/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A world that can't stop talking

Confucius
02-09-2013, 03:47 PM
Assalamualaikum wa Rahmatullah,

So I was listening to the radio about a book called 'Quiet' the power of introverts in a world that can't stop talk - mashaAllah it's a very good read.

The author brings up a point that just struck me. She talks of personality versus character. That before one was taught character, to be moral, upright, honest, good etc so children had a value based upbringing. Now, however, we see the status quo has shifted - a huge shift - but in a subtle way; from character to personality.

A person is now judged on their personality. So it is made easier and easier to train oneself to have a good personality, an outward facade - that's all that matters. And I think we don't even realise but our society is developing a 'switch' system. Switch on the personality when its needed and switch it off when the camera stops rolling. Because we see a person may have an A-mazing personality but their personal life may be a mess due to weak character.

It just made me think. So character building is the long standing trait acquired through discipline similar to the idea of tassawuf. Personality - more the manmade stuff from the great industrialised era. No?

I'm making huge generalisations here. Any thoughts?

Regardless. The books good. :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
02-10-2013, 06:16 AM
Wa'alaikumsalam

format_quote Originally Posted by Confucius
A person is now judged on their personality
I always judge someone by personality because I don't want to judge anyone by social status like other people often do.

:)

Alpha Dude
02-10-2013, 09:12 AM
Excellent and very interesting observation.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!