/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How is a sister supposed to look for a job in the UK?

anonymous
01-06-2013, 04:58 PM
I do not like the area that I live in nor the people but I have to find a job. I don't know what field I want to work in or whether I would enjoy it. I'll most probabaly be forced ino retail which I don't want to do. Do any other Muslims find it hard with the atmosphere? I went to a job interview for BHS and they said the ladies had to tie their hair up (so this means no hijab) and you have to wear tights. Luckily, I did not get the job.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Mustafa2012
01-06-2013, 07:15 PM
:ia::salamext:

Firstly I would recommend making your intention in any action to seek the pleasure of Allaah :swt1: and to use the provision in a beneficial way. This helps speed things up :ia:

Also making a lot of du'aa is important as all help starts with, continues and ends with the help of Allaah :swt1:

Seek His help and praise His Greatness and Ability using his Beautiful Names and Attributes.

Remember Him in the morning and evening with authentic du'aas like those in the booklet "Fortress of a Muslim"

Remember that He is The Provider. All help comes from Him however He has commanded us to search for our provision using the means that are commonly available to us.

Then look for companies that have employees that wear Hijaab. That is a sign that a company accepts Hijaab.

Also look for companies that cater to women and non customer facing. This way they are more likely to be ok with you wearing Hijaab.

Speak to people you already know, friends and relatives etc. Ask them if they know any companies that are looking for people and will allow wearing of Hijaab.

Also think about self employment. Can you offer a service from home using a phone, internet etc?

If not can you start a course that will help you learn from skills to be able to work from home?

If you choose self employment then make sure it is something you enjoy doing as you need discipline to be able to work for yourself.

Hope that helps.

May Allaah :swt1: make things easy for you.

glo
01-06-2013, 07:59 PM
Several retail companies I know here in the UK provide a Muslim version of the uniform (i.e hijab and long-sleeved top in the right colours).

Are you sure that BHS did not allow hijab and that 'wearing tights' did not mean women had to wear tights under their dresses or skirts?
Did you specifically ask about the requirements for Muslim women?

Re.TiReD
01-06-2013, 08:18 PM
In your situation I'd do a fast-track course to get into something I actually enjoyed and would be able to do whilst wearing Hijab and modest clothing etc

But I know I'm not you and you know best your situation so that's just a suggestion :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
anonymous
01-07-2013, 07:28 PM
No hijab and tight's has to be worn under skirt yet your legs are still revealed which is not allowed.

Fast track courses such as?

Re.TiReD
01-07-2013, 07:50 PM
Such as Levels 2 & 3 in Childcare or in anything else you prefer.

Fast-track = you can get some that last 12 weeks only.

sis muslimah
01-07-2013, 09:18 PM
the pay for the apprentice ships such as childcare is really low thoug its round 2.50 -2.90 pounds an hour

Re.TiReD
01-07-2013, 09:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sis muslimah
the pay for the apprentice ships such as childcare is really low thoug its round 2.50 -2.90 pounds an hour
I wouldn't know.

Go for a course, find a placement and when you're done insha'Allah you'll secure a job. It's worked for lots of people I know. It's worth a shot isn't, if you want to work in a halal'ish environment?? Unless the sister wants to sit and make du'aa for it instead, no disrespect to anybody but a low wage is better than no wage.

GuestFellow
01-07-2013, 11:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
I do not like the area that I live in nor the people but I have to find a job. I don't know what field I want to work in or whether I would enjoy it. I'll most probabaly be forced ino retail which I don't want to do. Do any other Muslims find it hard with the atmosphere? I went to a job interview for BHS and they said the ladies had to tie their hair up (so this means no hijab) and you have to wear tights. Luckily, I did not get the job.
:sl:

You can consider the health care field. Volunteer at a hospital, hospice or at a nursery. You will develop experience and new skills. To supplement your experience and skills, you should study for a practicable qualification like nursing or childcare. Most of these environments permit Muslim women to wear the Islamic dress code.

This is just a suggestion...

piXie
01-08-2013, 10:59 AM
How is a sister supposed to look for a job in the UK?
She isnt. Its not supposed to be her headache. :ermm:

Muhaba
01-08-2013, 01:43 PM
sue them for descriminating. (ok, that was a joke)

cottonrainbow
01-10-2013, 12:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by piXie
She isnt. Its not supposed to be her headache. :ermm:
Salaam!

DO you mean looking for a job or working in general is a headache? I'm confused :confused:

piXie
01-10-2013, 01:49 PM
Wa'alaykum salaam!

What I mean is its not the woman's responsibility to have to find or do a job and no authority has the right to make her feel as though she has to or is supposed to because the Supreme/Highest authority has said:

'Men are the protectors and maintainers of women....' IT'S THEIR JOB.

I understand in some situations the woman has to work due to a need, but it shouldn't be the norm like it is today because a woman's role is supposed to be in the home, Just wanted us to remember that. :D

cottonrainbow
01-15-2013, 04:58 AM
^^^hmmm... well, that sucks because I work all the time, even pregnant, i work. The way I see it and not making excuses for him, but My hubby is foreign, so it's more difficult for him to maintain our household without my help. I would like to stay home sometimes and not worry about bills and such, but I don't wish to lose our home because i sat down and waited for someone to do what I can do for myself.

Don't get me wrong, I like what you are saying, but it sometimes takes two incomes to have something in America, and I was raised to always have my own money and resources-- hubby or no hubby.

nature
03-03-2013, 03:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
I worked in BHS many many years ago and i never got asked to wear tights ?? I wore loose black trousers, I didnt wear hijab at the time, but its not that difficult to get a job as a muslim woman. It depends what area you live in ?? If you've got no particular area of interest in mind, i would suggest you do something short time as in an office job or even retail if you've done it before and work towards something else, that might interest you ?? Theres a lot of colleges that do evening classes maybe you'll find something that may interest you ??

Karl
03-03-2013, 11:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by piXie
Wa'alaykum salaam!

What I mean is its not the woman's responsibility to have to find or do a job and no authority has the right to make her feel as though she has to or is supposed to because the Supreme/Highest authority has said:

'Men are the protectors and maintainers of women....' IT'S THEIR JOB.

I understand in some situations the woman has to work due to a need, but it shouldn't be the norm like it is today because a woman's role is supposed to be in the home, Just wanted us to remember that. :D
Exactly, that's what husbands are for. Women should only work (for a living) if their husbands and sons are off to war.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!