/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is abortion allowed in Islam?

Qurratul Ayn
01-30-2013, 10:11 PM
:salamext:

:ia: y'all are well

A dear friend of mine asked me is abortion allowed. I responded straight away, no. Without thinking at all if it is allowed in Islam or not. I personally don't believe in abortion but then my friend continued to ask me what if the female was abused, and she became pregnant. I couldn't answer. I told her I will find out and get back to her.

I've told my local Haafizah (a dear friend of mine) the situation, written above, she wasn't able to answer either, but said would get back to me and in the meantime to keep asking others. I could not find a suitable thread that answered the question. So here I am asking y'all

Is abortion allowed in Islam?

I appreciate the help :jz:

Making Du'a always

P.S. I was unsure where to post it, so I posted it here, please move it if it's not correct. I would have posted it in the Health & Science section, but the page wouldn't load up on my laptop

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aamirsaab
01-30-2013, 11:31 PM
Abortion is actually allowed but only under certain circumstances. Top of my head:
* rape cases
* if having the Baby (or continuing with the pregnancy) would kill the mother
* if it's before a certain stage in the pregnancy (before 120 days is considered allowed although there is disagreement between scholars as some say 40 days, and some even say if there is movement of the foetus then it's impermissable to have an abortion)

Sources:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religi...ortion_1.shtml

http://spa.qibla.com/issue_view.asp?...7&HD=12&ID=270 (scroll roughly half way down 'It is stated in Radd-al Muthar')

Muslim Woman
01-31-2013, 11:55 AM
:wa:

did not find fatwa about rape case , another one.

.....As regards aborting your pregnancy, this is forbidden at any stage of the stages of the development of the fetus, and this is even more forbidden if the soul is breathed into it as this is killing of a soul which Allaah forbade except with right. For more benefit on abortion, please refer to Fataawa 85930 and 85558.

In fact, your will to seek religious knowledge is not a sound reason for carrying out abortion. We think that the matter is easy and it does not need that you worry too much about it. So, you should try to be moderate and have a reasonable approach and endeavor to acquire knowledge according to your ability during your pregnancy. If you miss some knowledge, it is easy to acquire it at this present time and age where the modern techniques are available, like tapes, CD’s, lectures on the internet and the like.

Allaah Knows best.

http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/index.php?page=showfatwa&Option=FatwaId&Id=155269

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!