/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is being a godparent allowed or not?

Qurratul Ayn
01-18-2013, 06:50 PM
:salamext:

Peace be upon you all

A very good Christian friend of mine is going to have a child and she has asked me if I would like to be the godmother of her child. I replied to her that I do not know as I don't know if it is allowed in Islam or not allowed and told her I will come back to her with an answer.

So is being a godparent allowed or not?

Now y'all may think the answer is obvious and simples but to me it isn't. Your advice and help will be gladly appreciated

Please move the thread if it is not in the correct section

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd-al Latif
01-18-2013, 07:01 PM

A godparent is a person who attends the baptism of a baby, assists in his or her cultivation as a Christian and looks after the child throughout his or her life as a Christian. This is to ensure that he or she implements his or her religious duties as a Christian. This is forbidden for a Muslim.

Tyrion
01-18-2013, 07:18 PM
According to wiki, "A godparent, in many denominations of Christianity, is someone who sponsors a child's baptism. Today, the word godparent might not have explicitly religious overtones. The modern view of a godparent tends to be an individual chosen by the parents to take an interest in the child's upbringing and personal development.[1] A male godparent is a godfather, and a female godparent is a godmother. The child is a godchild (godson, goddaughter)."

I'm assuming your friend knows you're Muslim, so it's unlikely that they intend for you to be a godmother in the Christian sense. They seem to be using the more modern/common definition, which doesn't seem to be an issue. You'll just be like the child's aunt.

Qurratul Ayn
01-18-2013, 07:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif
A godparent is a person who attends the baptism of a baby, assists in his or her cultivation as a Christian and looks after the child throughout his or her life as a Christian. This is to ensure that he or she implements his or her religious duties as a Christian. This is forbidden for a Muslim.
OK

format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion
I'm assuming your friend knows you're Muslim
Now why would you assume such a thing? Of course she knows I'm Muslim, I wouldn't lie to or deceive anybody about who I am. Oh dear.

They seem to be using the more modern/common definition, which doesn't seem to be an issue. You'll just be like the child's aunt.
I thought that too, but then the word godmother, I don't like. It makes me feel uncomfortable. It's one of those words.

:jz: for y'all help. Appreciate the posts

I've decided to decline this "honour" as some in this world see it as, but I will be there for my friend and her child. I'll be an aunt. A pretty cool one at that, (I think so)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
'Abd-al Latif
01-18-2013, 08:11 PM
According to wiki, "A godparent, in many denominations of Christianity, is someone who sponsors a child's baptism. Today, the word godparent might not have explicitly religious overtones. The modern view of a godparent tends to be an individual chosen by the parents to take an interest in the child's upbringing and personal development.[1] A male godparent is a godfather, and a female godparent is a godmother. The child is a godchild (godson, goddaughter)."

I'm assuming your friend knows you're Muslim, so it's unlikely that they intend for you to be a godmother in the Christian sense. They seem to be using the more modern/common definition, which doesn't seem to be an issue. You'll just be like the child's aunt.
Even if the meaning is taken in the modern sense then the practice of the original meaning will always be praised due to its roots.

It may also need to be clarified with the parent what he/she meant by being a godparent. If it is in the original meaning then that's prohibited and if it's in the modern meaning then origins of a godparent remain the same and would therefore make no difference in the ruling.

sister herb
01-18-2013, 09:16 PM
Years ago one my old friend asked me same as to be the godmother to hers the first child. I wasn´t said shahada at that time but was looking for islam and refused to be like it.

It would meant I should promise to teach the child how to be the Christian and that was impossible as I was interesting to become a muslim.

You better answer no to your friend and also explain why you can´t.

Qurratul Ayn
01-18-2013, 09:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
You better answer no to your friend and also explain why you can´t.
If you read the second post I posted, dear sister, you would have read that is what I have already agreed upon doing.

Anyhoo, :jz: for your input

sister herb
01-18-2013, 09:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Qurratul Ayn

If you read the second post I posted, dear sister, you would have read that is what I have already agreed upon doing.

Anyhoo, :jz: for your input
Salam alaykum

Yes I read it. My refusing cut relationship to my old friend for years, actually for the life - hopely same doesn´t happen to you.

Qurratul Ayn
01-18-2013, 11:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
My refusing cut relationship to my old friend for years, actually for the life - hopely same doesn´t happen to you.
I have a feeling my friend won't cut me off! We are very close, bffffffffff's an' all that.

She knows I am a Muslim, she asks me questions about Islam and what we practise. And she said herself that she doesn't mind if I can't, but I responded to her saying I want to find out before I make this life-affecting decision. Of the child's, not mine.

:jz: for the heads up, though :D

ardianto
01-19-2013, 12:46 AM
:sl:

Honestly, before I visit this thread I thought "Godfather" and also "Godmother" are just terms in mafia world, like commonly used by medias in my place to call mafia boss.

And frankly, when I read thread tittle in homepage, my mind said "Cool, people will call me Don Ardianto".

Qurratul Ayn
01-19-2013, 11:03 AM
^ My dear, beloved Brother ardianto, you're a legend

Masha'Allaah

ardianto
01-19-2013, 12:15 PM
Okay, okay. After I visited this thread I understand what Godfather is. In my language it's called ayah baptis (baptism father). Even Christians in my place use this term too. We cannot translate Godfather into ayah Tuhan because its meaning will turn into "God's father" or "father of God".

:)

Muhammad
01-19-2013, 12:29 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Qurratul Ayn
I've decided to decline this "honour" as some in this world see it as, but I will be there for my friend and her child. I'll be an aunt. A pretty cool one at that, (I think so)
Perhaps this is the key thing your friend wants and needs - that you will be there for her child. So even though you won't be the godmother, it will be good to let her know that you are still willing to do your best to look out for the child. And hopefully she will be be just as happy to hear this and will appreciate it.

Qurratul Ayn
01-19-2013, 12:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad
And hopefully she will be be just as happy to hear this and will appreciate it.
:ia:

:jz: for your input, dear brother

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!