/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Handling Extreme Disrespect towards Islam Online

Ali_008
12-27-2012, 07:06 PM
:sl:

Everyday I easily see 10-15 comments on various websites where people are vilifying Islam. The topic doesn't even need to concern Islam, but they'll just land on it somehow, and put to use their most disgusting vocabulary. Like any red-blooded Muslim, I get unimaginably angry, yet I feel that we Muslims are a complete failure in delivering the message of Islam, and that is why these people have such a bad opinion of our great deen. I try to respond in some situations, and I don't even realize how I actually start getting sarcastic when I'd be responding to these haters. Overall, most people vainly hear/read what I have to say, and stick to their good ole' dislike for Islam. They defame Rasoolullah :saws: as well, and even curse him, but I don't even know what to do in such situations. In such situations, what do you people suggest be done? Just backing out of the debate is an option, but it also keeps giving you the idea that you surrendered and handed them the victory, when they accused the prophet, you couldn't even defend him. How do you think a Muslim should react and what should he do in such situations?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
سيف الله
12-27-2012, 07:37 PM
Salaam

Yes the internet can be a very ugly place. Story of humanity I'm afraid, not much can be done about that :hmm: Though I will say over time will you will toughen up and eventually the insults go over your head. And you'll be able to dish it out if necessary. :omg:

Don't waste time debating endlessly over the internet, very unhealthy over time. Just because you don't reply doesn't mean the debate is concluded.

Anyway Ive realised over the years its pointless to engage with people like that and its better to avoid them like you'd avoid the plague :skeleton:.

Its better to stay on forums like this, or meet people face to face where you can have civilized discussion on a whole range of topics.

~Zaria~
12-27-2012, 07:46 PM
Assalamu-alaikum,

The question to ask, is why are you on these sites/ forums in the first place akhee?

In days gone past, when the internet did not exist - the kuffaar would also plot, scheme, insult and slander our prophet (sallalahu alaihi wasalam) and our religion.
The difference is - that in those days, we did not associate ourselves directly with such people and so, we were not aware of these diseased hearts.

Today, we have access to anything and everything.

So, its up to US to protect what enters our ears, eyes.....and eventually penetrates our hearts.

Some may say that how can we turn a 'blind' eye to all those whose set purpose is to vilify our deen?

Because:

1. It is not humanly possible to address each and every website out there that is propagating corruption.

2. Even IF, each one of us in this ummah were to tackle these sites collectively - what purpose would it eventually serve?
Does it result in any change in thought or behaviour?
Or instead endless arguments - that consumes ALOT of time - time that could, and should be spent in the remembrance of Allah, in investing in our aakhirah, in seeking beneficial knowledge and in strengthening our ummah.

3. Also, if you believe that there is no harm in engaging in such debates/ discussions.....that you are safe from falling into a web of innovations and lies yourself, and that your imaan can remain secure, then consider the following:

The great Imaam of Ahlus-Sunnah, Sufyaan al-Thawree [d.167H] said:

"Whoever sits with a person of innovation (bid'ah) cannot escape one of three [3] things:
1. He is a trial and tribulation for others,
2. Something may fall into his heart that remains with him and causes him to enter the Hellfire or he will say,
3. 'By Allaah,I do not care about what they say and I have full confidence in myself.'

Whoever feels that they are not in need of Allaah to safeguard his religion even for the blinking of an eye then He will take it from him."

Ibn 'Abbaas (radiyallaahu ýanhumaa) said: "Do not sit with the people of ahwaa', for verily their gatherings cause sickness in the hearts."

Sufyaan ath-Thawree [d.161H] said: "Whoever lends his hearing to a person of bid'ah has gone out from the protection of Allaah and is entrusted to himself." (Al-Ibaanah #444)

Abu Qilaabah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: Do not sit with those who follow their whims and desires and do not debate with them, for I cannot be sure that they will not tempt you into misguidance or confuse you about the religion as they are confused.

Akhee, your intentions are good.
But alhamdulillah, there is far better.

Instead, we can engage in:

1. Strengthening our OWN knowledge in islam - take up hifz and arabic classes. Learn about the life of the prophet (sallalahu alaihi wasalam) - and the lives of all the prophets before him (peace be upon them), attend beneficial lectures, etc.

The fact is, that despite living in an age when knowledge literally exists at our finger-tips, this ummah is the weakest in terms of its knowledge.
So, lets start investing in ourselves and in those around us first, insha Allah.

2. Once the above is ful-filled, then we would insha Allah have the foundations in place to start spreading this knowledge to others.
At the moment, there are lots of islamic web-sites, blogs, forums that are already serving this purpose.
It may not be necessary to duplicate what is already out there, but rather expanding on it - and promoting/ spreading the message to others.

3. Most importantly - to trust in Allah azza wajjal.
He is the All-Seer, the All- Knower. And He is aware of the plots of the kuffaar.

Have faith that victory would be ours insha Allah - but in the interim, WE have to develop ourselves to be the type of ummah that existed in the age of the sahaba, or insha Allah, as close as possible.

:wa:

جوري
12-27-2012, 07:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Zaria~
The question to ask, is why are you on these sites/ forums in the first place akhee?
Ditto that.
:jz: you know they actually have cyber soldiers who are paid to be shills so what is the point? If someone is going to read hateful bigoted comments and believe them then it is actually saying something about them as people than us as Muslims..
Also I have recently bought two great books in case anyone is interested- one is called tongue fu and the other called the gentle art of verbal self defense in case there 'real' life situations not virtual ones where you need to disarm a toxic person..

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
*charisma*
12-27-2012, 07:52 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

I usually use good judgement before I add my comments to debates. Sometimes no matter what you say, the people will not care and will not even bother to read..their only purpose is just to insult Islam and make the muslims angry, or as others would call it, they're intended purpose is simply to troll. However, when I do comment, the reason I do so is because there is some kind of clear misconception, especially on posts that muslims may frequent. I prefer to correct those misconceptions and insults for the sole purpose of making sure the muslims do not feel alone or ashamed to be muslim, and a reminder for them in case they begin to have doubts about certain things in Islam. If by these posts nonMuslims become interested in Islam, then alhemdulilah, if not then alhemdulilah..but we have to take care of our own sometimes and not worry about others.

fi aman allah
wa'alaikum asalaam

crimsontide06
12-27-2012, 08:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Zaria~
1. Strengthening our OWN knowledge in islam - take up hifz and arabic classes. Learn about the life of the prophet (sallalahu alaihi wasalam) - and the lives of all the prophets before him (peace be upon them), attend beneficial lectures, etc.

The fact is, that despite living in an age when knowledge literally exists at our finger-tips, this ummah is the weakest in terms of its knowledge.
So, lets start investing in ourselves and in those around us first, insha Allah.

2. Once the above is ful-filled, then we would insha Allah have the foundations in place to start spreading this knowledge to others.
At the moment, there are lots of islamic web-sites, blogs, forums that are already serving this purpose.
It may not be necessary to duplicate what is already out there, but rather expanding on it - and promoting/ spreading the message to others.

3. Most importantly - to trust in Allah azza wajjal.
He is the All-Seer, the All- Knower. And He is aware of the plots of the kuffaar.

Have faith that victory would be ours insha Allah - but in the interim, WE have to develop ourselves to be the type of ummah that existed in the age of the sahaba, or insha Allah, as close as possible.
I agree 100% No need in arguing with ignorant people. It is best to learn about religion yourself and then spread knowledge.

Ali_008
12-27-2012, 08:57 PM
I know that arguing with these ignorant folks isn't going to fetch me anything, but anger mostly. But I also keep thinking of the sayings of Rasoolullah :saws: in which he said that the enemies of Islam will plot against Islam, and at that time Muslims will be huge in number, but of no power. We have seen the slaughter of millions of Muslims so far in Palestine, Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, Burma, Syria, Chechnya and others. We may turn a blind eye to these comments, but it is like overlooking termites. You may not care about them, but they will slowly eat your house down if you're not cautious enough.

Like one of the sisters mentioned above, the plots to defame and misrepresent Islam are in full swing. At the same time, it is also our responsibility to uphold the flag of Islam. Very few among us do actual one-on-one dawah. Mostly, our dawah is just clearing misconceptions about Islam whether online or offline, and in the process, we totally forget about actually inviting the person to Islam. Clearing misconceptions doesn't necessarily indicate that the doors of Islam are open for everyone unless that is the concept which you were giving dawah about. Of all the people we come across in our daily lives, I don't think even 0.0000000001% receive information about Islam from us. We have an opportunity at hand of doing dawah at least online as it gives us the luxury of anonymity and avoiding eye-contact. We do negligible dawah outside the web, we should be doing at least some on the web even if it is directed at the hardcore haters.

I agree with what Sister Zaria said, but it is not THE solution to the problem. It might have been so if we were as active offline with our dawah activities as we are online.

Ramadan90
12-27-2012, 09:21 PM
Sister Zaria answered it best. It is really waste of time to look up Islam haters and debate with them. They want to make you angry. When you react and get angry, you will not only start an infinite debate which results in waste of time and energy but you give them exactly what they want. It is not healthy. You are not in control of their hearts. Leave that to Allah and put your energy and time into what Zaria suggested. That will bring you more results.

GuestFellow
12-27-2012, 10:07 PM
Ignore it.

Iqra101
12-27-2012, 10:18 PM
I am living in a Western country and from all the years I have lived out of my Islamic country I noticed one thing which is the ignorant are very ignorant and the ones who actually do care to learn something will themselves take the time and ask questions to learn.

specs
12-27-2012, 11:47 PM
Lets pray that Allah Subhana wa Ta'ala guides them all. Ameen.

MartyrX
12-28-2012, 05:28 PM
Salaam,

Sometimes it's best to ignore those statements. Most of them are looking to incite anger against you or well Muslims in general. You can try and reach out to them, but be careful. Show them that you are the bigger person. Not by proving that their religion is wrong or whatever. Show that you are the better person with Islam.

Endymion
12-28-2012, 05:48 PM
And when you see those who engage in [offensive] discourse concerning Our verses, then turn away from them until they enter into another conversion. And if Satan should cause you to forget, then do not remain after the reminder with the wrongdoing people.
6:68

glo
12-28-2012, 08:07 PM
I agree with the above posters.
If somebody is deliberately out to insult you and your religion or to spread falsehood and hatred against what you believe, then (within an Internet forum) there is little you can do about it.

You can attempt to put them right once or twice, doing so calmly and patiently ... but if they don't want to listen, there is not much you can do.

If it is a moderated forum and the moderators are good, then you could try to go down that route.

Apart from that, just log yourself out, take a deep breath (or a long walk), pray and do something else.
Most of all, be aware of your own feelings and responses. If their hatred and nastiness has infested and affected you, then arguably they have won. Don't let them!

Remember the beauty, the peace and the serenity of your religion and let that carry you through!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!