/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Do self proclaimed Muslim countries make Islam look bad??

anonymous
12-26-2012, 04:04 PM
There are so many stories from Iran, Afghanistan, Iraq..ect of Muslim law leading to the slaughter of women/children, unjust actions and violence. No wonder the world has a negative view on Islam. How do we change this?

Just because a country rules in the name of Islam doesn't mean the people actually follow Islam the way it is meant to be followed.

I am not talking about ignorant racists who would hate Muslims even if they believed we are peaceful...etc.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
12-26-2012, 04:32 PM
What do you think? and what can we do to dispell or assert your beliefs? are you interested in a response based on your already preformed assertion?

best,

anonymous
12-26-2012, 04:39 PM
I am a Muslim but I get discouraged and sad whenever I see a story of injustice that paints Islam as a savage religion. Part of it could be the medias propaganda trying to make it LOOK that way.

جوري
12-26-2012, 04:42 PM
That's part of their plan & I don't think they're succeeding with it given a few indication one of them is the rise of Muslims everywhere plus the number of converts, what should be our individual plan though?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
anonymous
12-26-2012, 04:45 PM
Personally I have thought about writing a book about Islam to better educate people here in the U.S.

glo
12-26-2012, 05:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
Personally I have thought about writing a book about Islam to better educate people here in the U.S.
Why don't you?
Or start with a blog, if writing a book seems to ambitious at first ...

cottonrainbow
12-27-2012, 03:40 PM
The media controls the thoughts of the people (if they allow it to) which is why I rarely watch news tv or any tv for that matter (maybe an occassional movie or comedy show). A blog would be a great idea as Glo stated before.
The things we see or hear is the worst of the worst from those countries. There is a lot that goes on in Europe and America, but it is watered down or not shown at all.

QueenofHerts
12-27-2012, 11:30 PM
Sadly women and children are being bombed daily but the US army in the name of freedom. Muslim leaders tend to be bad but then again so are the non muslim ones, but everyone has different tactics, but all resulting in the same goal which is money, power, fame. May Allah help our brothers and sisters, ameen.

specs
12-28-2012, 12:11 AM
go for it! I would love to read it if you do :D

M.I.A.
12-28-2012, 02:39 AM
k op heres the thing,

you become a muslim when you say the shahada..

its pretty much a declaration of belief in an all controlling god.

then you read the rules and regulations.

and you face the test of life.

you make your decisions and you become a part of the consequences.

...and as far as i can tell, you are the rest of the world.

what you work towards is of consequence to you.

what you add momentum too is of consequence to you.

...those are extremely important points.

so if you want to change the perception of islam then just live as a muslim.

but if you take every action to be against you or your role to be of unrelenting power..

then you either dont understand that there is a god.

or the days of killing women and children are not far away.

that is what happens in war, corruption and hardheartedness.

i may be wrong though,

those that consider every cry to be against them, they are your enemies... dont know exactly where in the quran thats written... or if im even using it in context.

if it is correct....then you just have to understand what transgression is.

its a nutty concept but i guess people do as they like, if you ever find people that you like.. in action and intent. then hold on to them.

but never be so far gone as to not be able to admit error.

..maybe that is the problem.

(the irony of being able to see those that would mock you)

anonymous
04-04-2013, 10:21 AM
Just because a country rules in the name of Islam doesn't mean the people actually follow Islam the way it is meant to be followed.
I live in the UAE and although it is not classed as an Islamic country per se but the majority who live here are Muslims, the masjids are sadly empty. When the adhan is called people do not take much notice and go about their normal duties.

We Muslims claim that the Christian church attendence is dwindling but the sad truth is that attendance in the masjid is also dwindling. We all need to wake up and accept the truth.

Allahu Alum.

glo
04-04-2013, 03:24 PM
I live in the UAE and although it is not classed as an Islamic country per se but the majority who live here are Muslims, the masjids are sadly empty. When the adhan is called people do not take much notice and go about their normal duties.

We Muslims claim that the Christian church attendence is dwindling but the sad truth is that attendance in the masjid is also dwindling. We all need to wake up and accept the truth.

Allahu Alum.
I don't know if this is of interest to people, but I came across this through an American revert friend:
http://www.unmosquedthemovie.com/

It explores the reason for the drop in attendance in US mosques.

(Mods, please remove this post if you feel it is inappropriate or in any way critical of Islam ...)

IslamicRevival
04-04-2013, 04:01 PM
^ 0:36 of video "90% of Imam's are immigrants and i don't think Imam's understand what America is all about".

There is an element of truth to this statement and unfortunately its harming Muslims, particularly the youth who aren't on the same wavelength. Its why im so grateful we have amazing Scholars such as Sheikh Hamza Yusuf, Ustadh Nouman Ali Khan (and many more Alhamdulillah) who are able to connect with Muslims (and Non Muslims) from the western world.

Scimitar
04-04-2013, 04:46 PM
where I live in the Uk, mosques are packed ma sha Allah. I've definitely seen more people attending over the years. Jumma time we have 2 khutba's in the local masjids here because one sitting isn't enough - there's a lot of Muslims here. There are 3 masjids within easy walking distance to my home, and that's saying something.

but this is London, not NY. This side of the pond, Islam is getting stronger I think.

Scimi

glo
04-04-2013, 05:01 PM
My friend researched this in her blog amongst her revert friends.

Many of those who preferred to worship at home gave as reason that they did not feel welcomed at mosque. Examples they gave were that they felt judged as being 'too American' (for example by wearing clothes which were halal and Islamic, but American style instead of 'traditionally Islamic').
Other reasons given were that the women's area was often shabby and tucked away somewhere and that people struggled with the segregation of the sexes on the whole. Especially young families preferred to worship together (either as couples or as families) - which in the mosque they couldn't but at home they can.

Perhaps these are more issues relating to reverts?

anonymous
04-04-2013, 05:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
where I live in the Uk, mosques are packed ma sha Allah. I've definitely seen more people attending over the years. Jumma time we have 2 khutba's in the local masjids here because one sitting isn't enough - there's a lot of Muslims here. There are 3 masjids within easy walking distance to my home, and that's saying something.

but this is London, not NY. This side of the pond, Islam is getting stronger I think.

Scimi
Similarly the masjids here in the UAE are also full on Fridays as there are so many "Jumma Muslims" very much like "Eid Muslims" and "Ramadan Muslims".

tearose
04-04-2013, 06:28 PM
I don't know what the purposes of making this film was, but I don't recognise anything they are saying. I am not American, but I do come from a Western background, and I am a revert. I oppose the idea that imams and scholars should adapt to Western culture. Rather, reverts should try to make an effort to adapt to Islamic values and make necessary sacrifices. When I first reverted, I lived in a Muslim country and if I went to the mosque everything was in Arabic - I barely understood a word but I knew if I was to learn I would have to be patient. I have lived in three different countries since becoming Muslim - I haven't had a problem in any of them. I have met and interacted with Muslims from Morocco, Tunisia, Pakistan, Egypt, Turkey, Hong Kong, Kenya, Niger, and of course other European reverts like myself. The vast majority have made me feel completely welcome, most have gone out of their way to make me feel welcome. Islam is a huge change from a Western lifestyle, and it takes time to adapt, but Islam must be accepted as it is. Brothers ought to pray the fard prayers in the masjid if they are able to, so it is reasonable that the area reserved for them will be larger and have more facilities. Sisters should see gender segregation as a blessing - it protects us and makes it easier for us to pray in the masjid and seek knowledge there. Alhamdulilah, I haven't seen any problems - I have seen people praying in the street because the masjid is too full, we have plenty of classes available and everyone gets on fine - immigrants, reverts whoever. If, theoretically, someone does find that the others in the masjid are not so welcoming, perhaps he/she could make the effort to be friendly, and, failing that, realise that acts of worship are for the sake of Allah, so it shouldn't matter about what the other people there are like.

MustafaMc
04-05-2013, 10:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I don't know if this is of interest to people, but I came across this through an American revert friend:
http://www.unmosquedthemovie.com/

It explores the reason for the drop in attendance in US mosques.
glo, thank you for sharing this video. I saw absolutely nothing wrong with your posting it here as it is not being critical of Islam but of the poor practice of Islam by Muslims in the West. I have been a Muslim since 1982 and I have visited quite a few masjids over the years. Needless to say, but very rarely has there been even one other Caucasian American convert to Islam in the congregational prayers. Some may see this comment as racist, but I believe that Islam will always have a minimal impact on the West until it captures the heart and soul of those having European ancestry.

What America needs is help in purifying its national heart.

Insaanah
04-05-2013, 05:31 PM
I have moved this thread from family and society, as this is more a general or world affairs topic.

None of the posts made anonymously here, need to be made anonymously. It's not clear who is the op and who isn't. People are using the account so that nobody knows it's them when they're saying something. Please remember that abuse of the anonymous account is not looked on favourably. Those who have been using that account to say what they want to say, can now do so by logging in with their own accounts.

Furthermore, the last few posts were not pertaining to the topic of the thread. Off-topic posts have been edited/deleted.

I'll give this thread one more chance. Please stick to the topic of the thread. Failure to do so does run the risk of the thread being closed.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!