/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Moving to UK

Paprika
12-19-2012, 12:08 PM
Salaamz,

Just want to know if it is worth moving to UK? What type of careers are sought after? How easy is it to make a decent living and is there anything of concern in terms of deen?

Jazakallah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Cabdullahi
12-19-2012, 04:33 PM
Don't!

glo
12-19-2012, 05:46 PM
There are certainly a lot of Pakistanis in the UK. 750,000 according to the 2012 census.
Do you have friends and family from Pakistan here already?

Cabdullahi
12-19-2012, 07:15 PM
If you make it in before new years day and the number becomes 750,501 stay at home to avoid the paki-hunt.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
~Zaria~
12-19-2012, 07:34 PM
I want to move too, insha Allah! : )

Marina-Aisha
12-19-2012, 08:42 PM
Why?! Oh why do u wanna live here seriously I was born non muslim I remember thinkin when I have enough money I'm gonna move to New York. Now I'm Muslim I can't think worse country to live in I can't wait until me my hubbie enough money we can move to Nigeria :) I think maybe u should rethink about it, there lots people abusing the benefits lots people signing on at the job centre u have to be in muslim community to actually find a halal market or butcher...oh and very very coooooold! etc

Paprika
12-20-2012, 05:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cabdullahi
Don't!
Why not?

Paprika
12-20-2012, 05:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
There are certainly a lot of Pakistanis in the UK. 750,000 according to the 2012 census.
Do you have friends and family from Pakistan here already?
I am not from Pakistan;D
I have some family there, some in Bolton, some in Gloucester and know someone in London.

Paprika
12-20-2012, 05:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Marina-Aisha
Why?! Oh why do u wanna live here seriously I was born non muslim I remember thinkin when I have enough money I'm gonna move to New York. Now I'm Muslim I can't think worse country to live in I can't wait until me my hubbie enough money we can move to Nigeria :) I think maybe u should rethink about it, there lots people abusing the benefits lots people signing on at the job centre u have to be in muslim community to actually find a halal market or butcher...oh and very very coooooold! etc
I don't need benefits I can work, Nigeria?? Interesting, I am from South Africa and it's falling to piecesimsad

glo
12-20-2012, 05:58 AM
You are not? What made me think you were? :mmokay:

So, were do you live? Have you been to the UK before?

I moved here 22 years ago and I love it here. Of course, I am not a Muslims, but I know of many Muslims who feel very comfortable and integrated in this country ( - which of course isn't what everybody wants).
It might also depend a bit on where you move to. Some areas have a high Muslim representation, and Muslims may feel more integrated there.

Job prospects aren't brilliant at the moment and unemployment is quite high.
What is it you do for a living?

Paprika
12-20-2012, 06:03 AM
You are not? What made me think you were? :mmokay:

So, were do you live? Have you been to the UK before?

I moved here 22 years ago and I love it here. Of course, I am not a Muslims, but I know of many Muslims who feel very comfortable and integrated in this country ( - which of course isn't what everybody wants).
It might also depend a bit on where you move to. Some areas have a high Muslim representation, and Muslims may feel more integrated there.

Job prospects aren't brilliant at the moment and unemployment is quite high.
What is it you do for a living?
Where are you from originally? I am from South Africa, the Kingdom of the Zulu. Nope, never been to Uk, have family there, they were here a few months ago, the said the same thing about the job place, no work so......

I am a bookkeeper, currently doing a degree in Accounting.

glo
12-20-2012, 06:07 AM
I'm from Germany originally.
We have a couple of people from South Africa working in our team - one is our secretary, the other our clinical psychologist. But I think both have lived in the UK for a little while.

The UK doesn't have much industries anymore, but services such as bookkeeping and accounting should do reasonably well. Perhaps you could register with an agency or something to get more information?

Don't come right now though - it's the middle of winter here!! ;D

Paprika
12-20-2012, 06:09 AM
I'm from Germany originally.
We have a couple of people from South Africa working in our team - one is our secretary, the other our clinical psychologist. But I think both have lived in the UK for a little while.

The UK doesn't have much industries anymore, but services such as bookkeeping and accounting should do reasonably well. Perhaps you could register with an agency or something to get more information?

Don't come right now though - it's the middle of winter here!! ;D
Hmmm, interesting, I won't exactly be on the next boat, my mum isn't all that excited about the beeeg move, and I still have to figure out if I want to complete my degree first and then come or go while I am still studying.

The cold doesn't scare me, but the loooong summer fasts certainly does.:phew

~Zaria~
12-20-2012, 06:25 AM
Brother Paprika is from SA?

So am I, lol!

Which would explain why we both are wanting to move.....

Im actually praying that I can move to Saudi oneday, insha Allah.
Even though I have considered the UK for a short term.....

Allah knows best where the future will take us.

Read Istikharaah and trust in Him.

Paprika
12-20-2012, 08:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Zaria~
Brother Paprika is from SA?

So am I, lol!

Which would explain why we both are wanting to move.....

Im actually praying that I can move to Saudi oneday, insha Allah.
Even though I have considered the UK for a short term.....

Allah knows best where the future will take us.

Read Istikharaah and trust in Him.
Yes Maam, I am from the big Jozi Zoo, errrr where you from, don't tell me Durbs.....

Saudi only wants Americans, thats what I heard maybe british. You can live there your entire life and still not get citizenship.

UK, seems on a downhill slide like SA, I am also thinking Malaysia, any info on Malaysia???

~Zaria~
12-20-2012, 09:07 AM
^Originally from durbs, yes.....

Im aware of not gaining citzenship in Saudi - this does not bother me at all.

I dream of being able to be in the beloved city of the Prophet (sallalahu alaihi wasalam), read salaah in His blessed masjid, make umrah as often as possible - I cant think of anything better.

Citzenship is only related to this world.
It does not matter very much, when the aakhirah which our eternal home is the goal.

This life is just a bridge to get there.....

I havent considered Malaysia.

Tbh, Im not as mobile as yourself, without a mahram.

So, Im likely stuck with Zuma and his crew for some time....:/

Cabdullahi
12-20-2012, 09:10 AM
Maybe i can swap with brother paprika..so i can leave england once and for all and join my zulu brothers in South Africa

Paprika
12-20-2012, 09:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Zaria~
^Originally from durbs, yes.....

Im aware of not gaining citzenship in Saudi - this does not bother me at all.

I dream of being able to be in the beloved city of the Prophet (sallalahu alaihi wasalam), read salaah in His blessed masjid, make umrah as often as possible - I cant think of anything better.

Citzenship is only related to this world.
It does not matter very much, when the aakhirah which our eternal home is the goal.

This life is just a bridge to get there.....

I havent considered Malaysia.

Tbh, Im not as mobile as yourself, without a mahram.

So, Im likely stuck with Zuma and his crew for some time....:/
Yeah, me too, Verulam, Tongaat boy. I think you should go back to Durbs, Jozi e-tolls gonna be a killer.

I understand that, it's just that they can kick you out anytime they want no matter how long you may be living there which is not fun. You could be like really settled and then bam, out you go.

Some of my family have been to Malaysia and say it's really nice, you should consider it, once you find a mahram.

Seems I'm gonna be stuck too, time to zulu dance......:enough!:

Paprika
12-20-2012, 09:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cabdullahi
Maybe i can swap with brother paprika..so i can leave england once and for all and join my zulu brothers in South Africa
I hope you like pap and are comfortable wearing a goat skin and dancing like a maniac. Where's that passport please??

Paprika
12-20-2012, 09:34 AM
@Zaria, did you know they want something like R10k for a UK work permit?? I think it's ridiculous, what if you still don't get a job???

I think marrying a UK citizen would be the easiest, but just too lame a reason for marriage.

~Zaria~
12-20-2012, 05:58 PM
^ I had no idea - its obvious that they are using the fee to try to limit foreigners into the country.

Oh well, at least we have good weather and beaches back home....(actually, i think this is probably the only things we have going for us at the moment :/ ).

mlleahmed
06-29-2016, 11:15 AM
I'm in the UK! It's nice here

The weather is so so!

mezzi_sohal
08-31-2016, 10:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Paprika
Salaamz,

Just want to know if it is worth moving to UK? What type of careers are sought after? How easy is it to make a decent living and is there anything of concern in terms of deen?

Jazakallah
I am a Pakistani girl born and living in Birmingham, England. Certain areas are dominated by Muslims, so you can know many people of the ummah. However, thought I have not directly experienced any, abuse based on our Islamic faith can occur. I often feel isolated or as though I don't fit in in certain areas or around certain people. Currently, I am on holiday in Scotland. Though there are not many Muslims here, those that I have met are so compassionate and so kind. We visited a pond and a man was there feeding the ducks. He noticed me and my mother wearing hijab and went and said Salaam to my dad. He was so friendly, he gave us advice about Islam and where to find halal restaurants and such - and he was a complete stranger! He believed that England was not nice, but Scotland is; the country is beautiful and people are generally not racist. Another man noticed we were Muslim and helped us, reassured us we are safe in Scotland. Today a shopkeeper, also a Muslim noticed our hijabs and struck conversation too. He even gave us free lollipops! A woman serving us in a shop wearing hijab saw us wearing hijab and seemed pleasantly surprised there were other muslims and kept smiling at us. Even people whose faith I didn't know (baring in mind they did not dress as Muslims typically would) are so kind. One woman just smiled at me - regardless of my hijab, and that is only in the 2 days I have been here. I can't at the moment remember an instance where a complete stranger smiled at me on the streets in England in the 15 years I have lived there. That being said, if you do come to England, just find an area where there are many Muslims and you should be fine, in sha Allah.
In terms of jobs, I have no advice - I am just a student!
In sha Allah, you will find a nice place to live.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!