/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Copywright

Innocent Soul
02-01-2013, 03:50 PM
Assalamualaikum

This is to all the writers of Islamic Board who post their original stories. I like all your stories so I was thinking of sharing them with some people who I know but maybe if they like it then they are going to share it somewhere else. If I want to copy your story what should I write below it. I also wanted to do this but I did not wanted to copy others story without their permission and felt weird asking them personally. What should I do? I know its looking strange but all I want is not to hurt anyone and break others trust.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muhaba
02-01-2013, 04:17 PM
You can tell them about my stories and then refer them to my short story collection 1 available on Amazon.com - Just give them this link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B8WF7NE . They can then buy it if they want to read my stories. It costs $6.99 . Other than that, my stories posted on IB are for IB readers only. I don't allow anyone to share by printing them and giving them around.

Thanks for understanding.

sister herb
02-01-2013, 04:27 PM
I think that in general you should ask permission personaly from writers. Writers then can decide if they allow you to copy it or not and what name they want to give under the text. Like copyright with forum name or copyright with real name (and in the last case possible also some contact like email that someone else can also ask permit from the original writer) or what ever original writer decides.

Muhaba
02-01-2013, 04:41 PM
^ that is a fantastic idea Sister Harb.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sister herb
02-01-2013, 05:26 PM
^ That was actually quite same what copyright laws of my country says. In one my job before I had to read those laws quite well - that I wouldn´t insult copyrights of others and, of course, would know my rights. I created websites to some companies.

Laws of other countries may be different but I think mostly basic ideas are similar in (almost) everywhere.

Giving contacts as I wrote might feels difficult and embarrassing, but if someone wants to be sure that his/hers copyrights are not become violated, then it is almost necessary. Like if someone for example from Australia (and not member of this forum) gets my story and just my name, he the most likely can´t find me only by name if he doesn´t even know from what country he should try to looking for.

Who knows how many namesakes I might have in the entire world. :D

Muezzin
02-01-2013, 07:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Innocent Soul
Assalamualaikum

This is to all the writers of Islamic Board who post their original stories. I like all your stories so I was thinking of sharing them with some people who I know but maybe if they like it then they are going to share it somewhere else. If I want to copy your story what should I write below it. I also wanted to do this but I did not wanted to copy others story without their permission and felt weird asking them personally. What should I do? I know its looking strange but all I want is not to hurt anyone and break others trust.

Best thing is to PM the author, ask them, and if they give permission, ask them how they would like the story to appear etc.

Personally, I do not generally want my stories on Islamic Board to be posted elsewhere. :)

Cabdullahi
02-01-2013, 08:44 PM
i don't have any stories but insha'Allah if i ever write a story- i think i'll do in the next story contest- then you can copy and paste it, no problem. It has to be a good story, one that you think is worth sharing with folks.

sister herb
02-01-2013, 09:11 PM
^ Thats different. I too have posted stories without name but as by permit of writers. I have got permit to call them as "sister from Gaza" or "brother from Gaza".

May I send some kind of stories here too?

But they stories put you tears. :embarrass

Muhaba
02-02-2013, 10:14 AM
Respecting copyright is very important. It's awful when you feel someone has taken your work. This is why I'm so adamant about not allowing my writing to be copied and shared with others. On the other hand, if I publish a book and get an ISBN # i'm not so worried. Also, i don't mind if people share my [paperback] books like if they borrow a book to read. I don't really care if that affects my earnings. The only thing I don't want is stories I post online to be spread around because then someone can take them as their own.

Muhaba
02-02-2013, 10:18 AM
PS. speaking of books, I had written one called "Accounting for Beginners" along with its workbook back in 2007 when I was in college studying business. Published it through Kindle (Amazon.com) and it's sold two e-books already! so that really made me happy. oh yeah and it's priced only $3.99. but i've uploaded a revised version so it won't be available for a while. thought i'd share.

Cabdullahi
02-02-2013, 11:25 AM
The reasons i dont mind are as follows:

A. My work, if i should call it that, is for the people to benefit from, to awaken the minds of the people. The more it is copied and pasted the more people become affected, the more they become aware.

B. I have no gheerah for my work...people can look at it, modify it...print it and scrunch it up and slam dunk it into the bin.

Muhaba
02-02-2013, 04:03 PM
^you say this because you haven't written anything yet. when you do and you've posted it, especially if it's good, then youll become all possessive of it. writing is like having children. parents become so sensitive about their kids after they are born and writers become sensitive about their creative creations after they write them.

Abdul Fattah
02-03-2013, 06:15 PM
Aselam Aleykum
In my personal opinon, if a person posts something online on a forum, he/she waves those rights by making it public.
I for one don't mind, I even encourage people on my website to share my work.

Muhaba
02-04-2013, 02:37 PM
^No, that is not true. You don't wiave your rights by posting something on a public forum or website. the author holds all rights to their work unless they specifically give them away or sell them. Only after a specific amount of time after an author's death (i think 70 years) does the work move to the public domain where it is no longer copyrighted. anyone can use items in the public domain.

Abdul Fattah
02-04-2013, 04:36 PM
Yeah I know
Technically you're right. I wan't talking about the legal aspect, but more as in common sense. I mean, how hypocritical would it be to share something publicly here, and then make a fuss when somebody passes it along. And even though you still remain official owner, good luck finding a judge who would actually convict somebody for sharing stuff that you posted online for free. Now if somebody were selling the stuff that you posted online for free, that would be another case. But that wasn't the issue here.

Anyway, better not get me started on my opinions on the whole ethical and moral aspects of the issue of copyrights anyway, cause you'll never hear the end of it :p

Cabdullahi
02-04-2013, 05:24 PM
If you are a believer in your abilities you will have no problem with copyright issues, if you want to prove yourself to others and earn money, you will have issues with copyright. It also depends on how professional the work is, if it is posted on a forum then the talk of copyright should not occur, but if one professionally published their work usimg the proper avenues then, maybe, there can be a strong case for copywriting the published material.

Muezzin
02-04-2013, 07:05 PM
Read me

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!