/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Running

Beardo
12-13-2012, 12:05 AM
:sl:

I started running a mile. It's been two days, Alhamdulillah, and I do want to keep it up. It's a .2 mile track, so I walk a lap, run a lap, walk a lap, run a lap, walk a lap, and then I try to run one last lap but I only got half way on the 3rd run lap.

Anyway, the first day, I thought I was going to faint. The second day went all right, alhamdulillah. But while I'm running the end of the 2nd lap, I feel as if my legs are going to fall off. Is that normal? Also, sometimes my back starts to ache just a little, so perhaps I'm not running correctly?

I'm trying to build stamina more than anything else.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
12-13-2012, 12:10 AM
your muscles are atrophied from disuse .. keep at it and you'll be ok!
everyone feels tiredness and fatigue I am feeling tired and achy now- It is normal!

Samiun
12-13-2012, 01:27 AM
:sl: wait is this ur first time running? I'm no expert, but I use a time table set-up on a running website. It tells me to jog for 90 sec and walk for 120 sec and repeat this process because I'm still new. Then, it gets to like 25 minutes of jogging without stopping at the end of the learning process

crimsontide06
12-13-2012, 02:10 AM
Personally I think is better to walk than run. More effective since you are able to walk longer, the goal is the length of time you exercise not how many miles you can get.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
~Zaria~
12-15-2012, 07:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Beardo

I started running a mile. It's been two days, Alhamdulillah, and I do want to keep it up. It's a .2 mile track, so I walk a lap, run a lap, walk a lap, run a lap, walk a lap, and then I try to run one last lap but I only got half way on the 3rd run lap.

Anyway, the first day, I thought I was going to faint. The second day went all right, alhamdulillah. But while I'm running the end of the 2nd lap, I feel as if my legs are going to fall off. Is that normal? Also, sometimes my back starts to ache just a little, so perhaps I'm not running correctly?

Wa-alaikumsalam,

If you havent been exercising in a while, then take it easy at first - 'Start low, go slow'.

Also, ensure that you stretch and properly 'warm up' before starting to run and that you invest in good foot-wear.

I personally do not favour running as a means of fitness - I think that it has a high(er) impact on the joints, esp knees and ankles, and this should be considered if you intend on taking this up in the long term.

Have you tried swimming? Its low impact, fun and its one of the sports recommended by our prophet (sallalahu alaihi wasalam) (Im sorry if im sounding like a broken recorder now.....I really enjoy it - i wish everyone could take it up as a sport as well insha Allah. )

All the best with the running.

:wa:

Salahudeen
12-15-2012, 09:06 PM
Be sure to give your muscles a 2-3 day rest to repair and recover. When I run after having not ran for a long time I get sore muscles the next day and have to rest for a week till the pain/soreness goes away. Then if you keep up with running the rest period between runs decreases so much to the point that you don't get sore muscles any more or aches.

GuestFellow
12-15-2012, 09:55 PM

I can crawl 10 miles without stopping. HAHAHAHAHA MA STAMINA IS BWETTER THAN YOURS. BWAHAHAHA

On a serious note, make sure you warm up. You do not want to injure your foot or your knees. Walk, jog and then run. Walk, jog and then run. Walk, jog and then run. =) Walk, jog, run and rest. ^_^ Walk, jog, run, rest and drink water. ._. Happy exercising.

CosmicPathos
12-19-2012, 02:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Zaria~
Start low, go slow
that works for meds in geriatrics, not for the world of men: tough anaerobic exercise.

you should start fast, and go fast. of course increase the distance covered each day.

you have no evidence to provide that running can damage the joints. Man evolved as a runner first, he was already bipedal. Man did not evolve to swim, but to rather run. His joints are better suited to take on the impacts.

Swimming can damage shoulder joints as well.

you might as well not leave your house as sun rays can increase the progression of cataracts and increase the risk of melanoma, and air pollution increase the risk of lung cancer. You might as well stop studying, as studying and higher education increases the progression of alzheimer's dementia once it has started. and unlike you, I have evidence to back up these claims.

~Zaria~
12-19-2012, 06:10 AM
Assalamu-alaikum,

format_quote Originally Posted by CosmicPathos
you have no evidence to provide that running can damage the joints.
I did not say that running can damage the joints.

I said: 'it has a high(er) impact on the joints' - which is very different from the above statement and is in fact true.

My choice of words were made specifically bearing the above in mind.

format_quote Originally Posted by CosmicPathos
Swimming can damage shoulder joints as well.

you might as well not leave your house as sun rays can increase the progression of cataracts and increase the risk of melanoma, and air pollution increase the risk of lung cancer. You might as well stop studying, as studying and higher education increases the progression of alzheimer's dementia once it has started. and unlike you, I have evidence to back up these claims.
Any sports carries its own share of risks and possible injuries.
Nobody here has denied this.

However, we need to take the necessary precautions to try to insha Allah, avoid injuries.

Which is why I suggested the following:

'Start low, go slow' - this is indeed something that applies to the geriatric field, but it can be extended to many other aspects of life as well.

vs. :
you should start fast, and go fast.
Insha Allah the attached article may be of benefit to the OP.

A short quote from it:

The three most commonly cited independent factors for injury are: (i) an increase in weekly mileage too quickly; (ii) previous injury; and (iii) a competitive training motive.[3] Clearly, running distance is one of the strongest risk factors associated with injury, as well as any sudden increase in running mileage or change in training volume or intensity.

This is not to indicate that we should not engage in sports for fear of injury.

Instead, we should chose a form of exercise that is best suited to ourselves and gain knowledge about it - to be able to protect ourselves from injuries.

Alhamdulillah, there are many benefits to exercise and keeping fit.

Attachment 5238

glo
12-19-2012, 06:46 AM
Have you tried any of the couch-to-5K programmes? You can download them onto your mp3. They start you off with very little running and mostly walking, and gradually over some weeks increase your running and reduce your walking - until you can run for 30 minutes solid. They are very well thought through and quite successful.

Warning though, the ones I have seen contain music - but perhaps you can find one without. Just google couch-to-5K

Yanal
12-26-2012, 11:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Beardo

You are going out of the ordinary, so naturally your body is feeling tired, particularly your legs since you are working them harder then you have recently. It will take time for them to adapt to this new routine, in a few days or weeks, you will notice your legs won't feel like that on the 2nd lap,rather later on in the run, this will show that your muscles are adapting and you will start feeling results.

As for your back pain, it might be your posture, or the fact that you may be putting stress onto your shoulders, there is an ideal technique for your entire body that will maximize your run and minimize potential injuries due to the poor stature during the run.

If you see from this image, his shoulders on the left seem to be tensed,in a straight upright position, and on the right they seem more relaxed...Insha'Allaah you will strive towards success with ease.

Periwinkle18
12-27-2012, 02:17 AM
Have u ever tried gng up n down the stairs a couple of times?

iRock
02-17-2013, 11:04 AM
Running is really good , I do physical exercises everyday and I choose running .

glo
02-17-2013, 02:08 PM
I am running a 10K run for charity (Age UK) next Sunday. Wish me luck! :)

iRock
02-18-2013, 11:23 AM
If I run 10K , it will cost about 2 or 3 hours , wow :exhausted . Good luck my friend :D

glo
02-18-2013, 06:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by iRock
If I run 10K , it will cost about 2 or 3 hours , wow :exhausted . Good luck my friend :D
On a good day I can run 10K in 60 minutes, but since I'll be running with hundreds of other people which may hamper my speed and there is a nasty hill along the way, I'll be happy with anything under 70 minutes.

GuestFellow
02-18-2013, 06:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
On a good day I can run 10K in 60 minutes, but since I'll be running with hundreds of other people which may hamper my speed and there is a nasty hill along the way, I'll be happy with anything under 70 minutes.

Woah

I tend to skip and jog. I love skipping though. :) I can skip for an hour at least.

glo
02-24-2013, 02:13 PM
I finished the 10k in 61 minutes and 41 seconds. Not great, but not bad either.
There was a nasty north-easterly wind ... and it snowed ...

sister herb
02-24-2013, 04:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I finished the 10k in 61 minutes and 41 seconds. Not great, but not bad either.
There was a nasty north-easterly wind ... and it snowed ...

Now hot cup of tea and warm woolen socks to you, Glo.

Ahmed222
03-16-2013, 06:10 AM
I individually do not favor operating as a means of health and fitness and health - I think that it has a high(er) effect on the joint parts, esp legs and legs, and this should be regarded if you anticipate taking this up in the long run.

GuestFellow
03-20-2013, 09:34 PM
Give up Beardo, you will never lose weight. :/ Laxatives are an alternative... XD

BeTheChange
01-01-2014, 04:40 PM
I've just started going to the gym last month.

I go 3 times a week (but with the xmas and NYD holiday's my routine has been interrupted)

I run/walk on the treadmill for an hour and 30mins and am building up my stamina. It was really hard at first but now i absolutely love it. I wish i had the time to go everyday.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!