/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Watched Life Of Pi?

Hulk
01-30-2013, 05:45 PM
I was wondering if anyone watched this movie and what was your takeaway from it?

To anyone who might be wondering it's basically a movie about a man telling his story to another man. Supposedly, this story will make this other man believe in God.

I am curious as to how others perceive this movie so if you did watch it please do share however little you can.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Qurratul Ayn
01-30-2013, 10:05 PM
:salamext:

I saw it with my husband. He has read the book, he says it's about a spiritual journey and also said what you've written. I just think it's mumbo-jumbo. It's the same with the Alchemist, similar type of story, I never understand how people can be affected by these books and realise something profound in their life or of their life. Truly amazes me.

I thought it was a good film. Richard Parker is amazing, such a cool tiger

That's my little input

Hulk
01-30-2013, 11:54 PM
wa alaykumsalam wrwb

Thank you for sharing your input sis..!

Iceee
01-31-2013, 04:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Qurratul Ayn
He has read the book
That is because books are ALWAYS better than movies!! It's a well-known fact. Never expect someone else's vision from a book become even more grand than your own imagination, especially within the limitations of film-making and a mere couple of hours!!
That said, the movie was alright but if you ask you husband, I'm sure he will say that the book was better...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hulk
01-31-2013, 05:49 AM
I really don't like the "moral" of the movie lol

Qurratul Ayn
01-31-2013, 07:42 AM

Are you warning me with your bright, enlarged writing, Brother Iceee?! Lol

format_quote Originally Posted by Iceee
That said, the movie was alright but if you ask you husband, I'm sure he will say that the book was better...
Of course I know books are x1 000 000 better than movies, my Husband even recommended I read the book, but I had no time.

Never expect someone else's vision from a book become even more grand than your own imagination, especially within the limitations of film-making and a mere couple of hours!!
But of course, everyone has a different meaning and thoughts they take after reading a book, and films made from books portray one man's interpretation. I know

I don't need to ask, I know the book was better

Alpha Dude
01-31-2013, 07:47 AM
I cannot remember a single movie, if there ever was any, that I have taken a message or learnt anything profound from. Life of Pi was no different.

Indian Bro
01-31-2013, 09:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
I cannot remember a single movie, if there ever was any, that I have taken a message or learnt anything profound from. Life of Pi was no different.
As-salamu alaykum

I agree with you, brother. However I remember watching a movie called "Requiem for a dream", it was about the adverse effects of doing drugs. I know many people will just say "We already know drugs are bad for your body", but this movie went as far as to show what drugs can really do to a person mentally and physically. It's a great movie for today's youngsters to watch due to their high exposure to drugs these days especially in countries like India where drugs are easily available. It'll send chills down every teenagers spine and definitely make them think twice before choosing to take drugs.

Salam 3laikum

czgibson
01-31-2013, 09:55 AM
Greetings,

I saw Life of Pi a few weeks ago and enjoyed it very much. I read the book when it was first published, and I can't say whether I prefer the book or the film; in this case they complement each other very well. It takes a good film to measure up to a book like this one does.

I read both as a parable about storytelling. When you first see the cover image of a boy on a boat with a tiger, you're likely to assume it will be a cuddly cute fantasy-type story, but in fact it's visceral and told with brutal realism. In the end, it seems that the author could convince you of anything, since the power of the storytelling makes this highly unlikely scenario compelling and believable.

The film tells the story with great dramatic and visual flair, maintaining high tension even when there is ostensibly not much happening. It also contains some of the most striking and artistically valid uses of 3D that I've seen.

That is because books are ALWAYS better than movies!! It's a well-known fact.
This is usually true, but there are a few examples that go the other way if you ask me. The most glaring example is The Lord of the Rings trilogy. The book is quite gripping, but it takes far too long to get going and would benefit from being cut significantly by a good editor. It also includes the annoying Tom Bombadil character wisely left out of the films by Peter Jackson.

The Godfather was originally written by Mario Puzo to a deadline, and he has since said he wishes he could go back and rewrite it with more time. Despite its bestseller status, the narrative and dialogue in the book could definitely be improved. The film by Francis Ford Coppola on the other hand is almost certainly the best gangster movie ever made. The only competition it faces is from its sequel.

Peace

Independent
01-31-2013, 10:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
The film by Francis Ford Coppola on the other hand is almost certainly the best gangster movie ever made.
I'd put another Coppola film as probably the most inspired adaption ever made - Apocalypse Now, which is an adaption of Heart Of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. The film is set in 20th century Vietnam, the book in 19th century Africa, yet Coppola has captured the essence of the story despite the huge leap. (In this case the book is brilliant as well as the film.)

I'd also say that Gone With The Wind is a superb adaption of a rather average book.

Urban Turban
01-31-2013, 06:01 PM
Why are movies being discussed on an Islamic forum?

Alpha Dude
01-31-2013, 07:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Indian Bro
As-salamu alaykum

I agree with you, brother. However I remember watching a movie called "Requiem for a dream", it was about the adverse effects of doing drugs. I know many people will just say "We already know drugs are bad for your body", but this movie went as far as to show what drugs can really do to a person mentally and physically. It's a great movie for today's youngsters to watch due to their high exposure to drugs these days especially in countries like India where drugs are easily available. It'll send chills down every teenagers spine and definitely make them think twice before choosing to take drugs.

Salam 3laikum
I think my previous post, I made without thinking through fully.

On second thoughts, I do believe I have in some ways been affected by movies. I can remember one about drug dealing too. However, I think I was trying to say I've never really walked away with anything long standing. Nothing life changing or mind altering, apart from a superficial experience.

Ali_008
01-31-2013, 07:11 PM
:wasalamex

The only movie which has had any impact on my life so far, and has taught me an incredible lesson was The Dark Knight. The words were from Harvey Dent (the character) in the movie, and I quote:

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Those words are pure gold.

Hulk
01-31-2013, 10:24 PM
Thank for sharing your inputs guys but do try to refrain from going too far off topic.

I believe movies can be quite influential especially to certain people. Some movies might appear to have a good message behind it but the underlying message might be a negative one. We have to keep in mind that these movies were made by someone who might have a different worldview from ourselves.

Anyway, I didn't really like the movie as the message in my opinion was basically "Believe in God because it's more interesting." or something along those lines. Perhaps it kind of annoyed me as the storyteller was portrayed as this somewhat "wise" man who is going to give you something to think about and in the end that was all he offered.

I do understand that others may have perceived the movie differently which is why I asked, I appreciate anyone who has shared their comments and anyone else who wish to comment please feel free to do so.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
02-01-2013, 12:08 AM
I'm a huge movie/film guy and this one is on my list to watch. Haven't had a chance yet but I will probably soon. I absolutely love films, especially when good dialogue and excellent cinematography come together to present amazing stories. There's just so much that can be communicated in a single well done scene about love, emotion, self struggle, loss and gain. Christopher Nolan has an amazing way of doing this with his dark realism. Really interested to see how he influences Man of Steel - already looks good based on the trailer.

Innocent Soul
02-01-2013, 03:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Urban Turban
Why are movies being discussed on an Islamic forum?
Yeah! I thought that this thread is going to get closed soon.

I think the OP got to know others views. We can stop discussing the topic as I think we are going a bit off-topic. :)

'Abd Al-Maajid
02-01-2013, 04:38 PM
No theaters here... :(

Muhaba
02-01-2013, 04:57 PM
I didn't watch it. I rarely watch movies, like maybe 1.75 movies a year. i read books more but prefer fiction to nonfiction, although i do read some nonfiction here and there. help-your-self books are at the bottom of my list. the few that I read i found meaningless. maybe they weren't written by good writers. my favorite how-to books are on the craft of writing.

unknown12
02-01-2013, 04:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd Al-Maajid
No theaters here... :(
lol want a link to download/stream? ;p

Periwinkle18
02-01-2013, 05:20 PM
I rarely watch movies having watched this one.

This mite sound weird buh I just can't watch movies anymore wen I try to I stop n don't feel like watching anything :s n if I do watch something I feel bad afterwards

unknown12
02-01-2013, 05:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Periwinkle18
I rarely watch movies having watched this one.This mite sound weird buh I just can't watch movies anymore wen I try to I stop n don't feel like watching anything :s n if I do watch something I feel bad afterwards
I'm in the exact same boat as u, used to love movies but I found that now with all this spare time on my hand, my attention spam has decreased, 10 minutes into a movie I get bored... Even with tv series. But this is when I watch shows at home; now that i speak of it I'm to see the movie "flight" today, that's the only time I actually can pull thru watching a movie is at the cinemas sipping my icey drink made of ice coke mixed with ice fanta raspberry and also nibbling on m&ms :p oh and don't forget the popcorn lol

Musaafirah
02-01-2013, 09:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hulk
Thank for sharing your inputs guys but do try to refrain from going too far off topic.

I believe movies can be quite influential especially to certain people. Some movies might appear to have a good message behind it but the underlying message might be a negative one. We have to keep in mind that these movies were made by someone who might have a different worldview from ourselves.

Anyway, I didn't really like the movie as the message in my opinion was basically "Believe in God because it's more interesting." or something along those lines. Perhaps it kind of annoyed me as the storyteller was portrayed as this somewhat "wise" man who is going to give you something to think about and in the end that was all he offered.

I do understand that others may have perceived the movie differently which is why I asked, I appreciate anyone who has shared their comments and anyone else who wish to comment please feel free to do so.
I haven't watched the movie so I can't comment on why you feel the message is as such and probable won't as films never measure up to the way I had imagined the story to be..
Having read the book when it was first released, I thought it was amazing. I don't know if maybe it's because I was 14/15ish..but it was one book that really made me think and I like books that have a lasting impression. Having said that, I think someone above had commented on other books released at the same time such as 'The Alchemist'..That book did not have such a lasting impression as 'The life of Pi'.. Though it received the same sort of reviews when it was released..
So, try reading the book. They're always going to be different to the films.

titus
02-04-2013, 04:45 PM
I found the movie very entertaining, but only mildly thought provoking and hardly enlightening.

Basically, from what I gathered, the movie is trying to say that all religions serve the same purpose and tell the same story but in different ways. You just pick whichever one makes you feel best, much like the stories told in the movie.

Funny, though, how none of the stories answered the big question that the men at the end of the movie had. So maybe he was also saying that you can pick any religion you want but you won't really find the answers in it... who knows.

Muslimlearner
02-04-2013, 05:28 PM
I like cinema, its good for my Emaan.
I hate this movie because they used once again the cheap ''unity of religions'' trick. So Life of PI is no no. 2/10.

Urban Turban
02-04-2013, 05:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimlearner
:omg::unhappy:

Muslimlearner
02-04-2013, 05:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Urban Turban
:omg::unhappy:
If you need explenation, you may request one.
Its from the Sunnah to ask questions.
Barak-Allahu fik.

Periwinkle18
02-04-2013, 05:57 PM
Huh?? How is it good for Ur emaan??

Indian Bro
02-04-2013, 06:01 PM
As-salamu alaykum sister,

I think it's fine to watch films that serve an educational purpose such as documentaries but watching stuff like action, horror, comedy etc. is not allowed because they most of the time contain content which are not consistent with Islamic culture such as music, nudity, opposite genders mixing, etc.

And Allah (s.w.t.) knows best,

Salam 3laikum

Muslimlearner
02-04-2013, 06:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Periwinkle18
Huh?? How is it good for Ur emaan??
Its good to see what I could be If Allah didn't reward me with His noor. Its good to see the confused people and their way of dealing with the tests in this dunyah. For me its a personal way to comprehend the attribute of Mercy of Allah and be grateful.
I also draw some kind of plans how he problems could be solved from islamic point of view. This is good for my Fiqh and ijtihaad training :).

I don't take the kaafirs as examples, I'm simply grateful that I'm not one of them.
Jazzak-Allahu khayran.

Urban Turban
02-04-2013, 07:11 PM
Its good to see what I could be If Allah didn't reward me with His noor. Its good to see the confused people and their way of dealing with the tests in this dunyah. For me its a personal way to comprehend the attribute of Mercy of Allah and be grateful.
I also draw some kind of plans how he problems could be solved from islamic point of view. This is good for my Fiqh and ijtihaad training :).

I don't take the kaafirs as examples, I'm simply grateful that I'm not one of them.
Jazzak-Allahu khayran.
Sister, I'm sorry if my comment hurt but the final Prophet [peace be upon him] has advised us not just to NOT sin but to also avoid places and people which may lead one to sin, I'm sorry I don't have time now to explain this, but I'm sure you get the point.

Fiqh and ijtihaad training / understanding is to be known at the feet of the Scholars [and this is a general advise to everyone including me] and I request everyone to listen to this 3 minutes plus speech by the North American Scholar, Mufti Hussain Kamani.

Hulk
02-04-2013, 07:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hulk
pls :)

'Abd al-Baari
02-04-2013, 10:02 PM

What is the ruling on the view that the cinema is permissible?.

Praise be to Allaah.

No Muslim can doubt that the cinema that exists nowadays is a house of sin, which spreads images of that which Allaah has forbidden, pictures of women who are clothed yet naked, walking with an enticing gait. Indeed in many cases it propagates and promotes sinful sexual relationships between men and women. This is in addition to the music and songs, and the films of crimes that corrupt society. It is haraam to spread and propagate each of these things, so how about if they are combined? The point is that whatever is like that, it is undoubtedly haraam and any money that comes from it is also haraam. Whoever says that the money earned from the cinema is halaal should examine the situation of contemporary cinema, so that he may realize the error of what he is saying.

People should beware of allowing that which Allaah has forbidden. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And say not concerning that which your tongues put forth falsely: ‘This is lawful and this is forbidden,’ so as to invent lies against Allaah. Verily, those who invent lies against Allaah will never prosper.

A passing brief enjoyment (will be theirs), but they will have a painful torment”

[al-Nahl 16:116-117]

And Allaah knows best.
http://islamqa.com/en/ref/22205/

Watching movies includes looking at things that are haraam, such as seeing ‘awrahs, following immoral actions, or listening to things that are haraam such as music and obscene talk. Undoubtedly it is haraam to watch them in this case.

If the movies are free of such things, then there is nothing wrong with watching them, so long as that does not distract one from remembering Allaah or keep one from doing something that is obligatory.

No distinction is made between documentaries and other kinds of movies.

Watching movies has a bad effect on the individual and on the ummah. These include the following:

1- Provocation of desires

2- Propagation of immorality which is made attractive and easily accessible

3- Teaching and justification of crime, and making it familiar to young and old

4- Corruption of married life, by making the wife seem ugly to the husband and vice versa, by showing images of attractive girls and men

5- Spreading corrupt beliefs which are based on kaafir theories, such as the theory of evolution, or attributing the powers of creation and destruction to researchers and inventors, or propagating magic, soothsaying and claims to know the unseen, or making fun of religion and religious people, and other things which appear in movies that are shown to young and old.

6- Wasting time and draining away energy, living with illusions far removed from reality.

And there are other evil consequences.

Shaykh Ibn Jibreen (may Allaah preserve him) said: Another of the evils of looking at those beguiling images and enjoying watching them is those images which are shown in movies on videos and on the TV etc, which show images of adorned women, especially those which are broadcast from foreign countries, and those that are shown via satellite, etc.

They are a fitnah (trial, temptation), and what a fitnah. The one who looks at those images cannot be sure that he will remain uninfluenced by the image of this woman or this zaani (adulterer) or this one who is committing evil and showing him the way to do it. He may not be able to control himself and stop himself from looking for ways to fulfil his desire, if he does not have the faith to stop him looking at these images, whether they are drawings, photographs in the pages of newspapers and magazines, or they are shown in direct broadcasts or in movies and the like.

These sins and haraam things are prevalent everywhere, and they are calling people to commit immoral actions. When a woman watches these non-mahram men, she cannot be sure that her heart will not incline towards committing immoral deeds, and when a woman sees these immoral, adorned women she would be temped to imitate them because she will think that they are smarter and stronger than her. That will make her cast aside the garment of modesty and uncover her face, and she will show her beauty to strangers, and she will become a fitnah and what a fitnah. End quote from the website of Shaykh Ibn Jibreen.

For more information on the dangers of TV, see the essay al-Ijhaaz ‘ala al-Tilfaaz by Shaykh Muhammad Ahmad Ismaa’eel.

See also questions no. 3633, 3324, 1107, 13003 for the rulings on watching TV and movies.

And Allaah knows best.
http://islamqa.info/en/ref/85232

Hulk
02-06-2013, 01:44 AM
For those of you who do want to watch a film, you can use imdb to check whether it might be ok or not. I say might as their idea of what is suitable is different from ours. For example, to them music/songs with curse words are fine as long as the words get replaced. They do not take into account how the music itself would affect you as a narrative.

Anyway, you can go to imdb then search for your movie then once you go to the movie page you can click the parental guide button right below the genre line or you can just go up to the URL bar and add /parentalguide after the movie title code. Another site I just found is kids-in-mind dot com.

I do agree that we should be careful with making what is forbidden permissible, it goes the other way round as well with making with is permissible forbidden. A movie(by my definition) is simply a narrative on video, so whether it is fine or not fine depends on it's content. Books play a similar role as well but it wouldn't be right to say that books are haram just because there are trashy books out there would it.

Dagless
03-17-2013, 05:42 PM
*SPOILER*

I thought the film was a little long for the literal story to be fulfilling enough (the animals, the island, the tiger, choosing whichever story you want to believe in regards to religion etc).
I will have to re-watch at some point keeping the metaphorical story in mind when I do (ie. rather than the animals, it was actually the cook, his mother, him, etc).

*SPOILER*

Insaanah
03-17-2013, 05:48 PM
I have deleted many off-topic posts on the last page of this thread. Seeing as it seems to have served it's original purpose, and no longer seems to be able to stay on the original topic, I am going to close it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!