/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Halaal meat vs kosher meat

Jslayton
01-06-2013, 11:07 PM
My question is, is kosher meat (identified by circle with k in it on package) halaal to eat ? How does one make sure the meat or other foods that you are buying from the store are halaal?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
crimsontide06
01-06-2013, 11:19 PM
I see I was wrong so i erased my comment

islamica
01-07-2013, 12:20 AM
Why Kosher is not Halal

Many people wrongly assume that Halal and Kosher are one and the same. If a product is Kosher certified, it does not mean the product is Halal. The Kosher process differs from what is allowable by the Islamic Shariah. For example, there are Kosher wines and alcohol that Muslims are not permitted to consume. Also, within Kosher there are provisions for “transformation” (Istikhala) meaning that the item is no longer what it once was. For example, pork bone that is processed into gelatin. Something Haram cannot become Halal even though Halal can become Haram.

Another example of the difference between Halal and Kosher is the slaughter process. For Halal meat and poultry processing, the Muslim slaughterman is required to acknowledge God's Creation and to thank God for providing sustenance by reciting a prayer before each and every slaughter with the statement, “In the name of God – God is the Greatest - Bismillahi Allahu Akbar.”

The Shochet, or Jewish slaughterman does not and is not, required to invoke God's name on each animal before each slaughter.

In Halal slaughtering, the entire carcass is utilized. With Kosher slaughtering, only the front fore quarter of the beef carcass is utilized. Within the meat industry, some companies and distributors attempt to claim to sell Kosher hind quarters as Halal beef. The Kosher hind quarters cannot be considered Halal as the Shochet does not adhere to Islamic Law and Halal guidelines and does not pronounce the name of God before each slaughter.

Within Islam, Kosher slaughtering and handling is a respected process. It is important for consumers and food processers to understand the guidelines and differences between Halal and Kosher slaughter. To comply with Islamic guidelines invoking God's name before each slaughter is absolutely essential. The differences between Halal and Kosher slaughter rites must be clear so that consumers are not misled.

http://www.isaiowa.org/content/Halal...not-Halal.aspx

see also,

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...ID=427&CATE=29

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!