/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Calling a respected aged man as peer sahib

Bint-e-Adam
01-16-2013, 08:54 AM
Assalam o Alaikum
I dont like to call a repected aged man as peer sahhib.
as in Islam there is only one Peer and Rahnuma(Guider) who is Our Beloved Prophet Muhammad Salla Allah alaih wassalam.
But what if i call any repected man who gives guidance and instructions of Islam as Peer sahib. when you are not taking him in your heart as peer?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
01-19-2013, 03:45 PM
Wa'alaikum salam.

I don't speak Urdu, but if I'm not wrong, "Peer" literally means "old man" like "Shaykh" in Arabic, or "Kyai" in Indonesian.

Abdul Fattah
01-20-2013, 11:25 AM
Oh this is confusing, because in english "peer" means somebody with the same status that you have.

Woodrow
01-20-2013, 11:38 AM
This is most likely only an Issue with our Urdu speaking members.

However as an old man, I would be embarrassed at being called peer by an Urdu speaker as it is a title I am not worthy of in the context of Urdu. Yet, I would be pleased at being considered a peer by an English speaker.

My knowledge of Urdu is very limited. I do understand in it's basic meaning peer carries the meaning of "old man" but the connotation it carries places a person on an equal basis with Muhammad(PBUH) which I feel is demeaning the Prophet(PBUH). Just my opinion astagfirullah

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ardianto
01-20-2013, 01:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
This is most likely only an Issue with our Urdu speaking members.

However as an old man, I would be embarrassed at being called peer by an Urdu speaker as it is a title I am not worthy of in the context of Urdu. Yet, I would be pleased at being considered a peer by an English speaker.

My knowledge of Urdu is very limited. I do understand in it's basic meaning peer carries the meaning of "old man" but the connotation it carries places a person on an equal basis with Muhammad(PBUH) which I feel is demeaning the Prophet(PBUH). Just my opinion astagfirullah
Assalamu'alaikum, uncle.

Not every old man can be called "peer" or "shaykh". Only the "old man of the community" who can be called like this although sometime this "old man" is young enough.

If we notice, in certain communities there are persons who respected by the community and always give advice and guidance for the people of the community. This is the "old man of the community", who not always hold position as the community leader.

"Peer Sahib" is title given by Pakistani people to local Sufi ulama (maybe not always Sufi). "Sahib" itself means "master". It's originally from Arabic. Actually, the term "Sahib" and not "Peer" which has conotation to Rasulullah (saw). Maybe you ever heard people call Rasulullah (saw) as "Sahibul Qur'ana" (master of Qur'an),

But now maybe the term "Sahib' has been 'demeaned'. From what I've seen (in the web) now it's common for Pakistani to call "Sahib" to anyone. Not only to ulama, but Pakistani motorcycle riders who doing crazy on the streets are called "Sahib" too by their fans.

ardianto
01-20-2013, 01:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Fattah
Oh this is confusing, because in english "peer" means somebody with the same status that you have.
"Peer" in Urdu is different than "peer" in English, Abdul Fattah Bhai. :)

فصيح الياسين
02-05-2015, 04:27 AM
Not for old man. But for masaheik of sufism.. called. I am young adult but my friend call me peer. Or sheikh sahib As respect just

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!