/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Project help!

*charisma*
01-06-2013, 08:05 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

I'm starting a website that transcribes islamic lectures in different languages. My initial plan is to make it accessible for deaf people around the world who don't have the opportunity to hear the great lectures we hear.

The problem is I don't know how I would begin making a website like that. I don't have any knowledge in website making.

So far I have a few people who are willing to help me with translating the transcriptions into Italian, German, Spanish, Danish, and Romanian.

Ultimately, I think it won't even be limited to deaf people but that is my initial plan.

I also need some assistance in finding good short lectures that will be easy to transcribe for the time being, like maybe around 2 minutes long.

If there's anyone who can help me organize this, please let me know! I want to start this ASAP.

Jazakum Allahu Khair

fi aman Allah
W'salaam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Re.TiReD
01-06-2013, 08:08 PM
Wa'alaykum salam

Masha'Allah fantastic idea, I started transcribing lectures a while back alhamdulillah, 30 min lectures which took hours but 2 min ones sound perfect, I'm thinking Nouman Ali Khan ones would be good, even though they're slightly longer than 2 mins?

If you need website help, design or technical help, PM me!

Re.TiReD
01-06-2013, 08:12 PM
If you search on YouTube: Nouman Ali Khan Short Advices

Most of them are under 10mins long.

Shaykha
01-06-2013, 08:27 PM
Wa 'Alaykumus Salaam Wa Rahmatullaahi Wa Barakaatuh,

Your Idea Sounds Great Maa Shaa Allah! May Allah Make It Easy For You And Most Importantly May He Accept Your Efforts And Reward You In Abundance!
Shaykh Hasan Ali's Lectures Are Very Good Indeed! The Actual Lectures Are Very Long But There Are Some Short Videos On Youtube That Are Less That 10Mins- They Short Clips From His Full Lecture. Hopefully, In Shaa Allah That Should Help!

Wassalaam..

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Iceee
01-06-2013, 09:13 PM
Salaam, may Allah help you easily achieve your goals.

I was thinking of this; why not upload the lecture videos on YouTube (free of charge). That way it is free, accessible, and you have YouTube up-loader to help you translate and make a good edited video. Also, a lot of people go on Youtube for videos like these rather than a site where you can get a virus.

Your choice. Inshallah you try your best and ja'zakullah for doing this.

Re.TiReD
01-06-2013, 09:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iceee

I was thinking of this; why not upload the lecture videos on YouTube (free of charge). That way it is free, accessible, and you have YouTube up-loader to help you translate and make a good edited video. Also, a lot of people go on Youtube for videos like these rather than a site where you can get a virus.

Or adding on to that, you could make videos with subtitles? So you have a bit of visual too.

Iceee
01-06-2013, 09:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Re.TiReD
Or adding on to that, you could make videos with subtitles? So you have a bit of visual too.
That is what I meant... ^^^ Idea stealer!

Re.TiReD
01-06-2013, 09:23 PM
That is what I meant... ^^^ Idea stealer!
I think I just said what you meant in a simpler way. Bro.

Iceee
01-06-2013, 09:27 PM
I think I just said what you meant in a simpler way. Bro.
Salaam,

I was joking. The poster wanted details on how to make a video, gotta give a complicated answer :)
In the end, they know how to correctly do it.

Still my idea!

abcdcool2012
01-08-2013, 03:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Assalamu Alaikum

I'm starting a website that transcribes islamic lectures in different languages. My initial plan is to make it accessible for deaf people around the world who don't have the opportunity to hear the great lectures we hear.

The problem is I don't know how I would begin making a website like that. I don't have any knowledge in website making.

So far I have a few people who are willing to help me with translating the transcriptions into Italian, German, Spanish, Danish, and Romanian.

Ultimately, I think it won't even be limited to deaf people but that is my initial plan.

I also need some assistance in finding good short lectures that will be easy to transcribe for the time being, like maybe around 2 minutes long.

If there's anyone who can help me organize this, please let me know! I want to start this ASAP.

Jazakum Allahu Khair

fi aman Allah
W'salaam
masha allah sister i would love to help you..i know HTML,VBScript,JavaScript,DHTML etc so of you need any help please let me know i would love to help as i said earlier.....

*charisma*
01-10-2013, 01:39 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

Wa'alaykum salam

Masha'Allah fantastic idea, I started transcribing lectures a while back alhamdulillah, 30 min lectures which took hours but 2 min ones sound perfect, I'm thinking Nouman Ali Khan ones would be good, even though they're slightly longer than 2 mins?

If you need website help, design or technical help, PM me!
If you search on YouTube: Nouman Ali Khan Short Advices

Most of them are under 10mins long.
Jazaki allahu khair for your help!! would you happen to have those lectures still?? Maybe we can add them later on inshallah :D
and subhanallah Br. Nouman Ali khan is exactly who I had in mind. I actually just finished transcribing one video of his that's a little over 3 minutes long, but man it takes a while, lots of hard work!!

format_quote Originally Posted by Shaykha
Wa 'Alaykumus Salaam Wa Rahmatullaahi Wa Barakaatuh,

Your Idea Sounds Great Maa Shaa Allah! May Allah Make It Easy For You And Most Importantly May He Accept Your Efforts And Reward You In Abundance!
Shaykh Hasan Ali's Lectures Are Very Good Indeed! The Actual Lectures Are Very Long But There Are Some Short Videos On Youtube That Are Less That 10Mins- They Short Clips From His Full Lecture. Hopefully, In Shaa Allah That Should Help!

Wassalaam..
Ameen to your dua, and may allah grant you the same if not better ameen!! Inshallah I will look him up (: jazaki allahu khair for the suggestion!!

Ameen! I was thinking of doing subtitles on vids, which is probably easier, but at the same time, I want to have a website too so that it'll be easier to organize different sections of each language. So I'll probably be doing both.

format_quote Originally Posted by abcdcool2012

masha allah sister i would love to help you..i know HTML,VBScript,JavaScript,DHTML etc so of you need any help please let me know i would love to help as i said earlier.....
jazak allahu khair!! yes any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm still thinking about the layout of the way I'd want the website to be and everything. Inshallah as I get more videos transcribed and translated, I will be ready to start posting them up on a site.

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

Urban Turban
01-10-2013, 12:22 PM
The ones on the 'inkofscholars' channel are really good - why not ask them for their suggestions on how to go about it...

Innocent Soul
01-10-2013, 06:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Maybe I can help in adding subtitles. If there is anything easy that I can do then inshallah I will do it. I can translate videos of Urdu, English, Hindi. You can PM me and send any lecture and I will try on it and show it to you then you can decide whether I am eligible or not. :hiding:

I think some members are ready you can start giving us the work because it may take a lot of time to make the site and organize everything till then we can start our work. :)

Sister I think you can also make use of kinetic typography like this video has
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=dj-ED...EDO3UgA4&gl=GB

I don't have much knowledge about it but I think it Will make the video look interesting. Maybe it requires much efforts.

Eric H
01-10-2013, 08:09 PM
Greetings and peace be with you *charisma*; I am pleased to see all the advice and offers of help so far, but just a few more thoughts for you.

If a deaf person uses a hearing aid and is able to hear, then essentially he is not deaf. I guess deaf people come with all shades of abilities, I had the privilege to know a gentleman who was both profoundly deaf and mute from birth. Often this leads to some form of learning disability because he does not know what an a,b or c sounds like, words had little meaning for him, but he could read some words.

He had gone his whole life without using words, when we went to Germany on holiday he was able to get things without using language, I, on the other hand felt handicapped because I did not know any German.

I don’t understand how he came to know about God and going to church, but he did without being able to hear, or read the meaning in any of the prayer books. Despite his disabilty he did seem to know the meaning of prayer, and this became very apparent for a couple of months when he knew he was dying. The church he went to did not have any special facilities for deaf people.

I almost think that if you were appealing to deaf people you might study the old silent movies and how they conveyed a message, granted they did insert small amounts of text but they did not use subtitles. My thoughts would be to concentrate on deaf people who are brought up in an English speaking country, I am guessing there must be a few million.

I should imagine the concept of God is very difficult to put across to someone who cannot hear words, and does not know what the words sound like. You might try and find a few deaf people to test out your work and their ability to understand what you have conveyed.

Wishing you every success with this venture.

Eric

*charisma*
01-10-2013, 08:35 PM
Greetings and peace to you (:

format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H
Greetings and peace be with you *charisma*; I am pleased to see all the advice and offers of help so far, but just a few more thoughts for you.

If a deaf person uses a hearing aid and is able to hear, then essentially he is not deaf. I guess deaf people come with all shades of abilities, I had the privilege to know a gentleman who was both profoundly deaf and mute from birth. Often this leads to some form of learning disability because he does not know what an a,b or c sounds like, words had little meaning for him, but he could read some words.

He had gone his whole life without using words, when we went to Germany on holiday he was able to get things without using language, I, on the other hand felt handicapped because I did not know any German.

I don’t understand how he came to know about God and going to church, but he did without being able to hear, or read the meaning in any of the prayer books. Despite his disabilty he did seem to know the meaning of prayer, and this became very apparent for a couple of months when he knew he was dying. The church he went to did not have any special facilities for deaf people.

I almost think that if you were appealing to deaf people you might study the old silent movies and how they conveyed a message, granted they did insert small amounts of text but they did not use subtitles. My thoughts would be to concentrate on deaf people who are brought up in an English speaking country, I am guessing there must be a few million.

I should imagine the concept of God is very difficult to put across to someone who cannot hear words, and does not know what the words sound like. You might try and find a few deaf people to test out your work and their ability to understand what you have conveyed.

Wishing you every success with this venture.

Eric
Thank you for your post! I guess I will have to do more research about this. You really brought up a great point that I had not taken into consideration because due to my own ignorance I just assumed that even though deaf people cannot hear, they would still be able to communicate in some kind of a sign language, and at least learn how to write and read, but like you said, I'm sure there is a whole spectrum of deaf people. I will look more into this. I do not know many deaf people unfortunately :/ but inshallah I will read more about the relationship between deafness and communication.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!