/* */

PDA

View Full Version : SMoking? Shmoking?

cottonrainbow
02-05-2013, 01:44 AM
Assalamu alaikum!

I know this sounds crazy, but... I sometimes get a strong urge to smoke, especially when I am stressed out about something.

I haven't smoked since I reverted 3 years ago, but I get these irresistable urges to do so. I've even discussed it with my husband and my sister and they both are like, "It's haram--forget about it!"

I know it is supposed to be haram, but what about the Muslims who smoke hookah? I've witnessed plenty of Muslims smoking cigarettes (even hijabis)?

What can I do to fight this urge?

I don't crave to drink alcohol. I don't crave to do bad things. I don't crave to eat pork and other non-halal dishes. Why can't I shake this smoking feeling?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Abdul Fattah
02-05-2013, 03:50 PM
Aselam aleykum
First of all it's not "supposed" to be haram. It is haram, no diffrences in opinion, no doubt. As for those who smoke nonetheless, just remember that people aren't perfect. Just because they do it shouldn't make you doubt the rules. This is just the tip of the iceberg as far as commonly accepted sins goes. You'll find Muslims doing allot of worse things.

But getting back to your question, when I converted I quit smoking as well. So I guess that makes it 9 years now (I think, lost count somewhere along the way). anyway, what I found out that day, is the diffrencing between quiting and having quit. The physical addiction wears off in a day or two. Your body no longer needs the cigarette. The challenge is the psychological addiction, your mind still wants it.

- If you're fighting an urge, if you're constantly trying to shake the addiction, then you still aren't 100% on board. If you take this aproach you're "quitting" and you will be quitting for the rest of your life. And whenever you'll be in a weak spot you risk falling back. If this is your approach, you are still psychologically addicted. you can't just beat that addiction by sheer willpower and time. I have an aunt who was quitting like that for 25years ,and then finnally relapsed!

- If you are 100% convinced that you want to quit. And by this I don't just mean rationally, but your emotional side as well! Your mind exists out of more then just your rational self, and if you want to change something you'll need all parts pulling at the same side. Once this is so, you'll simply quit without further ado, Just like that. After a few weeks you'll actually be disgusted by the smell of cigarettes and the thought of smoking again will seem ridiculous. Then you'll know you "have quit".

Hulk
02-05-2013, 05:10 PM
trust me i know how u feel sis u need to stay away from that nonsense. Always turn to Allah.. remind yourself that He has made it possible for you to not smoke for 3 years.. Do your end by avoiding it! Out of sight out of mind, if you happen to be in the company of people who smoke. avoid them..

IbnAbdulHakim
02-05-2013, 05:38 PM
you wanna hear something funny?

I have NEVER been a smoker.

and i sometimes get the urge to smoke.

i've thought about this before - might be because my dad was a heavy smoker and secondary smoke affected me or something.

if that is the case - then i would strongly say thinkaboutthat

i actually called a friend before and said - "Bro why on EARTH am i craving a smoke?"
and he just replied with a threat to beat me up which kinda helped to be honest.

so craving is a WEIRD thing indeed - but its definitely best forgotten about - not acted upon.

btw - dont ever ever expect the craving to go away - ALWAYS EXPECT IT - always fight it

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
cottonrainbow
02-06-2013, 11:52 PM
:hiding:
Salaam and thanks. It helps to know that there are people out there who can relate to how I feel. :embarrass I feel ashamed, like I've outted myself.

'Abd Al-Maajid
02-07-2013, 05:44 PM
I have a question which may take this thread offline. Since it is related to smoking, I thought of aksing it.
What is the ruling if a person smokes weed/marijuana and he doesnt get intoxicated. I know what causes intoxication in large amounts in haram in smaller amounts too.

Thank you

Abdul Fattah
02-09-2013, 03:14 PM
Aselam aleykum
It causes intoxication in small amounts as well. Perhaps not enough for you to notice the effect, but each puff you inhale will inhibit some of your neurons in the brain. Not to mention that if you smoke it, you're also breading in burnt paper and such wich can cause troath cancer and so on. Again you could arguee that if it's in small amounts that it won't do that much damage, but that's not the point. Each amount does damage, however small it is. I mean there's allot of people who don't get drunk from a single glass, or from alcohol procesed in food, yet there's no fatwa's around allowing that, are there? When it's forbidden it's forbidden, no exceptions.

Qurratul Ayn
02-09-2013, 04:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cottonrainbow
I feel ashamed, like I've outted myself.
Don't feel ashamed! *Hug*

We are humans after all and prone to have temptation attack us every now and then. Lol

But be strong, use your willpower to beat it :ia: you'll succeed and be fine :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!