/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Egyptian Sheikh sent to prison for speaking against movie star

islamica
12-26-2012, 11:36 PM
Elham Shahin vs the Sheikh: TV preacher sent behind bars for 'public blasphemy'

This week a controversial court case in Egypt has sent shockwaves through the Arab entertainment world as TV's Islamist preacher Sheikh Abdullah Badr has reportedly been sentenced to a year behind bars for the 'public blasphemy' of Egyptian actress Elham Shahin.

The famous duo have been trading insults for the best part of this year since Elham's anti-Islamist views unleashed a torrent of televised abuse from the preacher.

Abdullah publicly accused the actress of "teaching girls adultery and nudity" in her movies and went even further to say that, unless she publicly repents, she will be going straight to hell when she dies.

And the preacher didn't stop there. Back in August he held up a photo of Elham during a live TV appearance and said: "This is called adultery".

Now, not only has Abdullah been sentenced to a year in jail for his crimes, he is also said to have been slapped with a huge fine of 20 thousand Egyptian pounds.

And the bad news doesn't end there for the preacher. This is just the first round of the trial with a number of pending lawsuits filed by the Egyptian diva yet to be dealt with.

According to Middle East news portal Elaph, Elham is over the moon with the results and is not-so-quietly confident that the rest of the lawsuits will swing in her favor too.

http://www.albawaba.com/entertainmen...-shahin-457884

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ali_008
12-27-2012, 05:40 AM
I don't understand. How can a scholar get to accusing people of their sins so openly? That's unislamic behavior.

Pygoscelis
12-27-2012, 06:45 AM
I am strongly for freedom of speech, and this preacher should not be jailed for what he said. But that said..... the irony here is absolutely hilarious :giggling:

Blasphemy laws can apparently backfire. :D

GuestFellow
12-27-2012, 01:28 PM
:sl:

This actress is clearly behaving against Islamic teachings. There is nothing wrong with pointing out her sins. She is setting a bad example and therefore deserves to be subject to criticism. If she was committing her sins in private, then her sins should not be exposed. However, she is displaying her sins for the entire world to be seen. What a horrible creature, deserves to rot in prison for being such a tramp. I dislike individuals that use the legal system to make £££.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Cabdullahi
12-27-2012, 01:37 PM
In a world where the most raunchiest person is the most beautiful. The one with the most suggestive behavior is the star...(The najma!)

Urban Turban
01-09-2013, 05:16 PM
And all this is happening in the land of Al-Azhar...
If the actress has openly spoken against Islam / Islamic values and this has been the reason why the respected Sheikh has made her a target of his abuse and the reason for him going to jail, then I say:

Alhamdulillah, Sheikh! Your sacrifice will bear fruits...in this life and definitely in the hereafter.

May the likes of him increase manifold, Ameen.

Urban Turban
01-09-2013, 05:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by GuestFellow
:sl:

This actress is clearly behaving against Islamic teachings. There is nothing wrong with pointing out her sins. She is setting a bad example and therefore deserves to be subject to criticism. If she was committing her sins in private, then her sins should not be exposed. However, she is displaying her sins for the entire world to be seen. What a horrible creature, deserves to rot in prison for being such a tramp. I dislike individuals that use the legal system to make £££.
Make dua for her, we haven't done anything to be practicing [if we are] - Its all by Allah's fadhl upon us.
There have been umpteen cases where people have become what they hate - so be careful in what you say.
Just friendly advice bro.
No offense.

جوري
01-09-2013, 05:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
I am strongly for freedom of speech, and this preacher should not be jailed for what he said. But that said..... the irony here is absolutely hilarious :giggling:

Blasphemy laws can apparently backfire. :D
No actually that is the way it is in a secular society especially one like Egypt. 'Islamists' are imprisoned while kaffir liberals mouth off crap around the clock.. you'd find no irony it is an every day occurrence and should actually explain to you why folks would rather Islam than the so-called western style freedom. BTW it is no different in the west. You get charged here for thought crimes and sometimes even droned over it.

best,

جوري
01-09-2013, 05:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali_008
I don't understand. How can a scholar get to accusing people of their sins so openly? That's unislamic behavior.
:sl: akhi,

You actually don't know the long or short of it, starting with this woman going out in the counter revolution protests that caused the death of seven 'Islamists' around the ita7dyia palace, believe me pointing out her BS openly is the least of our problems. She's actively creating fitna in the country & that's worse than war according to Islam.
It isn't a new thing for our scholars to be imprisoned and the *****s to have all the airtime.. in fact a sign of the time. And I promise you, you couldn't sit through five minutes of her movies.

When I was traveling aboard Egypt Air last time, they usually have western and eastern movies, the western ones out of the U.S were more chaste compared. The first five minutes into the movie she's walking out in a negligee and look how obese she's and having some man zip her. The sheikh merely pointed out what everyone already knows and has seen plus her strong anti-ethical stance.. it is hilarious, they should entitle it when counter revolts ware made by the rich 1%.

:w:

GuestFellow
01-09-2013, 05:55 PM
She's absolutely vile. Disgusting creature. I don't normally dislike people this much but this ugly pathetic creature is an exception. Poor sheikh...

Oh I don't see the western media defending freedom of speech here.

جوري
01-09-2013, 05:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by GuestFellow
Oh I don't see the western media defending freedom of speech here.
Nor will they, as I stated, you're only free to decry the rights of Muslims, you're free to mock them, you're free to falsely imprison, to paint as savages, as retards, to mock all that is sacred. You're not free however to point that out as hypocrisy nor reciprocate then they've a thousand label for you!

Muezzin
01-10-2013, 12:22 AM
As a person completely ignorant of the surrounding facts and cultural norms of modern Egypt, as well as any other information about either individual, to me this thing kind of looks like two attention-seekers seeking attention.

Ho-hum.

M.I.A.
02-09-2013, 06:13 PM
trolled straight into prison.

?

maybe he should have used the feminist argument.

its literally a copy past of any trial going on at the moment.

so intent to chop peoples heads off that we forget how to fight.

or why we even do so?

titus
02-10-2013, 04:43 AM
So it's illegal in Egypt to say that you believe someone is immoral and going to hell? This is a great example of why freedom of speech should be universal.

The woman should have the right to say she will not vote for any Islamic party, and he should have the right to say she is a bad Muslim. The fact that either one of them can use the government to silence the other is ridiculous and disturbing.

Futuwwa
02-12-2013, 10:04 AM
If the Sheikh made a spurious accusation of adultery, there is an Islamic case for punishing him for it.

GuestFellow
02-12-2013, 07:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A.
maybe he should have used the feminist argument.
Nah then you will have some Muslims saying "bwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaah he's supports western values and bwaah"...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!