/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 2012 coming to a close

Darth Ultor
12-25-2012, 09:57 PM
Well, the holidays are almost over and as such, so will be the year 2012 in a few days. So here is my annual grade the year thread. Personally, I found 2012 to be really unfulfilling and hardly anything seemed to go right. But I must say it wasn't a bad year like 2001 and 2010. D from me.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Cabdullahi
12-25-2012, 10:03 PM
I gave it an A because i graduated from uni, almost married but it flopped and i had one of the best ramadan experiences ever.

specs
12-25-2012, 10:40 PM
It's been okay for me.. lost and gained. But the best thing is one thing that cause me so much pain only has brought me closer to Allah, Alhumdulilah for whatever happened. C for me.

crimsontide06
12-26-2012, 12:49 AM
Every year I am alive is an A ^_^

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
12-26-2012, 01:07 AM
'twas a bad year preceded by a good ten worse- can't decide which of them stands out as most deplorable. Although 1996, 1999, 2004 were pretty heinous too.. many death undoubtedly the first major one in 96 just took my breath away (not counting my brother's Muslim friend who committed suicide in high school) which left us all breathless- but then the whole world seems a place of death & misery - guess there's always retail therapy!

~Zaria~
12-26-2012, 08:42 AM
All praise is due to Allah for every year and for whatever happens to us.

I am reminded of beautiful lecture by Sheikh Hamza Yusuf, of which I have quoted a short portion below:

" Allah says in the quraan -
“…And few of My servants are grateful. (shakur) ” [Quran 34: 13]

The 'shakur' are the ones who are grateful for calamities and tribulations - not just blessings, i.e. he feels grateful when horrible things happen to him.

At best, most people are patient or resigned. But the 'shakur' actually says Alhamdulillah (All praise is due to Allah) - because he knows that Allah only does good for His believer.

There is a hadith in Sahih Muslim:

The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him):

“How wonderful is the affair of the believer, for his affairs are all good, and this applies to no one but the believer.

If something good happens to him, he is thankful for it and that is good for him.
If something bad happens to him, he bears it with patience and that is good for him.”
(Narrated by Muslim, 2999).

As they say in the hood: 'Its all good'.
^ What they need to learn is that if you are a believer, its all good. If you are not a believer - its all bad, even the good!

And if we really do believe this, then we enter into a state of gratitude, EVEN for the tribulations - ALHAMDULILLAH.

Ibn Abbas said - 'No matter how bad it is, it could be worse.'

....If you attempt to enumerate the bounties of Allah, you will never enumerate it. " (End Quote)

So, brothers and sisters - there should be no need to 'grade' our years.

It is ALL GOOD, Alhamdulillah - even what we perceive as 'bad'.

Do we realise how MUCH Allah (subhanawataála) LOVES us.
He is not trying to harm His creation by the trials that we face - because He LOVES us, and He is THE MOST MERCIFUL.

Its up to us to decide how we chose to view each tribulation that we face - if it has been a means of drawing us closer to Allah, then Alhamdulillah - then this has been a blessing in a disguised form. If it has been a means of drawing you further away from Allah, then perhaps its a punishment (a lesser one, here on this dunya) - but still, Allah desires that you turn to HIM.

@ Darth Ultor, I pray that you would oneday acknowledge the existence of the One Creator - the One who has created you from nothing, and who continues to sustain you out of His love and mercy. Then you too, will understand the beauty of the state of the believer, as described above.

Edit: for those who may wish to listen to the rest of this beneficial lecture insha Allah:

http://www.clickislam.org/server2/Ha...-Gratitude.mp3

'Abd Al-Maajid
12-26-2012, 09:08 AM
Certainly an A for me. :statisfie 2012 has to be the most productive year of my life till date.

Insaanah
12-26-2012, 11:34 AM
Hmm.

What is it that makes the coming of the 31st December the time that we reflect?

A year is approx 355 days Islamically, or 365 otherwise.

As Muslims, we should be reflecting at the end of each of those 355 days, as to what we did that day, how it went, and how it was as a day for us, thanking Allah for His blessings and asking for His comfort in our sorrows and His help with our problems, and reflecting how we're going to improve. To reflect 355 days later as to how things went, is a bit late...

Also, if some good or bad happens to us, why do we need to view it between the period of 1st Jan -31st December? Why not view each event or group of events as they were?

glo
12-26-2012, 05:49 PM
I am not sure I can grade it. Every year, indeed every day, brings joys and sadnesses, blessings and trials.
They all have their place.

2012 was a period of time that God made for us. Let us be glad (and grateful) and rejoice in it.

God willing, he will see us through the next year too.

IbnAbdulHakim
12-26-2012, 08:40 PM
A !!!!!!!!!

a new sister in law - a new nephew

a new niece

AMAZING YEAR

sister herb
12-27-2012, 03:33 PM
A to me

I lost my job but found new one

I teach my language in one charity group to the immigrants. That means I meat people from all over the world and learn to undertand they cultures too. Also I write stories to kids and dramas for theater.

:D

Cabdullahi
12-27-2012, 11:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
A to me

I meat people from all over the world

:D
Only an international cannibal would make a mistake like that

sister herb
12-28-2012, 12:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cabdullahi
I mean meet, not eat them.

:heated:

cOsMiCiNtUiTiOn
12-28-2012, 02:10 AM
I would say an A. Things never go as one plans, so I cannot discredit the progress I've made even with many hiccups and trips.

Alhamdullilah!

Hope next year is better insha Allah.

- cOsMiC

جوري
12-28-2012, 02:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
I mean meet, not eat them.

:heated:
For some reason I doubt it.. that was clearly Freudian and I think you like the taste of foreign spice!

sister herb
12-28-2012, 02:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cabdullahi
Actually that was funny comment. ;D They are my human friends, not meat.

:phew

Sorry English is not my own language.

Bint-e-Adam
12-31-2012, 12:51 PM
This year was really really hard to me. mnay many difficulties that i faced so hardly.
MAy ALlah bless The next year 2013 with so many joys and His Rehmat.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!