/* */

PDA

View Full Version : New Year's resolution

'Abd-al Latif
01-01-2013, 12:37 PM
Something interesting I've learnt.

The ancient Babylonians made promises to their gods at the start of each year that they would return borrowed objects and pay their debts.[1]

The Romans began each year by making promises to the god Janus, for whom the month of January is named.[2]

In the Medieval era, the knights took the "peacock vow" at the end of the Christmas season each year to re-affirm their commitment to chivalry.[1]

At watchnight services, many Christians prepare for the year ahead by praying and making these resolutions.[3]

There are other religious parallels to this tradition. During Judaism's New Year, Rosh Hashanah, through the High Holidays and culminating in Yom Kippur (the Day of Atonement), one is to reflect upon one's wrongdoings over the year and both seek and offer forgiveness. People may act similarly during the Catholic fasting period of Lent, though the motive behind this holiday is more of sacrifice than of responsibility, in fact the practice of New Year's resolutions partially came from the Lenten sacrifices.[3] The concept, regardless of creed, is to reflect upon self-improvement annually.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Year's_resolution

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Periwinkle18
01-01-2013, 12:42 PM
^ jazakAllah for sharing didn't know tht.

glo
01-01-2013, 02:11 PM
How is the concept of making a resolution to improve oneself viewed in Islam?

IbnAbdulHakim
01-01-2013, 02:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
How is the concept of making a resolution to improve oneself viewed in Islam?
I've already done it a million times :D

not gone so good though :hiding:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Indian Bro
01-01-2013, 02:51 PM
The whole concept of new year resolution doesn't make sense to me. If someone wants to change something about themselves or wish to behave differently they can do it any time any day, why wait for a particular date to decide what changes they would like to make in their life.

glo
01-01-2013, 04:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Indian Bro
The whole concept of new year resolution doesn't make sense to me. If someone wants to change something about themselves or wish to behave differently they can do it any time any day, why wait for a particular date to decide what changes they would like to make in their life.
I agree that the idea of a New Years resolution is strange - unless it is seen as a day as any other day.

That's why I asked about how Islam views the 'concept of making a resolution to improve oneself' (in general terms), rather than about New Year's Day resolutions ...

Muhaba
01-01-2013, 04:57 PM
i've resolved to do things, improve things, etc but not necessarily for New year. I think we generally make new year resolutions when we read about new year resolutions some where, like now. i had even forgotten about it until i saw this thread.

actually making new years resolutions aree not bad IMO if you can stick to them. you look on the past year and consider things you want to improve or change and decide to do them during the followin year. new year's resolution don't have to be done on Dec. 31 but may be done on one's birthday or at the start of the school year ("this school year, i will study harder, etc"), or at the end of the islamic year or at the start of Ramadan (for example, "i resolve to be a better Muslim, pray more, etc starting this Ramadan") etc.

They can also be short term. such as a resolution for the summer vacation (during this summer vacation, i'm going to work on my time management so i don't waste so much time doing nothing,etc).

'Abd-al Latif
01-01-2013, 05:39 PM
I agree that the idea of a New Years resolution is strange - unless it is seen as a day as any other day.

That's why I asked about how Islam views the 'concept of making a resolution to improve oneself' (in general terms), rather than about New Year's Day resolutions ...
A Muslim generally is encouraged to make a resolve in many cases. A condition of repentance is to "resolve" never to go back to it again; and even if one still falls into it, one needs to renew that resolve and continue trying not to fall into it. A Muslim is also encouraged to take account of himself/herself and resolve to become a better person. There are many such instances where a Muslim is required to resolve and the purpose is to generally do better.

Huzzy_786
01-01-2013, 05:45 PM
Woow, I didnt know that :) Jazak'Allah

Indian Bro
01-01-2013, 06:32 PM

Sorry, I wasn't referring to your question! I was just posting my view on New Years resolutions. But on what you are asking 'concept of making a resolution to improve oneself', I would say this is something every true believer strives for. Everyone wants to get closer to God and strengthen their faiths and this can only take place if one starts to take more steps to avoid bad deeds and starts to perform more good deeds, which is what Islam teaches us. I think it would be fair to say that every night before we sleep we all make a resolution that "tomorrow I will be a better Muslim/Christian/Hindu/etc". I hope this answers your question.

~Zaria~
01-01-2013, 07:02 PM
Assalamu-alaikum,

When we make a 'resolution' to change something in our lives, that is linked to a specific day/ date, we may often notice that they dont seem last.

Any type of change in behaviour needs to stem primarily from a change within the heart.

The people who have made the most drastic changes in their lives (refering to positive change), will often mention that it took a 'life-changing' event, a personal 'wake-up call'......something that caused a profound emotional upheaval.
It may be the death of a loved one, the diagnosis of a serious illness, an almost fatal accident, a divorce.......whatever it may be - the person most likely felt that he was knocked to the ground/ bowled over by this sudden change in life events.

An event that only Allah (subhanawataála) knew was needed, to make that specific person change course.

Unfortunately, sometimes we may notice that even these life-altering events do not jolt a person into self-realisation.

This is probably the saddest state to be in - to face immense tribulation in ones life, and all that one gets out of it, is the temporary discomfort, related to this world.

I think the best position to be in, is when one does not even need a major life event to ignite a change in behaviour.
This is the person who wants to change as SOON AS he/ she realises that they are transgressing the commands of Allah (subhanawataála) - and immediately, without any second thought about the matter, they are able to give up the condemned habit.

If we think of the times of the sahaba (ra), then we will realise that this is how seriously they took the commands of Allah.
e.g. as soon as the revelation prohibiting alcohol was revealed, the streets flowed from all the alcohol that they willingly discarded.

There was no specific day/ time attached to giving up their habit - it was immediate.

All it took was the desire to be in complete submission to their Creator.

When He commands, then they obeyed.
As simple as this.

If only we lived our lives in this manner, then there would be no need for 'resolutions' as described nowadays.

Our ONLY resolution would be to live our lives, knowing that DEATH is coming, that Allah is displeased by our habits - that we HAVE to return to Him.....and then, how will we face the One who gave us life itself?

:wa:

specs
01-01-2013, 08:14 PM
Why wait for the new year to make a change or have a resolution? I just don't get why people do that.

Qurratul Ayn
01-01-2013, 09:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by specs
Why wait for the new year to make a change or have a resolution?
Hear, hear!

I'm in complete agreement

glo
01-02-2013, 06:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by specs
Why wait for the new year to make a change or have a resolution? I just don't get why people do that.
I agree.

Perhaps it's simply procrastination? :D

I find that some things I tried to change so many times ... and only succeeded when the time was right. So waiting for a certain point in time makes no sense. We need to keep trying ALL THE TIME!

ba51th
01-04-2013, 12:21 PM
I hope I die soon...

Iceee
01-05-2013, 06:40 AM
I agree.

Perhaps it's simply procrastination? :D

I find that some things I tried to change so many times ... and only succeeded when the time was right. So waiting for a certain point in time makes no sense. We need to keep trying ALL THE TIME!

Agreed.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!