/* */

PDA

View Full Version : آمله Name Help

monmon
12-12-2012, 03:04 PM
Assalamu alaikum, I was hoping somebody could help. This may be off topic for this forum but I cannot seem to post elsewhere, so please bear with me. I am a revert and still learning, I have two babies, twins called Kamal and Ameelah (آمله). Can somebody please tell me the meaning of my daughters name? When naming her, I was under the impression that her name meant 'Hopeful,' but now I am unsure, I have now heard various different meanings (and apparently some are not good!! So, you can understand my concern). JazakAllah for your help.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
12-12-2012, 03:15 PM
amlah (as you'd written in Arabic) means lice.. Amal means hope

:w:

جوري
12-12-2012, 04:02 PM
to add to the above there are several ways that this can be pronounced depending on tashkeel that would give different meaning.
amlah singular from the plural aml= lice
aamelah = hopeful
aamul= I am hoping

so it depends on how you write and pronounce it..

monmon
12-12-2012, 04:22 PM
Sorry I must have got the arabic wrong... We do not live in an Arabian country so she will probably never have to write it in arabic. It is spelled Ameelah in English on her birth certificate and so essentially that is how she will have to spell it all her life in school etc.

Can somebody please tell me how I should pronounce it, so that the meaning is 'hopeful' and not something horrible like lice!!!! lol

Also, how would you have spelled it in English??!!! Is my way (Ameelah) wrong in meaning 'hopeful'! Also how should it be written in arabic?

So sorry for my lack of knowledge and all the questions, I am such a newbie and it is sooooo hard when you don't speak Arabic!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
12-12-2012, 04:27 PM
yes that's correct but go light on the e's and extra on the a.. aamelah- like that..
I am really sorry I didn't meant to upset you... probably didn't see it correctly..

ardianto
12-12-2012, 04:42 PM
:sl:

Isn't "lice" is "qaml"? (with qaf)

Muslim Woman
12-12-2012, 04:43 PM
:wa:

Sis , Welcome to Islam , Welcome to the forum .

just saw online this post :

arabianma · Pass a Note!

Last edited 16/11/2012

Hey ladies, very new to babycentre. I'm due soon and have decided on a name!

Meaning: Doer of good deeds
Just stuck between spellings

Can't decide between Ameelah and Amilah! It will be pronounced aa-me-lah...

Help me choose:
Ameelah 10
Amilah 13
Total Votes: 23

http://community.babycentre.co.uk/po...slim_name_help

monmon
12-12-2012, 04:46 PM
Thank you for your help sister! You have eased my worries tremendously!

Where we live, people always go heavy on the 'e'... What would that mean?? Sometimes I wish I had spelled it 'Amelah' or 'Amilah' but even then I know they would go heavy on the 'e'. ^o) Oh well...

ardianto
12-12-2012, 05:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
Meaning: Doer of good deeds
"Ameelah" which means "Doer of good deeds" is started by "ain" if it's written in Arabic. But if started by "alif", it's means "hope for" (or Hopeful)

format_quote Originally Posted by monmon
Also, how would you have spelled it in English??!!! Is my way (Ameelah) wrong in meaning 'hopeful'! Also how should it be written in arabic?
You have written it correctly, I think.

جوري
12-12-2012, 05:15 PM
she has yes I saw that as a hamza which it's not the font is so small

جوري
12-12-2012, 05:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
:sl:

Isn't "lice" is "qaml"? (with qaf)
indeed- but the vernacular people in some regions they pronounce Qaf as a- hardly anyone speaks proper Arabic unfortunately!

جوري
12-12-2012, 05:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Doer of good deeds" is started by "ain" if it's written in Arabic
3ameela with a ain-- means agent.. could be an agent of good but usually means something sinister..
3amela and 3ameela are different.. sometimes it comes down to tashkeel or the local dialect. 3amelah is doer- Unfortunately you can't check every region for horrible meanings of names.. I think for me personally anyhow I prefer to stick with universality in Arabic or Islamic names..

Insaanah
12-12-2012, 06:33 PM
:sl: and welcome to the forum.

Just for info, the word as written in Arabic in the thread title, is also a word in Urdu, pronounced Aamlah, and is a seasonal bitter/sour fruit available in the subcontinent, called Indian Gooseberry in English.

monmon
12-12-2012, 08:02 PM
I got the arabic off a baby name site. I think transliteration is very hard. Some would spell it ameelah, others amilah, but it's the same name and same pronunciation.

monmon
01-08-2013, 11:12 PM
Another thing, people pronounce it 'A-mee-luh' no matter how much I emphasise 'Aa-me-lah'. Would their way mean anything bad. The last thing I want is for someone to see or hear it, and think I've named my child something bad. imsad I saw a malaysian girl and an indonesian girl with this way of spelling before deciding upon it. I assumed it was like other names 'amirah/ameerah amina/ameenah ' where 'i' is sooo often substituted with two 'e's.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!