approved construction of 3000 homes for jewish settlements in west bank ".

How can the Israelis claim to want peace when they forever encroach upon Palestinian land and so arrogantly control the borders. The Palestinians want peace yes, but on the right terms! Lift the siege on gaza! Stop building settlements in the West Bank! Dismantle ALL illegal settlements immediately! Anything less than this is simply not acceptable.

Banu_Hashim
11-30-2012, 05:15 PM
The correct term is 'UK', not 'England'. The UK consists of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Why are you being so pedantic? Within England lies the central government for the UK, so it's understood that England means the UK, especially in international discussions such as this; as much as 'Washington' is used to mean the US in official news reports.

جوري
11-30-2012, 05:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Inquilaab
Why are you being so pedantic? Within England lies the central government for the UK, so it's understood that England means the UK, especially in international discussions such as this; as much as 'Washington' is used to mean the US in official news reports.
It is a matter of disliking content and the person who brought it to the discussion. What is the best way to deflect save to point out that my shoes don't match my shirt? In other words a personal issue for him no more no less..
Jazaka Allah khyran though!

Independent
11-30-2012, 05:22 PM
The fact that 'England' is misused as a term for the UK annoys many, many people. England itself has no foreign relations and no diplomats.

The UK equivalent term to 'Washington' would be 'Westminster', as you presumably know.

جوري
11-30-2012, 05:24 PM
the UK annoys many, many people
:lol: you get more and more absurd with every post!

best,

Banu_Hashim
11-30-2012, 05:30 PM
The fact that 'England' is misused as a term for the UK annoys many, many people.
Oh does it now? I've personally never lost any sleep over it. But maybe you have!

Independent
11-30-2012, 05:37 PM
Oh does it now? I've personally never lost any sleep over it. But maybe you have!
You live in England and you don't know this? Astonishing.

In fact, there are several million people in Scotland who feel strongly enough about not being called England that they will soon be voting on independence for Scotland.

So yes, I'd say it was a big issue.

جوري
11-30-2012, 05:44 PM
You live in England and you don't know this? Astonishing.
Quick alert the Guardian for this egregious misnomer:

Britain ready to back Palestinian statehood at UN

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/nov/27/uk-ready-to-back-palestine-statehood

I hope at some stage you realize what it means to be in a losing battle and go out with some grace rather than persist in folly!

best,

Independent
11-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Quick alert the Guardian for this egregious misnomer:

Britain ready to back Palestinian statehood at UN
What are you talking about? It's not a misnomer. 'Britain' is another acceptable term for the UK. It also refers to the combined 4 territories. Please, just look it up and sort it out for yourself.

جوري
11-30-2012, 05:54 PM
What are you talking about? It's not a misnomer. 'Britain' is another acceptable term for the UK. It also refers to the combined 4 territories. Please, just look it up and sort it out for yourself.
Oh you mean in this case there shouldn't be an accompaniment of 'Great' nor 'United' just we're all on the same page and having that deeper understanding of how far and wide this empire reaches- this one is a given? bwahahaha ;D

Independent
11-30-2012, 06:00 PM
Oh you mean in this case there shouldn't be an accompaniment of 'Great'
No, because Great Britain is a geographical term referring to the land mass which includes England, Wales and Scotland but not the separate island of Ireland. Britain is a political term which refers to the combined territories of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland but not the Republic of Ireland.

OK, I have to go and watch some paint dry now

Banu_Hashim
11-30-2012, 06:01 PM
Ukhti, the Brits are masters in pedantry, especially when it comes to British terms etc! lol I'm sure you know this by now. I'm guilty of participating in it myself, but I'm working on it :P

Also, if anyone asks "Great Britain" refers to the geographical area of England, Wales & Scotland and is the largest of the British isles! Keep this information safe. You may need it one day :p

جوري
11-30-2012, 06:03 PM
I have to go and watch some paint dry now
That does seem more practical than wasting more bandwidth with your drivel!

best,

جوري
11-30-2012, 06:05 PM
Ukhti, the Brits are masters in pedantry, especially when it comes to British terms etc! lol I'm sure you know this by now. I'm guilty of participating in it myself, but I'm working on it :P
I am familiar with this particular fellow' sophistry especially with the threads dealing with freedom of speech and press- It is all very amusing at the end of the day..

Jazaka Allah khyran though - very few people put the time in what should indeed be ignored otherwise..

Pygoscelis
11-30-2012, 06:42 PM
I thought he was being ironic. We are talking about Palestine being recognized as a state or not. Then we mistook England for the UK, which goes to the non-England members of the UK's status as independent states, etc. I was surprised we didn't start launching into point by point comparisons between Hamas and the IRA. But then, as too often happens here, it became about the egos of the posters.

Banu_Hashim
11-30-2012, 06:54 PM
Oh, and as regards to Canada opposing, here's the story: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...d-nations.html

Roasted Cashew
11-30-2012, 06:58 PM
The Difference between the United Kingdom, Great Britain and England Explained

Banu_Hashim
11-30-2012, 07:09 PM
^ Thank you. But, it's not relevant to the topic of this thread.

جوري
11-30-2012, 07:10 PM
Oh, and as regards to Canada opposing, here's the story: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...d-nations.html
Amongst other things that have got to be bugging the crap out of them is, Hamas can no longer be called a 'terrorist organization' Any sovereign nation has the right to defend itself and respond to attacks. It will no longer be the four of five bullies always siding with the biggest bully who by the way received a huge beating by a tiny strip that's cut off from the world. So imagine when they're tooting their horn threatening a war with Iran, threatening here and threatening there when they couldn't even manage a tiny strip of occupied space. Many blows for Israel and its poodles and in shaa Allah many more to come.. They can manage this kind of oppression for so long with everyone holding their hands or looking the other way. The only outlet left is media and emotional bullying. But everyone has a camera now and corporate media isn't where the world gets their news. Also where were they when Arafat made almost an 80% concessions and they still didn't like it. They only initiated the talks in 1994 and after they knew there would be no turning point to what they'd stolen!
The politics is changing rapidly in the ME. I know they're trying to contain it. Today's U.N assembly asking for U.N forces in Syria is to do just that. They didn't care that 30,000 syrians died to date, they loved that, they can condemn from afar. But now those rebels gaining momentum fast closing down most of their airfields and with huge success and not a care in the world as to who dies at this stage is the most threatening thing ever.
They have two options obviously, but one that involves troops coming in through Jordan which is already on fire can only spell disasters for American troops and will also involve a can of worms from which there's no recovery.. their only plan is to send U.N troops to keep the peace and ensure a similar regime to Asad's - we just have to watch and see as they scheme .. the people on the ground aren't the sort of army they want to gauge in a battle with, they don't respond to a sovereign (other than God that is) and have been roughing it for two years...
So yeah.. it has been a really long time but it is time for that hibernating lion to roar!

Roasted Cashew
11-30-2012, 07:11 PM
Thank you. But, it's not relevant to the topic of this thread.
Neither was the chit chat b4 this... but you weren't so quick to point that out. In fact, you were part of it!!!

Banu_Hashim
11-30-2012, 07:16 PM
I wasn't the one to instigate it, but I agree... Mods: delete all irrelevant posts please!

Banu_Hashim
11-30-2012, 07:20 PM
Canada, US, Israel and a few other countries think they know better than 138 other countries what and what doesn't impede peace in the middle east!!

muhatab
11-30-2012, 09:33 PM
Some people say this not an important step for Palestinians since Israel will continue illegal settlements. But it gave me smile on the face when I saw Palestinian brothers celebrating. I think they needed this just for goood morale reasons after latest Gaza attacks.

Pygoscelis
11-30-2012, 09:55 PM
In regard to Canada, please have a look at the comments on the story. Pretty much every single Canadian commenting is embarassed by Baird and Harper.

joedawun
11-30-2012, 10:53 PM
It is long past time for this recognition. Hope it leads to positive change for the Palestinian people.

IslamicRevival
12-01-2012, 02:49 AM
Its a step in the right direction but so what if they recognise Palestine as a 'state'? Palestine always existed as a state in the eyes of 1.5+ billion Muslims and many more across the world recognised their plight, Who gave the UN the authority to make such 'recognitions'?

I reject the UN in its entirety as Khilafah is our ultimate rule of law.

جوري
12-01-2012, 04:17 AM
This is merely for the acts of aggression and colonization and wars to stop.. we don't really accept a two state solution but now Hamas/fatah and/or others can't be deemed 'terrorist groups' nor can they separate Gaza and make it Egypt's problem and then bully the west bank while stealing Jerusalem to build their 'third temple' any nation has a right to defend itself and now palestine can bring all the war crimes and the changes to the identity of Jerusalem which goes against the articles in the convention before an international court. It does sound absurd that a sovereign nation would seek recognition while the squatter colony is recognized but we've to deal with things one step at a time and by mastering and beating them at their games!

YusufNoor
12-01-2012, 04:35 AM
:sl:

Abbs is gettin' noticed for her reporting on Gaza

it's funny that Israel went crying to Moscow to try to get her to stop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgZpEn2yIq8&feature=g-u

this weeks reporting is on Haiti

ma salaama

islamica
12-01-2012, 01:16 PM
Palestine My Home, Where'z Yours?

I dont need papers to prove I belong,
I dont need signatures to prove I exist,
I dont need You to sing me the old song,
I know why I fight and why I will resist!

I can sit and think and talk my thoughts,
You can't take that away like you do with our boats,
A Land you claim, is not your own,
And whatever u Do, its not gonna be ua Home...

You couldnt locate your home,
so you invaded mine?
But I did Locate yours, and would love to direct you...
Grab your keys, get in your car and Drive to Hell,
Thats where U Belong...
The land of Hell We heartly give U, Make it a state or a Nation,
With the priveledge of No borders,
We give it all to you...
Dwell in there Fellows,
Thats the home God picked for U, And Mine is Palestine, isn't that true? :)

by: Tabassum Dja

islamica
12-01-2012, 02:11 PM
Israel has been chosen to host the next UEFA U21 Football Championship.

We urge you to also write to Mr. Platini, for UEFA to reverse their decision, please use the link to write

http://www.bigcampaign.org/stop-the-...ace-in-israel/

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!