/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is cosmetic surgery a sin?

schokolibelle
11-30-2012, 04:31 PM
Hey ya,

i underwent cosmetic surgery. The reason = I was bullied at school..people were saying nasty stuff to me.. my nose was quite prominent..
so i decided to have a nose job..

should i pray and ask allah for forgiveness?
---

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
schokolibelle
11-30-2012, 04:33 PM
i hope alla wont punish me

sister herb
11-30-2012, 04:58 PM
Salam alaykum brother;

As I am not scholar I can say just my own opinion. I understand it was important to you if it caused you strong stress and depression - even it would just be better not to care what others say. What you look like doesn´t mean to Allah anything, just only what is in your heart. If you made something haram without knowing it might was haram thing, may Allah forgives you.

IslamQ&A says this:

I want to ask about cosmetic surgery on the nose – is it haraam, especially since it causes me psychological distress and affects my life, and the doctors have also said that I need surgery?.

Praise be to Allaah.

Cosmetic surgery may be divided into two categories:

1 – Essential surgery:

These are operations that are done to remove faults, such as those that result from sickness, traffic accidents, burns, etc. or to remove congenital defects with which a person was born, such as to remove an extra digit or separate fused digits, etc.

This kind of operation is permissible. There is evidence in the Sunnah to indicate that they are permissible and that the one who does them does not intend to change the creation of Allaah.

(i) It was narrated from ‘Arfajah ibn As’ad that he lost his nose in the battle of al-Kulaab during the Jaahiliyyah, so he wore a nose made of silver but it became putrid, so the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told him to wear a nose made of gold. Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1770; Abu Dawood, 4232; al-Nasaa’i, 5161. This hadeeth was classed as hasan by Shaykh al-Albaani in Irwa’ al-Ghaleel, 824.

(ii) It was narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursing those women who pluck their eyebrows and file their teeth for the purpose of beautification and change the creation of Allaah. Narrated by al-Bukhaari and Muslim.

Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

With regard to the phrase “those who file their teeth”, this refers to those who did that for the purpose of beautification and looking younger. This indicates that what is haraam is that which is done for the purpose of beautification; but if it is needed for medical treatment or to correct a fault in the teeth and so on, there is nothing wrong with it. And Allaah knows best.

2 – The second type of cosmetic surgery is that which is done for the purpose of beautification.

These are operations that are done to improve the appearance in the eye of the beholder, such as making the nose look more beautiful by making it smaller, or making the breasts look more beautiful by making them smaller or larger, or facelifts, and so on.

This kind of surgery is not for any necessary reason, rather the purpose is to change the creation of Allaah and tinker with it according to people’s whims and desires. So this is haraam and it is not permissible to do it, because it is changing the creation of Allaah. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“They (all those who worship others than Allaah) invoke nothing but female deities besides Him (Allaah), and they invoke nothing but Shaytaan (Satan), a persistent rebel!

118. Allaah cursed him. And he [Shaytaan (Satan)] said: ‘I will take an appointed portion of your slaves.

119. ‘Verily, I will mislead them, and surely, I will arouse in them false desires; and certainly, I will order them to slit the ears of cattle, and indeed I will order them to change the nature created by Allaah’”

[al-Nisa’ 4:117-119]

The Shaytaan is the one who tells people to change the creation of Allaah.

See: Ahkaam al-Jaraahah al-Tibbiyyah by Shaykh Muhammad al-Mukhtaar al-Shanqeeti.

Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked:

What is the ruling on cosmetic surgery? What is the ruling on learning the science of beautification?

He replied:

Cosmetic procedures are of two types:

1 – Those which are done to remove a fault resulting from an accident etc. There is nothing wrong with that because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) gave permission to a man whose nose had been cut off in battle to wear a nose made of gold.

2 – Those which are unnecessary and are not done to remove a fault but rather to increase beauty. This is haraam and is not permissible, because the Messenger of Allaah (S) cursed women who pluck eyebrows, those who have their eyebrows plucked, those who fix hair extensions, those who have hair extensions done, those who do tattoos and those who have tattoos done, because that is done as an enhancement and is not done to remove faults.

With regard to the medical student who learns about cosmetic surgery during the course of his studies, there is nothing wrong with him learning that, but he should not do that in haraam cases, rather he should advise those who ask for that to avoid it because it is haraam. Perhaps if this advice comes from the lips of a doctor it will have more effect on a person.

Fataawa Islamiyyah, 4/412.

See also the answer to question no. 1006.

In conclusion:

If there is some defect in the nose and the purpose of the cosmetic surgery is to remove that defect, then there is nothing wrong with that.

But if the purpose is simply to make it more beautiful then it is not permissible to do this surgery.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

جوري
11-30-2012, 05:15 PM
Cosmetic surgery should be used for medicinal not cosmetic reasons. I am not a scholar but I believe it should be obvious. Also, I personally prefer individuality ... Sometimes what folks deem perfection is anything but. Plastic surgeons aren't artists they're doctors, they chisel and tuck, and I don't find beauty in that or in the uniformity of looks. It is artificial to me. I'd take a man with an imperfect schnozzle and great character over one with a perfect one who cowers from criticism.
Whether you should do repentance or not is a matter left for your scholar. It is always good to ask for forgiveness!

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
CosmicPathos
11-30-2012, 07:57 PM
I went to school and people called me paki. Should I get skin transplantation from a white cadaver?

I grew up and I did not look like Ryan Gosling or George Clooney. Should I get cosmetic surgery? (I believe I look and AM better than them idiots!)

This sounds ridiculous right? So think about your decision.

I hate cosmetic surgeons. I hate dermatology too (except when it plays some role in melanomas or other weird lesions) which grow on your face

UmmuShaheed
12-01-2012, 11:13 PM
Asalamu Alaikum,
Im not a scholar, but my opinion is you shouldnt change the way Allah made you.
No one should alter the Creator's creation. Unless for Medical reasons.
And like the sister mentioned, It never hurts to ask for forgiveness.
Allah Knows Best,
Asalamu Alaikum

schokolibelle
12-02-2012, 11:27 AM
Thank you so much for ALL of your replies. I appreciate. In Iran..many people undergo cosmetic surgery. It's insane. Nose jobs are popular there.

Ebru
12-02-2012, 11:35 AM
It's just my opinion: Cosmetic surgeries are haram but if something effects your health then it might be acceptable, I don't know, at the end of the day God will judge you not we. But I want to give some examples:

Example A: You're a woman who lost right breast due to breast cancer and you wish to have a breast since you will less female without that one breast and you got implants, I guess that might be alright (as I have mentioned above, I am just guessing, at the end of the day Allah will judge us and of course Allah knows the best).

Example B: You got a particular look that makes your life difficult and you got discriminations and mentally it effects you in a bad way and you want to undergo surgery, I think that's also ok, if it makes you sick.

Example C: You already got a blessed facial features, let's say you're a girl andyou already got decent size of lips but you want to make them bigger because let's say its fashion although your original lips are fine and you face no discrimination whatsoever and there was no accident etc. I guess this is wrong, because you want to do the cosmetic surgery just because you a vain person.

ardianto
12-02-2012, 05:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ebru
Example A: You're a woman who lost right breast due to breast cancer and you wish to have a breast since you will less female without that one breast and you got implants, I guess that might be alright (as I have mentioned above, I am just guessing, at the end of the day Allah will judge us and of course Allah knows the best).
My wife was talking about breast implant after she lost one of her breast due to breast cancer, but I did not response it. I don't want she get breast implant. What happened to my wife is Allah's will. It's okay, I still and always love her.

ardianto
12-02-2012, 05:33 PM
I think sister Shaden still remember when I described myself as "Ugly Fatty" when I was teenager. That's when I was teenager. But after I left my teen age ....?

I had unique life, I turned from Ugly Duckling into ...... I don't know the right word for it, beautiful swan, maybe.

But I did not do plastic surgery, even for my nose that flat and wide enough. What I did just diet to reduce my weight and .... develop my personality. It made me became a guy who had 'high value' in the women's eyes.

Maybe not everyone know that biggest factor that build beauty, especially for men, is personality. Physical beauty is just additional factor. If a man has good confidence, look gallant, has impressive personality, he would look good in the women's eyes, even if his face is just average. If a man has good face, but his personality is sucks, I don't think women will be impressed to him.

Now to OP. I think your nose is not abnormal, just quite prominent but still normal. Nose job will not change other people view on you. You will be still bullied by them. What you need to 'repair' is not your nose, but your confidence and personality.

Always remember, man's beauty is built on personality.

sister herb
12-02-2012, 06:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Always remember, man's beauty is built on personality.
As well real beauty of woman too, I think.

:statisfie

UmmuShaheed
12-02-2012, 11:14 PM
:) ^Agreed

ardianto
12-03-2012, 02:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
As well real beauty of woman too, I think.

:statisfie
Someone, male or female, who has good confidence, know how to dress well, speak well, and can impress people with his/her attitude, will look attractive in people's eyes, although he/she is not physically beautiful. And these 'abilities' are backed by personality.

But if I said "biggest factor that build beauty, especially for men, is personality", it's because men don't use make-up. :D

Make-up can make women look more beautiful. But if a man use make-up?. People will questioning about his 'orientation'.

ardianto
12-03-2012, 02:15 AM
I have seen many photos of people who got nose job, before and after they got it. From what I have noticed, they had normal old noses, but they just were not satisfied with 'model' which they had.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!