/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Just a few basic questions, please read.

Iceee
01-15-2013, 11:00 PM
Salaam.

With the help of Allah (subhannahuwatallah), I got myself a volunteer position at a local elementary school before heading off to University Inshallah to become a teacher this September. I helped a grade six classroom (Teacher and students) with learning styles and gave them advice and I basically helped them in every subject; Math, Science, Gym, Social Studies etc. Also went infront of the class and taught lessons (you should see how nervous I got lol imsad)

I started doing this job at the beginning of September and I am ending, this Thursday Inshallah.
I helped them from 12:35pm to 4:00pm from Tuesdays-Fridays.
The students are all 11 years old.
85% of the classroom is Muslim (Majority Sunni...just a guess.)
I didn't get paid for doing this.

The students were planning on holding a surprise party for me this Thursday, my final day. (Secret)

Questions:
1. The party will have NO MUSIC as most students are also Muslim like me. Am I allowed to attend the party even if adults (other teachers) are there?

2. I told the students not to bring any gifts or such for me because it makes me sad when they give that to me. Would it be haram to take these gifts even though I pray that no students bring me gifts?

3. Some of the students will want a handshake or props (hitting fists really nicely) from me, isn't that haram with the opposite gender?
I'm also planning on giving the teacher a certificate for allowing me to give me this opportunity to help her. If she wants to shake my hand, what should I do? She is in her early 40's, single. I'm unmarried (18 y/o)

Salaam.
I know these questions may sound dumb or whatever, but I need your guidance please.
Ja'Zakullah for answering and/or for reading.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Iceee
01-16-2013, 01:16 PM
Thank you for accepting to post this.

Ali_008
01-16-2013, 02:06 PM
:wasalamex

You're way overthinking the situation.

1. You can attend that party, and even if there is music, you can turn it off and say that you were having difficulty in having conversations with others due to it.

2. Exchanging gifts is rather encouraged. Why would you think it is haraam? They are gifts - a mark of love/respect, not a compensation for some under the table dealings.

3. You said the students are 11 years old. Most of them may not have reached puberty. No problem in shaking hands with students.
Giving the teacher the gratefulness certificate. Ummm, here's what I'd do. I'd give her the certificate, and instantly turn to the crowd to join in the clapping. She obviously won't be able to force to shake her hand there. Share you experience about how you got the job then ask her to say something. Do it all in quick succession, you'll easily escape the handshakes and all.

Muslim Woman
01-16-2013, 05:11 PM
:wa:

avoid shake hands with opposite gender . some girls reaches at puberty at 11 . Even if they don't , better avoiding physical touch .

Same with the teacher , avoid close physical contact as satan may try to provoke u and her .

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Iceee
01-16-2013, 09:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali_008
:wasalamex

You're way overthinking the situation.

1. You can attend that party, and even if there is music, you can turn it off and say that you were having difficulty in having conversations with others due to it.

2. Exchanging gifts is rather encouraged. Why would you think it is haraam? They are gifts - a mark of love/respect, not a compensation for some under the table dealings.

3. You said the students are 11 years old. Most of them may not have reached puberty. No problem in shaking hands with students.
Giving the teacher the gratefulness certificate. Ummm, here's what I'd do. I'd give her the certificate, and instantly turn to the crowd to join in the clapping. She obviously won't be able to force to shake her hand there. Share you experience about how you got the job then ask her to say something. Do it all in quick succession, you'll easily escape the handshakes and all.
Salaam.

Ja'Zakullah for your answer.. I think I am over-thinking this. But basic rules I don't know about and most students are Muslim also so I don't want to make small mistakes.

Iceee
01-16-2013, 09:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
:wa:

avoid shake hands with opposite gender . some girls reaches at puberty at 11 . Even if they don't , better avoiding physical touch .

Same with the teacher , avoid close physical contact as satan may try to provoke u and her .
Salaam.
I will try my best to avoid this Inshallah.
The teacher and I are just friends, she's married, and I am just doing my job.
But like you said, I shall try my best to avoid hand-shakes with girls.
Is props allowed? Hitting fists really softly.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!