/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Importance of Dhikr - Imam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal and the Baker

ncarolinahs
12-08-2012, 06:56 PM
Ahmad Ibn Hanbal & The Baker

Imam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal, may Allah Ta'ala be pleased with him, was once traveling and needed to stay somewhere overnight. When he went to the mosque, the guard (not recognizing Imam Ahmed) denied him entrance. Imam Ahmed insisted on his right, yet he was refused. Frustrated, Imam Ahmed resolved to spend the night on the mosque's front porch/yard. The guard became furious and dragged him away, despite his old age and frailty.

A baker, whose shop was nearby, watched this scene and took pity on Ibn Hanbal and offered the great scholar food and a place to sleep. He watched as the baker mixed and kneaded the dough, tended the fire, and pulled hot loves from the oven, all the while uttering remembrances of Allah and istighfar (asking for Allah's forgiveness). Finally, Ibn Hanbal asked the pious baker what inspired him so. The baker responded it had become like second nature saying he did as he did in thanks to Allah who had answered all his prayers. All save one.

When Ibn Hanbal asked what that unanswered prayer was, the baker responded: "To see the famed Imam Ahmad ibn Hanbal." At this, tears came to Ibn Hanbal's eyes and he told the baker, "I am Ahmed ibn Hanbal!". He then went on to add, "By Allah! I was thrown from the mosque to meet you."

Source: Al Jumuah, Vol 22, Issue 12, Page 33

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Iqra101
12-27-2012, 12:19 AM
very nice post, enjoyed much. If only the Muslims today could understand the many things Allah (swt) has wanted us to learn from the Quran, then we as humans would be truly better.

abcdcool2012
01-05-2013, 10:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ncarolinahs
Ahmad Ibn Hanbal & The Baker

Imam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal, may Allah Ta'ala be pleased with him, was once traveling and needed to stay somewhere overnight. When he went to the mosque, the guard (not recognizing Imam Ahmed) denied him entrance. Imam Ahmed insisted on his right, yet he was refused. Frustrated, Imam Ahmed resolved to spend the night on the mosque's front porch/yard. The guard became furious and dragged him away, despite his old age and frailty.

A baker, whose shop was nearby, watched this scene and took pity on Ibn Hanbal and offered the great scholar food and a place to sleep. He watched as the baker mixed and kneaded the dough, tended the fire, and pulled hot loves from the oven, all the while uttering remembrances of Allah and istighfar (asking for Allah's forgiveness). Finally, Ibn Hanbal asked the pious baker what inspired him so. The baker responded it had become like second nature saying he did as he did in thanks to Allah who had answered all his prayers. All save one.

When Ibn Hanbal asked what that unanswered prayer was, the baker responded: "To see the famed Imam Ahmad ibn Hanbal." At this, tears came to Ibn Hanbal's eyes and he told the baker, "I am Ahmed ibn Hanbal!". He then went on to add, "By Allah! I was thrown from the mosque to meet you."

Source: Al Jumuah, Vol 22, Issue 12, Page 33

i read it was magic of istigfar anyway jazakallah khairan brother for sharing this...

strivingobserver98
02-09-2016, 04:00 PM
:jz: for sharing the story.

Subhan Allah

This story is a reminder of the power of saying Istighfar frequently

Tafseer Al-Qurtubi states:

A man complained to Al-Hasan Al-Basri about a drought, and he said to him: "Pray to Allah for forgiveness."

Another man complained to him of poverty and he said to him: "Pray to Allah to forgive you."

Another man said to him: "Pray to Allah to bless me with a child." He said: "Pray to Allah for forgiveness."

Another complained to him that his garden was dry. He said to him: "Pray to Allah for forgiveness."

He was asked about it and he said: "This is not my personal opinion, for Allah says in Surah Nuh (interpretation of the meaning): "Ask forgiveness from your Lord, verily, He is Oft Forgiving; He will send rain to you in abundance. And give you increase in wealth and children, and bestow on you gardens and bestow on you rivers." Tafseer Al-Qurtubi (18/301-302)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ummshareef
02-10-2016, 04:40 PM
:jz: for sharing. A truly heartwarming and inspiring story. Subhanallah.

imranhassan
06-23-2016, 07:08 AM
It is really inspiring to read such post. Islam as a perfect religion and a way of life gives us the best direction on how to invite people to Islam in the most effective way.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!