/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Memorizing Mutoon

Ibn Abi Ahmed
01-06-2013, 08:02 PM
:sl:

Does anyone here have experience memorizing mutoon? Poems like Tuhfah/Jazariyyah/Shatibiyyah or actual books? Anything in particular that helps? I've realized it's very different from memorizing Qur'an. Qur'an is very easy to memorize, but memorizing others texts is a bit of a challenge, especially when the content is dry or in the case of poems, not straight forward.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Re.TiReD
01-06-2013, 08:16 PM
Wa'alaykum salam

Try to get the matn on your phone if you can, there was something I was trying to memorise but on the phone didn't work for me as the font wasn't very clear. At the start of each day, write a line of it in your own handwriting and keep it in your pocket, keep repeating it to yourself during your commute or whenever you have free time and double-check with what you have written down if need be.

Give yourself a simple target (like a line a day or whatever) and just keep at it really!

Oh and listen to audio versions if you have one I guess.

I don't know I don't have any actual advice but that's what I do/would do

Ibn Abi Ahmed
01-07-2013, 03:05 AM
Jazakallah khayr! I didn't think of writing it down - that's the Mauritanian method of memorizing the Qur'an and it's supposed to work really well. Will def try it iA.

format_quote Originally Posted by Re.TiReD
Wa'alaykum salam

Try to get the matn on your phone if you can, there was something I was trying to memorise but on the phone didn't work for me as the font wasn't very clear. At the start of each day, write a line of it in your own handwriting and keep it in your pocket, keep repeating it to yourself during your commute or whenever you have free time and double-check with what you have written down if need be.

Give yourself a simple target (like a line a day or whatever) and just keep at it really!

Oh and listen to audio versions if you have one I guess.

I don't know I don't have any actual advice but that's what I do/would do

Bint-e-Adam
01-07-2013, 10:04 AM
Yups. it's a big problem for me also to memorize a whole essay or stories etc.
So Brother Muwaahid told me this method to repeat and repeat the matan again and again.
if repeating in mind or orally don't work for u then try to write the same line again and again.
it will be helpful i guess.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muwaahid
01-07-2013, 09:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ibn Abi Ahmed
:sl:

Does anyone here have experience memorizing mutoon? Poems like Tuhfah/Jazariyyah/Shatibiyyah or actual books? Anything in particular that helps? I've realized it's very different from memorizing Qur'an. Qur'an is very easy to memorize, but memorizing others texts is a bit of a challenge, especially when the content is dry or in the case of poems, not straight forward.
Bismillahir-Rahmaanir-Raheem

As-Salaamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuhu, there are a number of ways to memorise mutoon that doesn't involve much difficulty. One way to do it is listening to the matn[singular of mutoon meaning texts] alhamdulillah the majority of the mutoon you can find on youtube just type i the name of the matn your wish to memorise. I dislike this method of memorisation as it doesnt instill in the Qaari the photographic memory of the text nor does the Qaari benefit from utilising his hands in writting the text which aids in the memorisation of the text. For example if the Qaari decides to memorise a hadeeth of a particular statement from a scholar or simple a few lines of poetry, I would grab an index card and write down a portion [it may vary based on your efforts] of the text that I wanted to memorise for that day and take it with me and bring it out whenever possible to rehearse and recite what I planned on memorising. Make sure you write the translation on the back of the card so that you know what you are saying. That way is very beneficial for you if you are on the go. Or you can go old school [not really old school but american style] by purchasing a notebook and writting in standards form [remember in grade school if you talked too much or was disruptive in class your teacher made you write standards like, "I will not speak nor interupt the other students who have come to learn." 300 times. Im not saying you have to write it 300 times but if you have a spiral notebook write down the text that you want to memorise at least 30 to 50 times, because you will be constantly seeing the text and repeating it after awhile you will have memorised the text with out much effort. The other method is simply buying the small mutoon keeping it with you and opening it up whenever possible reciting it outloud. This helps when you are on the go alot. I myself combine two of them, the standard form when I have lotsa time on my hand and it makes your penmanship a lot better as well. Index cards when im on the go and want to memorise the arabic and know the english as well because it is written on the opposite side. If I choose to commute by bus i'll carry the small mutoon and recite it over and over in different tones to make sure im understanding what im reciting. If I have to give an islamic talk or khutbah I recite infront of the mirrror over and over again. This assists in not getting the jitters or nervousness during lectures. And Allah knows best wa billahit-tawfeeq

Bint-e-Adam
01-09-2013, 08:09 AM
yups... i forgot to write here your one thing more... Brother Muwaahid told me to recite your lesson again and again standing infront of mirror. it will build up your confidence too.

Qari Basheer
08-06-2014, 08:01 AM
I use a combination of all 3 to memorise various mutoon. Audio when I'm driving, writing and rote learning at night just before retiring at night (last thing before bed). The poems play in my mind the whole night and becomes very easy to recall everything after fajr

فصيح الياسين
01-01-2015, 04:55 AM
Quran have miracle that it never forget while poems can be forgot if u not recite daily. And save ur eyes ears tongue and stomach from bad things.

فصيح الياسين
01-01-2015, 05:14 AM
From banu tameem a abeautiful verses

مهفهف كالغصن،قلت له انتسب
ما قتل المحب على المحب حرام
These are easy to learn..

Qamar Records
01-01-2015, 08:41 AM
Alhamdulilah I memorised Tuhfah and Jazariyyah and I agree with the above. You should listen to it in advance to become familiar with the wording. I listened to Saad al-Ghamdi for both. Also, having an understanding of the key terminologies helps. I remember memorising 10-12 lines a day and then spent a week or so for each solidifying my memorisation.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!