/* */

PDA

View Full Version : i feel guilty - is my income wrong?

anonymous
01-03-2013, 01:25 AM
Asalam alaikum
I feel really guilty when I read that for dua's to be accepted that your income must be halal. After finishing uni in April 2012, mum kept telling me to get a job. During Ramadhan time I used to pray loads esp at time of opening my fast that Allah would help me and that I'd find a job, With the blessing of Allah I got a job where I was allowed to wear my jilbab (I feel so blessed cause the place I work at has a uniform).

I feel guilty that when I applied for this job I lied about my work experience (that I have done work previously- but I hadn't) I lied because it said I needed work experience in this field but wherever I wanted to apply it wanted experience was very hard to get a job that required no previous work experience in that field. The job I applied for was closed and after 2 months the same company that i had previously applied to called me asking if I was interested as they had part time jobs going - (this was during Ramdhan time). I said yes, attended the interview etc and I got the job.

Would my income be wrong/ haram because I lied? I feel so bad about it but at the same time I feel that due to me praying through Ramadhan, Allah blessed me with this job where I was able to wear my jilbab (cause I cannot step outside the house with my jilbab).

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
~Zaria~
01-03-2013, 08:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
Asalam alaikum
I feel really guilty when I read that for dua's to be accepted that your income must be halal. After finishing uni in April 2012, mum kept telling me to get a job. During Ramadhan time I used to pray loads esp at time of opening my fast that Allah would help me and that I'd find a job, With the blessing of Allah I got a job where I was allowed to wear my jilbab (I feel so blessed cause the place I work at has a uniform).

I feel guilty that when I applied for this job I lied about my work experience (that I have done work previously- but I hadn't) I lied because it said I needed work experience in this field but wherever I wanted to apply it wanted experience was very hard to get a job that required no previous work experience in that field. The job I applied for was closed and after 2 months the same company that i had previously applied to called me asking if I was interested as they had part time jobs going - (this was during Ramdhan time). I said yes, attended the interview etc and I got the job.

Would my income be wrong/ haram because I lied? I feel so bad about it but at the same time I feel that due to me praying through Ramadhan, Allah blessed me with this job where I was able to wear my jilbab (cause I cannot step outside the house with my jilbab).

Wa-alaikumsalam ukthi,

The fact that you are feeling guilty about this error in judgement is a sign of imaan - and this is insha Allah, a test from your Creator - to see how you would respond in this situation.
Would you give in to the trappings of Shaytaan and this dunya - by continuing with this deception......or would you chose the pleasure of Allah (subhanawataála) over and above everything else?

Ukthi, there is nothing more important than gaining closeness to Allah and earning His pleasure.
No matter how difficult this may seem, despite the possible worldly losses that may result - it would not matter if at the end of the day, you know that your only intention was seeking the pleasure of Allah (subhanawataála).

In cases where we transgress against Allah, then we seek repentance from Him. But in cases where we transgress against others, than it would be necessary to seek forgiveness from them, as well as from Allah.

In view of this, insha Allah, it would be better to reveal this fact to your boss.

Perhaps request to have a meeting with him/ her and then say: there has been something that has been troubling me recently and I thought that it would be important to inform you of it......and when he asks what it is, you can state that when you applied for the job, you were very desperate and in weakness, you provided incorrect employment history. Then mention that this is unlike your character......to such a point, that you cannot accept dishonesty from yourself, and hence you have chosen to reveal this information. You can also say how sorry you are for this mistake, and that you would appreciate it if he would continue to give you a chance to prove yourself in terms of skill, etc......

Or something to this effect......

Can you imagine Allah's pleasure when He sees His servant forsaking his desires - only for HIS sake? SubhanAllah.
And what greater bounties lie with Allah!

Whatever we may lose in this dunya, whilst seeking Allah, He most definitely can replace it with even better! And, what can be better than gaining Allah's love?

Remember: "Do not think about how small the sin is, but think about WHO you have disobeyed".

May Allah azza wajjal guide you towards all that is pleasing to Him, and shower you with His mercy and unlimited treasures.
Ameen

:wa:

Perseveranze
01-03-2013, 08:34 PM
Asalaamu Alaikum,

As someone said, guilt shows that you have imaan, may Allah(swt) help you preserve it.

It's going to be difficult, but the reality is that you lied. There's many hadiths in this regard, including one about deception. Scholars would advise you to do two things;

1. Sincerely repent to Allah(swt)

2. Tell them the truth.

Please read the following;

Question

I am working in a very reputable company and by the grace of Allah, I am very good at my job. But for getting this job, I lied a little in my CV which was not even necessary. Is my earnings Haram? If so, will my prayers, fasting and other Ibada be rejected?

Answer

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the World; and may His blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.

Lying is severely forbidden; it is a way of dissoluteness. It is narrated in Sahihain and other references of Hadith that the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) said:

"Truthfulness leads to righteousness, and righteousness leads to Paradise. And a man keeps on telling the truth until he becomes a truthful person. Falsehood leads to Al-Fujoor (i.e. wickedness, evil-doing), and Al-Fujoor (wickedness) leads to the (Hell) Fire, and a man may keep on telling lies till he is written before Allah, a liar" .

In addition, the resume requested by a company has many effects as far as the benefits and goals of a company are concerned. Therefore, giving wrong information in a resume, besides lying, involves cheating and deceiving too.

The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) said: "He who deceives is not of us" [ Abu Dawood and others].

Therefore, my questioner brother, you should repent towards Allah and make clear to the authorities the reality about your C.V. If they accept it: good; otherwise, there is no good in earnings through unlawful means. Also, you should ask pardon from them for what has happened.

As for your forms of worship such as prayers and other matters, if you perform them as required in Shari'a they are correct and sufficient. Whether they are accepted or not is matter related only to Allah; no one else can know.
Allah knows best.

http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/in...twaId&Id=84112

And also this - http://islamqa.info/en/ref/154060

I honestly feel really sad for you, because I know how difficult it is to get a job, especially one that allows you to conserve your Islamic identity. Your situation is tough, but you know what the right thing to do is.

Sacrifice something for Allah(swt) and you know He will replace it with something better. It may be that your employers will admire you for your honesty (because let's get real here, how many people after getting a job would "own" up that they lied in their cv?). So your employers might acknowledge this, they might also acknowledge your situation about how hard it was for you to initially get a job - and thus they may be forgiving, especially if they have no quarrels with your current quality of work.

May Allah(swt) make it easy for you and protect you sister.

ps. If I sounded harsh or rude in my reply above, then please forgive me, as that's not how I mean it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!