/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Saudi Arabia's king appoints women to Shura Council

IbnAbdulHakim
01-12-2013, 02:15 PM
Saudi Arabia's king appoints women to Shura Council

There will be special seating allocated for women inside the Shura Council building
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories
Sri Lankan maid beheaded in Saudi
Women and work in Saudi Arabia
Saudi women 'monitored by SMS'
Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah has appointed 30 women to the previously all-male consultative Shura Council.

Two decrees reconstituted the council, which advises the government on new legislation, for a new four-year term - and stated that women should always hold at least a fifth of its 150 seats.

The king took the decisions following consultations with religious leaders.

The council has had female "advisers", but women still have little role in public life in the conservative state.

They are forbidden from driving, are currently excluded from holding high political office, and will get the vote for the first time in 2014. They are also unable to travel without permission from a male guardian and may not mix with unrelated men.

King Abdullah first announced that he was planning to name women to the Shura Council in 2011, when he also said they would be allowed to vote and stand as candidates in the 2015 municipal elections.

One of the royal decrees published on Friday by the official Saudi Press Agency (SPA) amended an article in the Shura Council's statute to guarantee women representation on the body, while the other named the 150 members, among them 30 women.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-20986428

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
GuestFellow
01-13-2013, 10:21 AM
Lovely cosmetic changes.

IbnAbdulHakim
01-13-2013, 02:30 PM
I cant seem to find articles of islamic scholars of saudi speaking out against this.

I am sure that they are though

Networks
01-13-2013, 02:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
I cant seem to find articles of islamic scholars of saudi speaking out against this.

Yes, but if they are going to oppose his policies all the time, how he would let them speak?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ali_008
01-13-2013, 03:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim

Why would they oppose it?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!