PDA

View Full Version : Learning about Islam

lynn4now
01-26-2013, 05:28 AM
Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh,

I don't know if this goes here but if it doesn't just move it. I find myself stumbling over the language barrier. I have great books "Ta'leemul Haq","The Teachings of Islam" by Ashraf Ali Thanvi no to mention a few "What is Islam" booklets but I find myself running into the same issue... language? spurring questions and Google searches like "Is the Kalimah same as Shahadah? or "What is the difference between "Alayhis Salaam",Alay-Himus-Salaam and Sallallahu-Alaihi-wa-Sallam and why do we say them? and some of the transliteration is horrid. At times I feel I am swimming in a vast ocean and sometimes the wave overcomes me and other me feet touch the shoreline. I'm not trying to read for memory but for understanding so a take little at a time..Im still in the first chapter of the "Ta'leemul Haq" and I can only answer questions 1-8 out of 27...I don't know what to do to make it stick, I think I'm going to take the Arabic class at the Masjid as soon as i find one I don't feel Like he outsider when I attend prayer and Jumah and read my "What is Islam" booklets at least three more times or maybe I'm starting in the wrong place I feel like I need the "You Are Here" book of Islam.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muslim Woman
01-26-2013, 04:25 PM
:wa:

sis , be slow and steady in learning . Don't try to learn many things at a same times . U may become tired .

May Allah increases u & us in faith and knowledge.

sameer123
01-27-2013, 07:03 AM
wa alaikumussalaam wa rahmatullah wa barakaatuh.
I know a nice Dictionary of Islamic Terms. It can be downloaded from here:
www[dot]archive[dot]org/download/waq8838/8838.pdf
Or you can buy it from here:
www[dot]alhudaonlinebooks[dot]com/dictionary-of-islamic-terms-p-591.html

Urban Turban
01-27-2013, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by lynn4now
Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh,

I don't know if this goes here but if it doesn't just move it. I find myself stumbling over the language barrier. I have great books "Ta'leemul Haq","The Teachings of Islam" by Ashraf Ali Thanvi no to mention a few "What is Islam" booklets but I find myself running into the same issue... language? spurring questions and Google searches like "Is the Kalimah same as Shahadah? or "What is the difference between "Alayhis Salaam",Alay-Himus-Salaam and Sallallahu-Alaihi-wa-Sallam and why do we say them? and some of the transliteration is horrid. At times I feel I am swimming in a vast ocean and sometimes the wave overcomes me and other me feet touch the shoreline. I'm not trying to read for memory but for understanding so a take little at a time..Im still in the first chapter of the "Ta'leemul Haq" and I can only answer questions 1-8 out of 27...I don't know what to do to make it stick, I think I'm going to take the Arabic class at the Masjid as soon as i find one I don't feel Like he outsider when I attend prayer and Jumah and read my "What is Islam" booklets at least three more times or maybe I'm starting in the wrong place I feel like I need the "You Are Here" book of Islam.
:wa: Sis,

You've set your religion as 'other' - are you trying to learn about Islam? Are you Muslim?
Sorry as I couldn't understand your post, so.

I give this advice all the time, if you are a revert, don't get into in-depth Islam, rather connect with a Scholar and study under his / her tutelage. Islamic teachings are vast, vast, very vast, please don't burden yourself. General advice.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
HeartHijab.com | Hijab Sale | Pound Shop | UK Wholesale Certified Face Masks, Hand Sanitiser & PPE

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!