/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim car Manufacturers

Samiun
12-09-2012, 02:43 AM
:sl: There are only two Islamic countries or rather, majority Muslim countries that produces cars. Proton, Perodua (both Malaysian) and Etox(Turkish) [Please add any more if you know one)

Has anyone tried these cars before? I know that the Protons are get a lot of criticism especially people from their own country but I always wonder why they do there aren't that many Islamic car manufacturers around the world. I mean, imagine if there's a car that have a Qur'an Player you can play any Surah you want with selected reciters + Lectures from Scholars of Islam. How awesome would that be? and a Honk that sounds like 'Astaghfirullahalzim'.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Tyrion
12-09-2012, 03:38 AM
I've never understood this strange obsession with having "Muslim versions" of things that are already being made well. A while ago we had some stupid ipad/tablet rip off being promoted because it happened to be made by Muslims... Usually these products are of much lower quality than the ones that are already out there, and they rely on gimmicks (like what I quoted you saying below) that can already be accomplished with existing products if one took the time to actually learn how to use them.

format_quote Originally Posted by Samiun
I mean, imagine if there's a car that have a Qur'an Player you can play any Surah you want with selected reciters + Lectures from Scholars of Islam. How awesome would that be? and a Honk that sounds like 'Astaghfirullahalzim'.
Many cars can do this if you want them too. No need to make a low quality version exclusively for Muslims... You can hook up your mp3 player into a lot of newer models and play whatever you want.

ardianto
12-09-2012, 03:41 AM
:sl:

and a Honk that sounds like 'Astaghfirullahalzim'.
Someone said, in Egypt, there are cars that use "dual sound honk".
Sound 1: Assalamu'alaikum
Sound 2: Wa'alaikumsalam

But I don't know if this is true or not.

Abz2000
12-09-2012, 04:24 AM
Tyrion - it's about supporting our brothers and sisters and advancing,If my brother or cousin or friend opened a business I'd go the extra mile to buy from him and tell others and hand out business cards too,Go look at how the Jews do it and you'll probably get it......OR ..... Maybe even give this book a good read....

verse 200 of chapter 3. آل عمران in the Holy Quran?

يٰأَيُّهَا الَّذينَ ءامَنُوا اصبِروا وَصابِروا وَرابِطوا وَاتَّقُوا اللَّهَ لَعَلَّكُم تُفلِحونَ

O ye who believe! Persevere in patience and constancy; vie in such perseverance;
strengthen each other; and fear Allah;
that ye may prosper.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Tyrion
12-09-2012, 05:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abz2000
Tyrion - it's about supporting our brothers and sisters and advancing,If my brother or cousin or friend opened a business I'd go the extra mile to buy from him and tell others and hand out business cards too,Go look at how the Jews do it and you'll probably get it......
Honestly, I think it's got more to do with quality. Most of these so called Muslim products are just poorly made imitations. A lot of them also use gimmicks, like Quran mp3 features, that to draw in Muslims who don't know any better. I don't think you need to settle for scams in order to support other Muslims. That being said, you're certainly free to buy whatever you want.

Also, I'm starting to get a bit more general with what I'm saying. Can't say if all of this applies to the OP's cars, since I don't know much about them in particular.

OR ..... Maybe even give this book a good read....
Hmm, implying that I've never read it? Stay classy, Abz.

Samiun
12-09-2012, 07:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion
I've never understood this strange obsession with having "Muslim versions" of things that are already being made well. A while ago we had some stupid ipad/tablet rip off being promoted because it happened to be made by Muslims... Usually these products are of much lower quality than the ones that are already out there, and they rely on gimmicks (like what I quoted you saying below) that can already be accomplished with existing products if one took the time to actually learn how to use them.

Many cars can do this if you want them too. No need to make a low quality version exclusively for Muslims... You can hook up your mp3 player into a lot of newer models and play whatever you want.
Sup, the point that I'm trying to make is wouldn't be better if Muslims somehow come together and make cars? I mean, we innovated one of the best things in the Dunya a few hundred years ago and our economy was very strong. Now look at us, we're struggling to compete with other nations. We have to rely on other non-Muslims countries in turn that it sometimes causes losses to our own economy without noticing, not saying that transaction with the non-Muslims are haram but we have to help our bros/sis in other parts of the world that are suffering poverty. Who else can help them besides us? The UN? Nah I don't think so..

Btw, not everyone has an 'mp3' player and not everyone knows how to use the internet you know. I mean if we could supply our bro/sis the cars with cheap prices then they won't have to waste their money on them. Besides, what if you had forgotten your mp3 in your house a few thousand miles away? You gonna go back to your house and get it? Oh I know why don't we buy two instead of one because that way I can listen toQur'an recitations both at my house and at the car.. yeah why not..

Abz2000
12-09-2012, 02:51 PM
one of the reasons so many of us around the world speak english and are victim to the western (disbeliever) way of thinking is due to the fact that half the world was occupied and colonized - another is due to the copious amounts of infidel media we watch and read - a major factor contributing to this is the fact that an infidel discovered computing and much of the world is dependent on it - with english being the primary language used in computing.

if we want to change that status quo we sure need to encourage and support Muslims in inventing, manufacturing and distributing everything useful to mankind.

since coming to eastern asia i have noticed most of the kufr fashions, trends and even hairstyles (lol) generally being embraced and pushed by those who are victim to english language media programming - not to say there aren't others.

didn't know i was classy, thanks for letting me know - though i prefer to be real instead.
i can see the disdain you have for "so called muslim" efforts to make contributions, but i'll not go into that too much and leave you to deal with that disease.

GuestFellow
12-09-2012, 04:52 PM

Honestly, I think it's got more to do with quality. Most of these so called Muslim products are just poorly made imitations. A lot of them also use gimmicks, like Quran mp3 features, that to draw in Muslims who don't know any better. I don't think you need to settle for scams in order to support other Muslims. That being said, you're certainly free to buy whatever you want.

Scam is an illegal plan for making money. How do these products fit into the definition of a scam?

Source: http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...sh/scam?q=scam

I see nothing wrong with buying these products. They may not be as good as some other brands, but as long as they are fit for purpose, then I don't see problem here. Besides, I doubt they will be expensive as other brands available. Not everyone as £££ $$$ to spend, especially now. =/

GuestFellow
12-09-2012, 04:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abz2000
one of the reasons so many of us around the world speak english and are victim to the western (disbeliever) way of thinking is due to the fact that half the world was occupied and colonized - another is due to the copious amounts of infidel media we watch and read - a major factor contributing to this is the fact that an infidel discovered computing and much of the world is dependent on it - with english being the primary language used in computing.

if we want to change that status quo we sure need to encourage and support Muslims in inventing, manufacturing and distributing everything useful to mankind.

since coming to eastern asia i have noticed most of the kufr fashions, trends and even hairstyles (lol) generally being embraced and pushed by those who are victim to english language media programming - not to say there aren't others.

didn't know i was classy, thanks for letting me know - though i prefer to be real instead.
i can see the disdain you have for "so called muslim" efforts to make contributions, but i'll not go into that too much and leave you to deal with that disease.

Muslims should support Muslims that are in business. These businesses need to grow and our culture needs to influence other businesses as well. Businesses influenced by western culture are harming this world. Businesses based on Islam will adopt an ethical approach to meeting the needs of society and protecting the environment.

Aprender
12-09-2012, 05:59 PM
Hmm, implying that I've never read it? Stay classy, Abz.
It's always classy to remind our brothers and sisters in Islam to read the Quran. We should be reading it every day to familiarize ourselves with the words of Allah.

Sup, the point that I'm trying to make is wouldn't be better if Muslims somehow come together and make cars? I mean, we innovated one of the best things in the Dunya a few hundred years ago and our economy was very strong. Now look at us, we're struggling to compete with other nations. We have to rely on other non-Muslims countries in turn that it sometimes causes losses to our own economy without noticing, not saying that transaction with the non-Muslims are haram but we have to help our bros/sis in other parts of the world that are suffering poverty. Who else can help them besides us? The UN? Nah I don't think so..
You are very right. I'm noticing this in my community here. We have a fairly small Jewish community here where I live but they've built amazing community centers for their children around here. Instead of having to go to places like the YMCA or commercial gyms, they can work out in their own Jewish establishments and hold conferences there instead of always paying someone else $10,000 to rent a room for a banquet. The Muslim community has nothing like this and often times brothers and sisters have to work out in places with the free mixing. And of course, most restaurants here in the U.S. don't exactly care about being halal. If Muslims were able to open more businesses that supported that lifestyle it would be great.

I think we should encourage more Muslim entrepreneurship with shariah compliant financing. Now is the time to do it with us being so low on the totem pole at this point and time in history. Time to move up.

Insaanah
12-09-2012, 06:21 PM

Most of these so called Muslim products are just poorly made imitations.
Beko electrical appliances (fridges, washing machines) are big in the UK. They are a Turkish company. Good products competitively priced.

ardianto
01-28-2013, 05:25 PM
Wanna buy "made in Indonesia" car? :D

Komodo. Manufactured by PT Pindad, Bandung.

P2 Commando. Manufactured by PT Sentra Surya Ekajaya, Tangerang.

Okay, okay, they are military cars.

Indonesian peace keeping force in Eid day in Lebanon. Armored vehicles in the background are "Anoa". Manufactured by PT Pindad, Bandung. Have been exported to Brunei, Timor Leste, Malaysia (renamed as "Rimau" by Malaysian)

Now Indonesia is in developing its military Industries. Not only make infantry and artilery weapons, but also military ships, UAV (drone), and other military equipments, with principle "what we can make, we should make it.

KRI Clurit (PCR 40 Class). Manufactured by PT Pelindo Marine, Batam. Equipped with Chinese missile. One of dozens "made in Indonesia" military ships.

For air force. We will build (Insha Allah) our attack helicopter. And now we will start joint co-operation with South Korea to build fighter jets.

Why I post Indonesian military products here?. I'll explain it and I hope we can take a lesson from it.

Learn from a big mistake

Why Indonesia improve its military industries?. No, no, not to attack other countries. Indonesia is nation that love peace, but had a bitter experience.

In the past before 1965 Indonesia was closer to East Block and used many Soviet military equipment, and was strong. In 1966, Soeharto became Indonesian leader. We cut relationship with Communist block and turn into USA side. Then we switched our military equipment into Western made.

In 1975, USA and Australia urged Indonesia to take over Portuguese colony in eastern Timor. We sent our troops there, took over eastern Timor and made it became province of East Timor, a part of Indonesia.

1998, Indonesia suffered economic crisis that destroyed our economy. People launched reformation. Soeharto regime fell.

1999, East Timor released from Indonesia. It caused riot in East Timor, and it became a reason for USA to implement military embargo toward Indonesia.

Effect of this military embargo was reduce Indonesia military so much, especially Indonesia air force. We could not get spare part for our airplane. Unfortunately, we didn't have ability to make needed parts and didn't have money to buy military planes from other countries. Finally only four fighter (F16) that could still fly, and small number of ground attack jet. And in this situation Australia and USA flew their jet fighters over Indonesian air.

2004, lieutenant general SB Yudhoyono elected by people as Indonesian president through general election. He was trained in USA. 2005, USA decided to finish military embargo toward Indonesia. However, Indonesian govt decided to not again depend on USA military. And Indonesia started to improve military industries.

2009, president Yudhoyono elected again. And in 2012 ministry of defense issued a new rule, Indonesian military are not allowed to buy from other countries for equipment that have been produced in Indonesia. And if the equipment that they need have not produced in Indonesia, they can buy from other countries but they should make sure the foreign manufacturer will transfer their technologies. This to make Indonesia military able to build the needed part if USA and West launched military embargo again.

Yah, we have learn from a big mistake and we have realize what would happen if a nation depend on USA and West in military.

ardianto
01-28-2013, 05:33 PM
Of course, as a nation that love peace, Indonesia also will produce civilian products. :)

Prototype of PIEV (Pindad Electric Vehicle) by Pindad Army Industry.

Indonesia govt start to serious to develop electric vehicle industries, and its infrastructure support.

EVINA (Electric Vehicle Indonesia). Designed by Dasep Ahmadi. Insha Allah will be produced in mid of 2013.

RAVI by Great Asia Link, Gresik. Will be in mass production too, Insha Allah. The company owner maybe is not Muslim, but it's okay, product doesn't have religion.

Gang Car, by Dirgantara Indonesia (airplane manufacturer)

Electric bus by LIPI (Indonesian science institute)

tearose
01-28-2013, 06:29 PM
Salamu 3laikum,

My mum drove a Proton for years. It wasn't exactly a flashy car, but I don't remember having problems with it. I just asked her if she would recommend it and she said it was reliable and great value for money. I'm happy to learn it was made in a Muslim country.

ardianto
01-28-2013, 06:49 PM
Most of these so called Muslim products are just poorly made imitations
Products that labeled as "Muslim product" usually are poor in quality. And good products that made by Muslims usually are products that not labeled as "Muslim product".

The big mistake that made by Muslims who label their products as "Muslim product" is, they neglect the quality because they believe that they already have market among Muslims and believe that Muslims must be will buy their products. Different than Muslims who do not label their products as "Muslim product". They prepare themselves for competition in free market. So, they realy care about quality.

Tyrion
01-28-2013, 07:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Products that labeled as "Muslim product" usually are poor in quality. And good products that made by Muslims usually are products that not labeled as "Muslim product".

The big mistake that made by Muslims who label their products as "Muslim product" is, they neglect the quality because they believe that they already have market among Muslims and believe that Muslims must be will buy their products. Different than Muslims who do not label their products as "Muslim product". They prepare themselves for competition in free market. So, they realy care about quality.
Right. This is partly why I dislike the whole "support Muslim products/makers" thing. We should support GOOD products. If Muslims want to join in, they should focus on making quality products instead of marketing things as "Muslim" to trick a few insecure Muslims into buying their stuff.

سيف الله
01-28-2013, 09:22 PM
Salaam

format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto

I have to agree with this, products have to be of good quality if they are going to stand a chance in the international marketplace.

Having said that ‘solidarity’ is important, (obviously because it’s a central part of our faith) one of the reasons Muslim nations have declined is when it comes to industry and technology we’ve fallen behind. Perhaps by supporting these products will in time lead to the production of better quality products hence lead to proper development and independence of Muslim nations instead of relying on ‘benevolence’ from aid agencies or even worse, Western powers.

ardianto
01-29-2013, 12:07 AM
I ever bought honey that labeled as "Muslim product". It shows hadith in its label, and a message that "if you buy this product, you help Muslim's business. Frankly, I felt disappointed because its quality is lower than other honey which mostly of other honey brands are produced by Muslims too but not labeled as "Muslim product".

In another side there are "products for Muslims" such as digital Qur'an or Qur'an cellphones. I noticed in their ads, there's no message like "buy it! it's Muslim's product". What they said just "why this product is suitable for Muslims". And their qualities are good.

Honey is a product that can be consumed by everyone, not only by Muslims. Labeling product like this as "Muslim product" is something that unnecessary. Even it can give boomerang effect because non-Muslim will thinking that this product is not for them. It's make its market being smaller.

Vito
01-29-2013, 07:10 PM
On the topic of cars, I don't personally have experience with "Muslim" made cars but, as long as they stand by their products and provide warranties and whatever typical perks dealers offer, I don't see what the problem is. You can always go pay a fortune for a BMW and when it breaks down (yes they do break down), you'll end up spending another fortune trying to get it fixed.

format_quote Originally Posted by Junon
Salaam

I have to agree with this, products have to be of good quality if they are going to stand a chance in the international marketplace.

Having said that ‘solidarity’ is important, (obviously because it’s a central part of our faith) one of the reasons Muslim nations have declined is when it comes to industry and technology we’ve fallen behind. Perhaps by supporting these products will in time lead to the production of better quality products hence lead to proper development and independence of Muslim nations instead of relying on ‘benevolence’ from aid agencies or even worse, Western powers.
Not necessarily. Look at China made products. Usually when something breaks, someone jokingly says "it must be from China" and chances are they're right yet, people will still go after these products because of their cost.

fahim kamran
01-30-2013, 12:44 AM
Now, muslims have also become capable of making cars. They have also got the technology of the car manufacturing.

ardianto
01-30-2013, 01:12 AM
The biggest challenge we would face if we build car industry is not "how to make" but "how to sell". With R&D we can make prototypes that good and meet what the consumers want. We have enough much Muslim experts for this job. However, this R&D process would spend huge amount of money if we want to make cars with original design and high quality (not just "modify" other people's designs). And to make this money back, we should able to sell our cars in large numbers.

Selling cars is different than selling clothes. Every car is a unit of huge amount of parts which many of these parts need to be 'renewed'. It's means we should build the distribution lane for our cars spare parts too.

The main factor behind success of Japanese cars in Southeast Asia is the distribution of spare parts which the car users can easily find spare parts that they need in many stores, and with affordable price. Actually, Japanese cars use enough much generic parts that can be applied in several type and even several brands. Mostly of parts in car are made by spare part industries, not the car industries themselves. Car industries are industries that supported with many supporter industries.

ardianto
01-30-2013, 02:57 PM
Iranian Cars

Khodro Runna

Khodro Dena

Muhaba
01-30-2013, 05:58 PM
Syria also manufactures cars and I think Iran does too. I remember my accounting teacher telling us about the first time she was buying a car, she wanted to get a muslim country manufactured car because she would rather give her money to a Muslim manufacturer than a non-muslim one and she chose a Malaysian-made car. and then she spoke about Syrian cars and said how syrian car will break down quickly, etc etc.

Yes i agree that muslims should buy from muslim manufacturers. muslims should buy from muslim country-owned industries. a lot of money goes to non-muslims industries, whether it is cars or mobiles or pharmaceuticals or clothes or other stuff. unfortunately some countries would rather give their money to non-muslim countries than to muslim countries. I've seen in bahrain pharmacies don't carry medicine made by UAE or saudi or egyptian pharmaceuticals although the muslim-country medicine is a lot less expensive than the canadian or american medicine and is also more likely to be halal! so one gulf country is not helping the economy of another gulf country!

I'll definately go for malaysian car in-sha-Allah. Give me some good brands and nice pics. I like small cars but also like practical 4X4 for family.

ardianto
01-30-2013, 06:50 PM

Advert of Toyota Avanza in Pakistan.

Although designed by Japanese, this car is actually made in Indonesia, which around 85% of its part produced by Indonesian companies.

Futuwwa
01-30-2013, 08:11 PM
What Tyrion said. If we buy stuff simply because it's Muslim-made, there's a risk we end up encouraging and supporting mediocrity.

Muhaba
01-31-2013, 02:55 PM
Jazak-Allaho khairan Ardianto for the car ad made in indonesia. I'd love to buy a car made in indonesia is most of the money from the sale go to indonesian ecnomy. I also heard some good stuff about Proton car made in malaysia.

ardianto
01-31-2013, 04:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by WRITER
Jazak-Allaho khairan Ardianto for the car ad made in indonesia. I'd love to buy a car made in indonesia is most of the money from the sale go to indonesian ecnomy. I also heard some good stuff about Proton car made in malaysia.
Wa iyyaki

There are two country's policy in developing car industries.

First: National Car policy.
In this policy the country build car manufacturer with its own brand, its own design, its own marketing. In this policy the national car industry may establish co-operation with car industri from other countries in design, research and development. Malaysia's Proton is a car industry that built with this policy.

Second: Local Content policy
In this policy the country invite car industries from other countries to build car manufacturing facility in this country with condition this car manufacturer should use parts that supplied by local companies as much as possible. In this policy local experts may involved in develop a design that will be produced only by car manufacturer that located in this country, not in the 'mother' country.

Local Content policy is policy that taken by Indonesian govt. There is story why now Indonesia choose Local Content policy and not National Car policy. Insha Allah, I will post about it.

ardianto
01-31-2013, 06:30 PM
Does Indonesia have National Car policy?. In the past, yes!. But unfortunately, this program failed due to corrupt behavior.

In the middle of 90's, Indonesian govt announced they will start National Car program, and open an opportunity for anyone who wanted to participate in this program. Ministry of Research and Technology proposed "Maleo" car, and approved by govt.

However, Tommy, the son of president Soeharto took this opportunity too and announced that he would follow what Proton had done, co-operation with car manufacturer from another country. But if Proton made co-operation with Mitsubishi Japan, Timor made co-operation with Kia Korea. He asked many facilities from his father, his father gave every facility that Tommy want. Later, another Soeharto son, Bambang follow Tommy with built "Bimantara" that co-operated with Hyundai Korea.

The "Timor" plan made the "Maleo" plan stopped because govt decided to switch research fund to Tommy. But what Tommy was doing was really scam. He didn't build a car manufacturer but imported many Kia cars from Korea in 'ready to run' condition!. And he use "tax-free" facility that given by his father. Facility that actually could not be given for import built-up car. But govt was afraid to forbid Tommy, he's a dictator son.

It cause anger among car manufacturers that based on local content policy, and cause anger among Japanese govt and other mother countries of those car manufacturers. But Indonesian govt decided to fight them only to defend Tommy.

Something happened in 1997. East Asia and Southeast Asia hit by "monetary crisis" that caused financial problem for countries in these areas, especially Indonesia!. Kia Korea stopped their production. Timor Indonesia collapsed.

1998, the monetary crisis turn into economic crisis for Indonesia that destroyed Indonesia economy. Thousands companies fell into bancruptcy, millions workers, including me, lost the jobs. It caused the fall of Soeharto regime. And Indonesia left dictatorship era. New govt seized Timor assets.

Early of 21st century, Indonesia started to wake up again. But govt chose to not continue idea of National car like Timor, and took better alternative, improve car industries that have been existed in Indonesia. Motivate them to use local components as much as possible, and help them to export those cars with giving facilities. Local spare part industries started to raise again.

Alhamdulillah, If in 2011 the export volume was 107,932 units, in 2012 export volume raised until 173,368 units. Alhamdulillah, it's not only give income for Indonesian government, but also give income for many Indonesian people who work in those car manufacturers until those who work in spare parts industries that supply parts for the car manufacturers. Mostly of them are Muslims.

:)

introspective
02-05-2013, 03:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by WRITER
Jazak-Allaho khairan Ardianto for the car ad made in indonesia. I'd love to buy a car made in indonesia is most of the money from the sale go to indonesian ecnomy. I also heard some good stuff about Proton car made in Malaysia.
Proton has a large stake in the Lotus group. May be they could merge their R&D departments.

ardianto
02-05-2013, 10:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by introspective
Proton has a large stake in the Lotus group. May be they could merge their R&D departments.
When designing a car, Proton engineers are not working alone, but joined with engineers from other cars manufacturers like Mitsubishi or Volkswagen. They took design from cars that have been exist and re-design those cars as Proton cars. Joint in design like this common enough among car industries. It's for save much money. If Proton engineers were working alone in designing a car from zero and do R&D alone, it would make Proton cars prices were going higher.

ardianto
10-17-2013, 05:31 PM
Newest cars that designed by Muslims from Indonesian electric car project.

Selo, designed as an inexpensive sports car. (still prototype)

moblis1 1?w600 -
Gendhis (right), a luxury MPV, by Ricky Elson (still limited production)

Electric bus by Dasep Ahmadi (still limited production)

Support Indonesia electric cars project with your du'a :)

Futuwwa
10-18-2013, 09:10 PM
The more I find out about Indonesia, the more I become convinced that it will be the site of a resurgence of Islamic power. I'm beginning to think that when I'm 50 and a highly capable professional, I should move there to help make it happen.

Nur Student
10-18-2013, 10:37 PM
SOME OTHER TURKISH PRODUCTS

Trolley Car

Taxi

BUS

HELICOPTER

TANK

Unmanned Air Vehicle (Drone)

Rifle

Some of the land Armours

War Frigates

RADAR Systems

Samiun
10-19-2013, 03:42 AM
:sl: thank you guys for keeping this thread alive. I totally forgot about it!

This definitely looks like a ferrari 458 Italia!!

ardianto
10-19-2013, 02:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Futuwwa
The more I find out about Indonesia, the more I become convinced that it will be the site of a resurgence of Islamic power. I'm beginning to think that when I'm 50 and a highly capable professional, I should move there to help make it happen.
From Top-Down to Bottom-Up

In technology, Indonesia is still far behind developed countries. It's because for about a half century technology development in Indonesia was running slowly. The significant progress started happen in 21st century.

Until decade of 60's national situation was very unstable, rebellion and armed conflict always happened. Technology development was a forgotten thing in this period.

Entering decade of 70's, situation started stable. But, president Soeharto implemented dictatorial government style. He made his cronies became elite and gave them privilege to rule industries. The regime jargons in this period was "trickle down effect" and "technology transfer".

Sound good, but "trickle down effect" actually was a policy which elite ruled big industries while ordinary people just became sub-contractor or catering service. "Technology transfer" actually was a policy which Indonesian industries just manufacture product according to what foreign company order them.

Typical of Soeharto dictatorial regime was “Top-Down”, everything must be under command from the top. The people's aspiration was really ignored, including aspiration in science and technology.

Then economic crisis happened in 98 that made Soeharto regime fell. The elite fell too and the middle class took over the power.

Different than The Elite that have "Top-Down" mentality, the middle class have big attention to people's aspiration, including to aspiration in science and technology that come from the people. Media also give big appreciation for innovation that come from people.

Of course this "Bottom-Up" condition makes people are more motivated to make innovation in science and technology. There are many innovation contest that held in Indonesia now. And also now Indonesian people start to be proud with national technology and innovation.

Better late than never :)

ardianto
10-19-2013, 02:32 PM
This definitely looks like a ferrari 458 Italia!!
Just look like, but definitely it's different. :)

Selo is a prototype that designed as inexpensive electric sport car with price that same as usual car.

Newest prototype of electric car from LIPI.

Electric bus from LIPI

Interior of LIPI electric bus.

Indonesian program in national car is indeed, electric cars. Of course need time before entering mass production. Now a the electric car battery factory has been established in Cileungsi to support this program.

ardianto
10-19-2013, 04:12 PM

LIPI electric car motor.

Electric city car from PT Sarimas Ahmadi Pratama. Designed by Dasep Ahmadi. The current production of SAP is electric bus.

Gendhis electric MPV which operated to carry foreign delegation in APEC summit 2013 in Bali.

13299 large 1?w600 -
Electric car from Institut Teknologi Sepuluh November, Surabaya.

13297 large 1?w600 -
Interior of ITS electric car.

LIPI hybrid vehicle

LIPI Hybrid vehicle motor

ardianto
10-19-2013, 04:46 PM
Indonesian inexpensive car, GEA from PT INKA, Madiun (not electric car)

Already in mass production although currently majority of users are government institution.

Located in Madiun, East Java, PT INKA itself actually is a government owned railways trains manufacturer that produce trains, locomotive, railways carriage.

Few products that designed and manufactured by PT INKA, Madiun.

Locomotive CC 300 and carriages.

tansri
09-08-2014, 05:49 AM
Until this date proton has many achievement to make sure they still follow up the technology... such as the 2013 Suprima S and The New Proton IRIZ... beside that Malaysia itself has finalizing the project e-bus .. what is e-bus..?

e-bus is the fully electrical bus that will service as public transportation starting January 2015. Malaysia also has develop the new advance electrical engine using the new hyper lithium-ion batteries based on Tesla Electrical Engine.
Beside that Perodua are NOT like proton who designed create and produce their own cars.. they just rebadge the japanese car.

Malaysia also building the bullet train from penang to Singapore and will finished in 2016...as the KLIA2 international airport has oficially operated so the government want people to have more convenience public transport..

To know Proton cars specs you can search it for yourself on google...

Samiun
09-09-2014, 03:25 PM

Thanks for bumping, forgot about this thread(again).

The thing about proton is the customer service is bad according to a brother of mine who went to check and service a Proton Saga. Unfortunately, this is one of the areas Proton needs to improve if they want to be competitive. Also the cars like saga need to be more stable when travelling at high speeds, I feel like the car can apart.

Selo is a pretty cool car company, is good on the road uncle Ardianto?

Btw this is Perodua's new car that will be launch in these coming few days

Scimitar
09-09-2014, 03:44 PM
all the cars above have chassis specs from already existing cars made by already well established no Muslim companies... in most cases, they're just rebranded models of already defunct and "no longer manufactured in the west" cars.

So uhm, why would I buy a car made by a Muslim company? Why indeed...

It's a bit like me choosing to buy a horse with flea issues from a Muslim trader instead of a well to do steed from a non Muslim. Sorry, but that's the bottom line for me.

And Tyrion does have a valid point - Muslims don't originate anything these days, we imitate instead, and even at that - the Japs are kicking our behinds...

...and the Chinese are kicking theirs.

Where do the Muslims sit amongst these two? they don't. We aren't even worth a consideration in that dept. Sorry to hurt anyones feelings but it is what it is.

I mean, come on - even Hamas' rockets are nothing more than glorified fire works repackaged for grown men. Sheesh. :D

Scimi

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!