/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody from Bangladesh?

glo
02-15-2013, 02:34 PM
My daughter will take part in a three-month volunteer project in Bangladesh from the beginning of May until the end of July.

I know that Islam is the state religion and Bangladesh is predominantly Muslim - so I thought this might be a good place to find out more about it.

Is anybody here from Bangladesh and can tell me more about the country and the people?

Thank you. :thankyou:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
sister herb
02-15-2013, 03:58 PM
I am not from Bangladesh but I have friends there. I can ask some of them to contact to you and tell more. One my friend was before studing in my country and returned to home end of the last year (and just married).

What more about my Bangladeshi contacts... I was before as admin in one islamic forum and other admins were from B...

;D

Periwinkle18
02-15-2013, 04:45 PM
I have a friend she lives in Dhaka where is ur daughter gng ?? which city??

Cabdullahi
02-15-2013, 05:22 PM
The least said about them, the better. A bit like the Germans, very good people!. One group love their alcohol beverages and the other their spices.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Qurratul Ayn
02-15-2013, 05:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cabdullahi
The least said about them, the better. A bit like the Germans, very good people!. One group love their alcohol beverages and the other their spices.
Lol. Ain't that the truth...

I'll be posting in a little while, dear glo, hold on...

Periwinkle18
02-15-2013, 05:28 PM
No, they're really nice at least the ppl I know are. :)

Just because some ppl r weird does the mean all of them are.

Qurratul Ayn
02-15-2013, 05:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Periwinkle18
Just because some ppl r weird does the mean all of them are.
Lol!!! Apologies, I found that funny

True, true that, Periwinkly

glo
02-15-2013, 05:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Periwinkle18
I have a friend she lives in Dhaka where is ur daughter gng ?? which city??
She doesn't know any details. She only heard today that it will be Bangladesh ...

Periwinkle18
02-15-2013, 05:47 PM
Oh okie lemme know she finds out I'll ask my friend :) I guess its gng to be Dhaka.

abcdcool2012
02-15-2013, 06:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
My daughter will take part in a three-month volunteer project in Bangladesh from the beginning of May until the end of July.

I know that Islam is the state religion and Bangladesh is predominantly Muslim - so I thought this might be a good place to find out more about it.

Is anybody here from Bangladesh and can tell me more about the country and the people?

Thank you. :thankyou:

I have cousin sister there and her family....

Muhaba
02-15-2013, 06:15 PM
the third-world countries are mostly good and the ppl there are nice but there is lack of law and order (don't know much about bangladesh but i believe that's true about it too - it's something like india and we all know what happened there recently when a woman and her friend tried to take a bus at night). so my suggestion would be that your daughter stick to ppl she knows and not go anywhere with ppl she doesn't know, not go in taxis alone or even with her all-female group, etc. i think you can find out about bangladesh by doing a search online, such as looking up "security in bangladesh" or information for westerns visiting bangladesh or something. Also, she should be able to get reliable information from the group that's taking her there.

Cabdullahi
02-15-2013, 06:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by WRITER
the third-world countries are mostly good and the ppl there are nice but there is lack of law and order (don't know much about bangladesh but i believe that's true about it too - it's something like india and we all know what happened there recently when a woman and her friend tried to take a bus at night). so my suggestion would be that your daughter stick to ppl she knows and not go anywhere with ppl she doesn't know, not go in taxis alone or even with her all-female group, etc. i think you can find out about bangladesh by doing a search online, such as looking up "security in bangladesh" or information for westerns visiting bangladesh or something. Also, she should be able to get reliable information from the group that's taking her there.
Glo is a christian lady and i would like to think her daughter would not have erratic, carefree behavior, but teens are teens, at the end of the day.

IbnAbdulHakim
02-15-2013, 06:32 PM
I am bengali and have been bangladesh and can only say good things about it

but I was under the safety of my family.

i can only hope your daughter is well organised in her journey

glo
02-15-2013, 06:43 PM
Thanks all, for your replies so far.
My daughter is going with the International Citizen Service, which is the youth section of the Volunteers Services Overseas. They seem very organised and well set up. And she will receive training and information. http://www.vso.org.uk/volunteer/oppo...8-25-year-olds

We will need to do some fund-raising too, as she has to raise £800 herself. Does anybody have any ideas?
So far hubby is planning a music evening; I have booked a couple of craft tables to sell my knitting and a friend is organising a 'curry night' ...

Beardo
02-15-2013, 06:48 PM
I've been to Bangladesh a few times, since my ancestors are Bangladeshi.

I have an English accent, I suppose, so when I went to the marketplace, everyone bumped up the price of their goods like 10 times.

Just be careful. Don't be too trusting there. If your daughter is going, I'd probably suggest always going out in a group. Going alone might be dangerous. And I'd strongly suggest to not dress too extravagantly when going out.

Other than that, Bangladeshis are known for their hospitality. :) I pray she has a good and safe time, insha-Allah.

Qurratul Ayn
02-15-2013, 07:10 PM
My daughter is going with the International Citizen Service, which is the youth section of the Volunteers Services Overseas. They seem very organised and well set up. And she will receive training and information.
That's good to know, as long as she is with trustworthy people then Insha'Allaah it will be OK

- Tell your daughter to always stay covered (wear loose clothing, long-sleeved tops, palazzo trousers, maxi dresses with thin cardigans) otherwise she and her companions will be ogled at, more than they will be if they're uncovered
- To be careful of what they eat and drink
- Never venture out alone, always go in a big group
- Always be aware and cautious

Best to heed the advice given by members whether she is going to Dhaka, Sylhet, Cox Bazaar, Chittagong...

format_quote Originally Posted by Beardo
Other than that, Bangladeshis are known for their hospitality.
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
I am bengali and have been bangladesh and can only say good things about it
:alhamd: Wow

Qurratul Ayn
02-15-2013, 07:14 PM
We will need to do some fund-raising too, as she has to raise £800 herself. Does anybody have any ideas?
So far hubby is planning a music evening; I have booked a couple of craft tables to sell my knitting and a friend is organising a 'curry night' ...
"Curry night" - LOOOL

:haha: That had me laughing

Sponsored run? Sponsored silence? Eating a certain amount of a particular type of food and seeing how long she will last in a timed session (A pound per minute or every 10 chocolate bars, something like that :p)? Sell cupcakes? Wash cars? Mow lawns/gardens?

:D

glo
02-15-2013, 07:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Qurratul Ayn

"Curry night" - LOOOL

:haha: That had me laughing

Sponsored run? Sponsored silence? Eating a certain amount of a particular type of food and seeing how long she will last in a timed session (A pound per minute or every 10 chocolate bars, something like that :p)? Sell cupcakes? Wash cars? Mow lawns/gardens?

Ohh, you are GOOOD!

What's funny about a 'curry night'??? LOL ;D
Actually, my friend (who is British) is planning to invite 10-15 friends (also British) to her curry night and charge them £10 each to raise money for the project... so I'm not complaining! :)

Can you suggest any recipes?

I'd be good at a sponsored run, but less good at a sponsored silence. :nervous: (Although hubby might like the idea of a sponsored silence! :omg:)

Qurratul Ayn
02-15-2013, 07:49 PM
Ohh, you are GOOOD!
Thank you, me lovely *do a curtsy*

I did all of those before so thought it may help you help your daughter :D

Can you suggest any recipes?
NO KORMA. NO KORMA. NO KORMA. ABSOLUTELY NOT. :raging:

*Clears throat* I sincerely apologise for that outburst but please, please, please no korma. Anything but that. I'll give you some recipes in a little while, hold on again :D

But then again, y'all might like it... *Shudders* Ah, everyone has their own tastes

I'd be good at a sponsored run, but less good at a sponsored silence. (Although hubby might like the idea of a sponsored silence! )
:haha:

Muslim Woman
02-16-2013, 05:50 AM
Salaam/ Peace

I hope , she will be able to visit the beautiful places here .

normally people are friendly and hospitable . But now a days , it's hard to trust unknown persons . So , better if ur daughter does not go out alone or with strangers . Also , at night it's not much safe to go out becuase of hijackers .

If she stays in Dhaka , there will be lot of shopping places - u won't beleive how cheap things are here , specially Bango bazar is very famous among foreigners .

As she is coming with a group , God Willing she won't face any problems . But by any chance , if she needs help from Police.
Police Control Room : 9665407 ; 01713398311
http://www.bangladesh.gov.bd/

Muhaba
02-16-2013, 12:11 PM
^it looks like such a beautiful place. These places r so beautiful and could've profited lots from tourism industry but suffer due to corruption and lack of law and order, unfortunatly.

Re.TiReD
02-16-2013, 01:57 PM
I think the key pieces of advice I give myself before going to countries like these are: don't forget your vaccinations/jabs, don't eat too much street food, don't go out alone/make sure you have company, try to 'fit in' as much as possible and don't draw unnecessary attention to yourself... by that I mean don't dress in such a way that you stick out like a sore thumb.

Drink lots of water :D

I always get sick when I go back home :/

glo
02-16-2013, 04:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Re.TiReD
I think the key pieces of advice I give myself before going to countries like these are: don't forget your vaccinations/jabs, don't eat too much street food, don't go out alone/make sure you have company, try to 'fit in' as much as possible and don't draw unnecessary attention to yourself... by that I mean don't dress in such a way that you stick out like a sore thumb.

Drink lots of water :D

I always get sick when I go back home :/
Sounds like good advice, sis.
The vaccination list is quite long and includes Heb A+B, Typhoid, Rabies and (depending on the altitude) Malaria.

Iceee
02-16-2013, 05:02 PM
I don't know anything about your daughter so I don't know what places she might visit in Bangladesh.

1. If she does go out to clubs or partying, make sure she is with atleast 2-3 TRUSTED friends who can watch her.

2. Wear proper attire, it might be hot but wearing a short skirt in some countries can get you in trouble. In general, woman wear saari in Bangladesh but jeans or long skirts could be alright as long as it doesn't look to tight.

3. Most people in Bangladesh speak Bangla (Bengali), carry a translation dictionary if you'd like.

4. DO NOT leave your passports, air-tickets, valuables in a hotel room when nobody is present. It's better IMO to keep them in the hotel locker.

5. KEEP an eye on all your possessions.

6. Carry lots of water.

7. Have fun. Remember to tell her to phone a few times to let you know how everything is.

glo
02-17-2013, 02:25 PM
Thanks Icee

My daughter would be staying either with a host family or with the rest of the group.
The days are planned, as they are taking part in a volunteer project (for example access to safe water and medical services, hygiene, market access etc).

I am very blessed that my daughter does not like clubbing or meeting boys. She dresses modestly (to Western standards anyway) and won't have any problems adjusting to local customs.
However, she is very fair-skinned, so heat and sunshine could be an issue.

Iceee
02-17-2013, 02:28 PM
my daughter does not like clubbing or meeting boys.
Who likes clubbing? Lol.
Girls don't like meeting boys... Boys like meeting girls.

ardianto
02-17-2013, 02:53 PM
I am very blessed that my daughter does not like clubbing or meeting boys.
Girls and boys who like clubbing will not interested to become volunteer in social projects.

Periwinkle18
02-17-2013, 02:55 PM
Make chicken karhai or boneless chicken handi with nan

Ahh yummy

Beardo
02-25-2013, 07:33 PM
Also, I would advise her to only drink bottled water and to be wary when eating dairy products.

Raaina
02-25-2013, 09:30 PM
I spent 6 months in Bangladesh last year. It was an interesting experience :D
*edited as I hadn't finished before it posted itself*

I spent most of my time in a remote village, so if your daughter is going to Dhaka or Coxes Bazar, she'll have a great time (not that I didn't have a great time!)

My advice is:

Dress how the local women dress as best you can.
Take spare medication and a copy of your prescription medication in case you need some out there
Only drink bottled water and wash your plate in bottle water too (I did this in many of the food places I went to)
Don't go alone to unknown places (obvious one there, sorry)

She'll love it - don't worry! :)

Yes I was a white woman and I stuck out like a sore thumb, but I had a wonderful time and for the most part people couldn't do enough for you and really looked after me. But if you want to ask me anything, feel free to :)

Raaina
02-25-2013, 09:46 PM
Also, Malaria is only in Chittagong. If she's not going there, she went need malaria tablets. Also, it's monsoon season.... Tell her NOT to wear white clothes... I talk from experience :hiding:

Periwinkle18
02-26-2013, 03:33 PM
n i guess she should take an umbrella as well??

it does rain alot over there rite??

Muslim Woman
02-26-2013, 03:42 PM
:sl:

hot season has started ; so better to take umbrella , if not for rain , to avoid sunburn.

ardianto
02-26-2013, 04:17 PM

Beach hat? to avoid sunburn?

IbnAbdulHakim
02-27-2013, 08:36 PM
Also, I would advise her to only drink bottled water and to be wary when eating dairy products.
that's what they made me do.

I felt like such a weakling with my immune system.

3rd world country people are titans !

glo
02-28-2013, 11:11 AM
that's what they made me do.

I felt like such a weakling with my immune system.

3rd world country people are titans !
I think it's simply to do with what our bodies have been exposed to and developed immunity against since birth and what genes we have been passed on by our ancestors.

For example, many Europeans have a basic immunity against the pest (Black Death), because our ancestors were the ones who survived the epidemic in the 14th century.

When the Spanish invaded South America the brought with the the influenza virus - a virus most Europeans have at least partial immunity to but unfortunately the local population didn't ... and many died.

That's nothing to do with being strong, it's just to do with having immunity.

glo
03-22-2013, 03:07 PM
I said that I would let you know when we know more about my daughter's trip.

She will most likely be going to the Chittagong Hill Tracts.
Very rural, by the looks of it, and very beautiful.

And yes, malaria medication will be required.

sister herb
03-22-2013, 05:02 PM
It looks nice area. Hopely your daughter will get a lot of good experiences, memories, friends and what is the most important - will understands different people.

I wish her luck to hers journey.

:statisfie

mahzabin
03-22-2013, 06:48 PM
I'm from Bangladesh, currently living in New York though. If you have any question don't hesitate to ask. Insha'Allah your daughter will enjoy her stay there.

Muslim Woman
03-23-2013, 08:14 AM
Salaam/ Peace

Chittagong is one of the nicest districts in Bangladesh . Many tourist spots are there . I m sure , ur daughter would love her visit there .

Tell her to visit Cox's Bazar sea beach. It's the longest sea beach in the world and very beautiful .
Also Rangamati , Bandarban - these are popular tourist spots .

I hope , she can manage some trips in these places :)

glo
03-23-2013, 12:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
Salaam/ Peace

Chittagong is one of the nicest districts in Bangladesh . Many tourist spots are there . I m sure , ur daughter would love her visit there .

Tell her to visit Cox's Bazar sea beach. It's the longest sea beach in the world and very beautiful .
Also Rangamati , Bandarban - these are popular tourist spots .

I hope , she can manage some trips in these places :)
It would be nice if she could visit some of these places.
At the moment my daughter is in Birmingham on a training weekend. Hopefully she will know more about the actual project and her team when she comes back.

I am very excited for her, and a little worried too. It's not easy to let your children go ... :phew

One thing is for sure - there won't be snow in Chittagong! LOL

mahzabin
03-23-2013, 04:19 PM
There's no snow in any part of Bangladesh, heehee. She might be faced with rains though. Chittagong is actually a nice place to go, not very crowded and naturally beautiful (thought I've never been there, it's one of the top tourists' spots in Bangladesh).

Cabdullahi
03-23-2013, 06:49 PM

Cabdullahi
03-23-2013, 06:50 PM
She should only drink bottled water and not the normal tap water....you cannot volunteer if you have diarrhea..

unless you wear pampers or something.

sister herb
03-28-2013, 09:01 PM

glo
03-29-2013, 05:37 AM
Hey, peepz, please don't take this thread off topic.
GuestFellow, I have read your comment and I appreciate your concern. Of course I am concerned for my daughter's safety too.

At the same time I am sure that not all Banglashis are perverts, or that there are no more dodgy people in Bangladesh than anywhere else in the world.

How to conduct herself and keep safe and how to be aware of cultural issues and differences is part of my daughter's training for this trip. She will also be in a group with senior staff.
She is also quite a sensible young woman who is not likely to seek risky situations.
God willing she will be safe. :)

glo
03-31-2013, 07:21 AM
I have a question about clothes.
As a Westerner my daughter will not be required to wear hijab, but loose clothing (trousers, tunic-style top and scarf to cover the chest) are recommended.
She has been told that it will be easy to have something made when she is there, but I think it would be good to buy at least a few things here to take with her.
Can you recommend anywhere online where I could look.

(We are on a budget, so no designer stuff please!)

Muslim Woman
03-31-2013, 08:13 AM
Salaam/ Peace

clothes are very cheap here . So , instead of buying expensive dress in UK or buy online ,
it's better to buy the same quality dress from local shops

http://uk.shopping.com/bangladesh-cl...+clothing&nc=1

http://uk.shopping.com/bangladesh cl.../products~NS-1
http://www.giftdunia.com/salwar-kameez.html

sister herb
03-31-2013, 09:16 AM
Shalwar kameez is good in Bangladesh - with hijab if she likes to use it. Both men and women use kind of dress in there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shalwar_kameez

glo
05-04-2013, 06:12 AM
Only 4 days until my daughter leaves for Bangladesh.
Immunisations are completed, anti-malarials started, clothes bought and bags packed ... time for maternal anxiety to kick in ... :phew

Periwinkle18
05-04-2013, 07:57 AM
Don't worry she'll b fine :)

Muslim Woman
05-04-2013, 11:44 AM
Hi ,

did u get her tour prog ?

glo
05-04-2013, 04:13 PM
Hi ,

did u get her tour prog ?
What do you mean, Muslim woman?

My daughter will be travelling with the project group on Tuesday evening and they will stay in Dhaka for the first five days or so for training.
Then the individual groups (4 volunteers and one supervisor) will move out to the different areas. My daughter's team is going to Chittagong. Once there, she will live with a host family.

Raaina
05-04-2013, 06:34 PM
She'll be fine and she'll love it. :)

ardianto
05-06-2013, 02:21 PM
Only 4 days until my daughter leaves for Bangladesh.
Immunisations are completed, anti-malarials started, clothes bought and bags packed ... time for maternal anxiety to kick in ... :phew
I know, as a mother you are worry when your daughter will go to the place that far. But In Sha Allah, your daughter will be fine and enjoy her new experience.

glo
05-07-2013, 10:40 AM
My daughter and my husband are on their way to London now and my daughter will fly out to Bangladesh tonight.

I cannot quite describe how I am feeling. Emotional, distracted and a little lost ...
Anyway, I have to go to work now. Keeping busy will probably be helpful.

I would like those of you who feel it is appropriate to keep my daughter in your prayers/duas.

ardianto
05-07-2013, 11:26 AM
Your daughter is in our dua. Always share us news about her. :)

Re.TiReD
05-07-2013, 06:56 PM
My daughter and my husband are on their way to London now and my daughter will fly out to Bangladesh tonight.

I cannot quite describe how I am feeling. Emotional, distracted and a little lost ...

I would like those of you who feel it is appropriate to keep my daughter in your prayers/duas.
The situation in Bangladesh is dire at the moment, are they still going? And if so, why?? You won't hear it on the news here in the UK but this is what I read on facebook just 2 hours ago:

Ok, update on Bangladesh based on a phone call this morning with friends in BD. These are ulama who i studied with, visit regularly, and trust completely.

Deaths of 2k to 3k is based on estimation. The estimation is based on the following points from eye witness account of friends I know personally who escaped the scene (shapla square) alive and have made it home to Sylhet.

1. Several thousand of the demonstrators had decided to spend the night on the square based a spontaneous decision by leaders on the day. This is something they had warned would happen if their demands were not met.

2. While they slept rough on and around the square, they were awoken by the sound of tanks and helicopter/s and gunfire. They awoke to find themselves surrounded by security forces. (government admits 10k forces).

3. The forces opened fire from above and below. Rubber, live ammo, various grenades the lot. Some witnesses even report people being run over by vehicles as they struggled to get up and run. Others simply knocked out by stun/sound grenades.

4. There was so much gunfire, it was like a battleground. (this u can confirm from the media footage shown here on UK channels). Sounds like helmand.

5. People scattered running in to buildings and alleyways while others were shot. My friends who this report is from, ran up into a hotel building who's owner kindly gave them refuge while the shooting continued below. They travelled as a group of around 9-10, only half have made it back. The others are thus far missing.

6. After the shooting, bodies were loaded on to trucks and taken away.

7. The area was then promptly hosed down by the fire trucks that were part of the convoy. Some have reported the area being sprinkled with something first.

The high number of victims propagated is inferred from these realities on the ground reported by hundreds of eye witnesses who escaped. I've now heard exactly the same account several times over from different people.

Most people are grieving today and trying to trace those missing and collate reports of those who are believed to be dead. This is suffering delays due to further strikes by the opposition coalition.

Now, forget how many, It's definitely not 30 as the mainstream media is reporting. Draw your own conclusions from the above as to how many it could be and the severity and sheer magnitude of this atrocity.

Among those missing are senior ulama, many of whom regularly visit the UK. Some have been arrested while others are believed to be dead. No bodies have been found or reported as of yet.

I'll do a separate post on the key figures who are missing after some more digging.

https://www.facebook.com/shamsadduha

The above is what is happening in Dhaka. Your daughter won't be involved in any demonstrations and protests as you said she's going for a different reason but just knowing that atrocities like that are happening is awful. InShaAllah she'll be ok. I'll PM you

Periwinkle18
05-07-2013, 07:15 PM
:cry: may Allah keep our brothers n sisters safe ameen plz remember them in ur duas.

sister herb
05-07-2013, 08:31 PM

Peace with you

Let your baby fly. Your feelings are just same what every moms feels when child leaves home at the first time.

And yes she is on my duas everyday.

Muslim Woman
05-08-2013, 11:49 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by Re.TiReD
... After the shooting, bodies were loaded on to trucks and taken away.

not sure about numbers but this could be a rumour that thousands died . Anyway situation is under control of Police now . No Govt. will allow such demonstration in the capital city .

In'sha Allah political situation will calm down here .

glo
05-10-2013, 04:57 AM
Thank you for your support and prayers.

I have now heard that they arrived safely and we had our first email from my daughter. She was sounding quite chirpy and excited - telling us about her first rickshaw ride and about the calls for prayer at night time.
Hopefully this will be a great experience for her and the opportunity to explore other cultures and learn about other religions and ways of life.

Muslim Woman
05-10-2013, 05:03 AM

there will be hartal / strike on sunday . So , better not to go out on that day .

Tell her to go to bongo bazar if she wants shopping .

glo
05-10-2013, 05:16 AM
I will mention the strike, although VSO have their own office and local people at Dhaka, so I expect they are aware and will advise the group.

I will definitely tell her about bongo bazaar. She didn't buy many clothes here in the UK and was going to get clothes locally. Thanks for the suggestion :)
Is the bazaar a safe place? (I don't expect she will go anywhere alone) And is she expected to haggle/bargain?

IbnAbdulHakim
05-10-2013, 01:58 PM
glo a bit off topic but i really want to ask... hope you dont mind.

how would you feel about your daughter wanting to become muslim?

and if you want me to answer then my answer is i wouldnt allow it under my roof.

thats due to my personal beliefs and feelings. i thought its only fair i be honest with you as i consider you very open minde.

Muslim Woman
05-10-2013, 03:28 PM
Hi

Is the bazaar a safe place? (I don't expect she will go anywhere alone) And is she expected to haggle/bargain?

yes , many foriegners go there . Tell her to go during day time . We have electricity prob here . So , in night , without notice electricity goes off .

She needs to bargain a lot . Say shopkeepers say it's 600 . She needs to start from 150 . Then he will laugh and say , hey what are u saying ? Then she will pretend ok I m leaving . Then he will say , ok . 550 . Then she will say maximum 20 taka more I can give . He will say , ok give me 500 tk . After such conversation , hopefully she will be able to buy it by 250 taka. ;D

But here people know foreingers are rich . so I m not sure if our local technicque will be fruitful for ur daughter .

Periwinkle18
05-10-2013, 03:39 PM
Haha Lol I remember we used to have so much fun buying stuff from china. Well the tip is to keep repeating no matter what they say for example if u wanna buy something for 150 n keep saying 150 they'll get annoyed n give it for 150 in the end :p

My mum uses this technique works I'm pak and china :p n if u act as if ur leaving they call u n give it to u.

glo
05-10-2013, 05:28 PM
how would you feel about your daughter wanting to become muslim?
My daughter calls herself an agnostic. I would be quite excited to see her seek and find God in her own way - whatever that might be.
In Chittagong she is likely to meet Buddhists too and possibly even stay with a Buddhist family.
Who knows, she might develop an interest in Buddhism ...

Of course I would be delighted if she ever chose to become a Christian - after all that's the faith I have chosen for myself.
But I would rather my daughter sought and followed God sincerely in a faith different to my own than just be a Christian because "her mum told her to". God knows us so much better than we do ourselves. I believe he loves a sincere and earnest seeker and one who desires to submit.

glo
05-10-2013, 05:30 PM
She needs to bargain a lot . Say shopkeepers say it's 600 . She needs to start from 150 . Then he will laugh and say , hey what are u saying ? Then she will pretend ok I m leaving . Then he will say , ok . 550 . Then she will say maximum 20 taka more I can give . He will say , ok give me 500 tk . After such conversation , hopefully she will be able to buy it by 250 taka.
O dear. I don't think we westerners are good at bargaining ... :phew

glo
05-17-2013, 06:21 AM
Please keep my daughter in your prayers, as she is taking a 12-hour journey from Dhaka to Khagrachari today to begin her project work.

ardianto
05-17-2013, 06:43 AM
Please keep my daughter in your prayers, as she is taking a 12-hour journey from Dhaka to Khagrachari today to begin her project work.
She is in my du'a. :)

Muslim Woman
05-17-2013, 08:14 AM
hi glo

I have not visited that place but heard that it's beautiful . On her way , she is supposed to stop at Comilla and Chittagong . So , hopefully it won't be tiring for her .

sister herb
05-17-2013, 01:30 PM
12 hours sounds a long traveling. May Allah keeps her safe.

glo
05-17-2013, 01:46 PM
Thank you for your dua's. I have just received a text from my daughter to say that they have arrived safely. Praise God! :)

Muslim Woman
05-19-2013, 03:43 PM
Hi ,

how was the trip ? Is she enjoying her time ? If possible tell her to go to Cox's Bazar , it's beautiful . Longest sea beach of the world is there.

glo
05-19-2013, 05:56 PM
I am not sure that she will have much time for sight-seeing and travel whilst she is there, Muslim Woman. As I understand Kagrachari is a long way from the coast.

I am hoping that she will be able to blog and/or email pictures soon. I found this blog about Kagrachari: http://incrediblebangla.blogspot.co....ld-beauty.html
There is also a link to pictures from Cox's Bazar. Beautiful!!

The trip was long and after 10 days in an air-conditioned hotel in Dhaka, she is inly just experiencing the heat. On top of that there is only intermittent electricity. Quite a learning curve for a young English girl!

When we speak on the phone she sounds very happy and excited to be there. So all is well! :)

~Zaria~
05-19-2013, 06:19 PM
Hi Glo,

This sounds like quite an adventure for your daughter! Im sure she is going to have a great time, God willingly.

Travelling opens your mind in so many wonderful ways.....
If it were not for the need of a mahram (male companion that one is married to/ not permissible for marriage) to accompany me, I would have likely been lost in some forest/ desert/ remote island now as well! (My family is honestly so relieved by this ruling for women and travelling! lol)

I hope that she will share some pics and experiences from her trip with us as well.

Take care

introspective
05-21-2013, 05:41 AM
I had traveled to Bangladesh in 2006 and stayed with my mother's family in the Lalbagh area of Dhaka, which is considered the "old town" and is at the southern end of the city. I was accosted by a few porters at the airport and out of the blue, they asked I could give them money (described as goosh per vernacular). I knew that it would happen and I just ignored them and they did not bother me afterwards. They had thought that I was from the Emirates or Saudi Arabia, and I was hoping that they would guess that I was an American. Though on the day of our departure, my mother and I had to appease the baggage screener to get into the airport.

Political strife and sometimes violent demonstrations are expected. The rampant cronyism amongst the politicians and prominent business officials stymies progress of improving major infrastructure. Since I was not born in Bangladesh, I would say that I was put off by the apparent adoption of some distasteful elements of Western culture. Yes, I do exhibit characteristics of a fasiq (one who neglects or disobeys Allah's commandments) but understand that the invasive nature of consumerist pop culture or so called globalization, broadly propagated by multinational American and European corporations, will eventually overshadow a third world country's culture (well not all of it). Not that I'm suggesting that your daughter is an agent of said paradigm but she will probably notice it if she observes from an anthropological/sociological perspective. I'll just stop right there and just get on with providing you some of my insights.

Heavy congestion on Dhaka's roads, especially if you're going to the shopping districts, is commonplace and it did put me to sleep a couple times when I traveled by car (probably due to the heat). I preferred rickshaws over cars and 'baby' taxis (look similar to a Reliant Robin). Northern Dhaka, let's say Gulshan and beyond, is a bit more modern yet the development is extremely mismanaged by city officials. However, I did enjoy the unique ice coffee at the bowling alley in Rifle Square. As for eateries, there are some ethnic restaurants in Gulshan near the consulates but they are quite expensive. Apparently the American restaurant where I had dined catered local organic beef steaks. Very rarely did I eat out. Oh, there is a Moghul-era fort in Lalbagh that has some interesting exhibitions.

I do not remember if I had seen any Caucasians during my stay in Dhaka but I'm sure they frequent around somewhere other than Gulshan. There are pale-skinned Bengalis (well not too many) and your daughter should not encounter any trouble. But it doesn't hurt to travel with a trustworthy guide and I would recommend that she wear the local clothing. I don't know if young Bengali men act strange when they spot a Caucasian female but I have heard of a female Peace Corp member being assaulted somewhere in the slums of Dhaka. She should also be cautious when she goes to Cox Bazar. Believe it or not, university campuses in the U.S. have had reported similar cases of assault.

I hope that I didn't cloud your perception of Bangladesh as unapproachable and it was not my intention to do so. I wish your daughter the best in her travels.

GuestFellow
05-29-2013, 12:30 PM
I would carry a revolver with me if I went to a country like Bangladesh, Pakistan or India. Crazy things happen there. :skeleton:

On the bright side, I like the food and the animals.

Muslim Woman
05-29-2013, 12:49 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by GuestFellow
I would carry a revolver with me if I went to a country like Bangladesh, .
:embarrass looks like u had some bad experineces there . But now a days , it's hard to find any country where people are totally safe.

GuestFellow
05-29-2013, 12:58 PM

I know. Well the dogs actually freak me out. So many wild dogs.

Muslim Woman
05-29-2013, 04:31 PM

do u mean street dogs ?

GuestFellow
05-29-2013, 04:31 PM

Yeah street dogs. Plus people keep starring at me. It's so creepy! :/

glo
05-29-2013, 04:52 PM
What does 'bideshi' mean?

Muslim Woman
05-29-2013, 04:56 PM
hi glo,

it means foreigner.

deshi = local .

I guess , ur daugther is hearing this a lot of time :)

glo
05-29-2013, 05:02 PM
I guess , ur daugther is hearing this a lot of time
Yes, all the time! I guess she is not blending in very well with her fair freckly skin and her strawberry blond hair ...:p

GuestFellow
05-29-2013, 05:15 PM
Tell her to carry a weapon. I made my cousin carry an umbrella when she leaves the house. I tell her to hit people.

glo
05-29-2013, 05:21 PM
Tell her to carry a weapon. I made my cousin carry an umbrella when she leaves the house. I tell her to hit people.
My daughter is with a group of other young volunteers, GuestFellow. So far she has been quite safe. :)

IbnAbdulHakim
05-30-2013, 12:30 AM
whats she up to now glo?

glo
05-30-2013, 06:38 AM
whats she up to now glo?
They arrived in Khagrachari two weeks ago. From there they go out and work in one of the villages. I think they work around providing healthy water, but unfortunately we have not had long enough contact with my daughter to know any details.

They seem to have better Internet access now, so hopefully I will hear more soon or she will be able to blog.
I am dying to see some pictures! :)

Muslim Woman
05-30-2013, 06:48 AM

hit for what ...calling her bedeshi or staring at her ? In that case , glo's daughter needs to hit almost each and every people in the places she is travelling in BD ;D

sister herb
05-30-2013, 07:47 AM
Salam alaykum

Hit people? Is this how people normally behave in Asia?

^o)

GuestFellow
05-30-2013, 10:03 AM

hit for what ...calling her bedeshi or staring at her ? In that case , glo's daughter needs to hit almost each and every people in the places she is travelling in BD ;D

For creeping her out of course.

format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
Salam alaykum

Hit people? Is this how people normally behave in Asia?

^o)

No, it's not normal.

ardianto
05-30-2013, 10:34 AM
The best protection for women is not weapon, but avoiding the place and situation that may be dangerous.

For your information. The thugs are not afraid to the weapon, but afraid to the person.

GuestFellow
05-30-2013, 10:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
The best protection for women is not weapon, but avoiding the place and situation that may be dangerous.
Well I tell her to assume everything might be dangerous even when you are crossing the road or taking a small trip to the corner shop.

ardianto
05-30-2013, 11:08 AM
Well I tell her to assume everything might be dangerous even when you are crossing the road or taking a small trip to the corner shop.
I never let my wife, my sister, or my mother crossed the road alone when I was with them, but I always helped them to cross the road.

Like in UK, vehicles in Indonesia run on the left side. When I cross the road with my wife or my sister or my mother, at first I'm on her right side, and in the middle, I move to her left side. So, if a car hit us, the car would hit me first.

Okay, okay, you can make a new thread if you want to learn how to be a gentleman. Now we must back to topic about Bangladesh.

ardianto
05-30-2013, 11:11 AM
hi glo,

it means foreigner.

deshi = local .

I guess , ur daugther is hearing this a lot of time :)
"Deshi" means "local".

Hmm, I guess, "desh" means "land" and "Bangladesh" means "land of Bangla people"

Is it right?

Muslim Woman
05-30-2013, 05:11 PM

"Deshi" means "local".

Hmm, I guess, "desh" means "land" and "Bangladesh" means "land of Bangla people"

Is it right?

desh means country / motherland , Bangla is the official language of us . Most citizens are bangla speaking except say 1 to 2 percents those who live mainly in hilly areas.

It never struck me before that those who do not speak Bangla , Bangladesh is also their motherland .

introspective
05-31-2013, 03:55 AM
Optimistically speaking, I'm pretty sure that the inhabitants of small towns and villages are a bit more hospitable and mindful of their business. It's good to hear that your daughter is travelling with a group.

glo
06-01-2013, 09:06 AM
I am very excited to share some pictures my daughter took in Bangladesh:

Abu Dhabi airport

Rickshaws

Children in Dhaka

Jungle near the village of Haduk Para

Henna painting

Lizard

Abdul Rafay
06-01-2013, 09:08 AM
I've been to Bangladesh a few times, since my ancestors are Bangladeshi.

I have an English accent, I suppose, so when I went to the marketplace, everyone bumped up the price of their goods like 10 times.

Just be careful. Don't be too trusting there. If your daughter is going, I'd probably suggest always going out in a group. Going alone might be dangerous. And I'd strongly suggest to not dress too extravagantly when going out.

Other than that, Bangladeshis are known for their hospitality. I pray she has a good and safe time, insha-Allah.
where in BD r u from

Muslim Woman
06-01-2013, 06:39 PM
Hi glo ,

I m confused about Abu Dhabi airport

never heard of such airport here .

glo
06-01-2013, 07:14 PM
Sorry about the confusion, Muslim Woman. Abu Dhabi International airport is in the United Arab Emirates. That's where they stopped over before taking the plane to Dhaka.

sister herb
06-01-2013, 07:49 PM
I liked that lizard. :D

GuestFellow
06-01-2013, 07:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
I liked that lizard. :D
Please stick with beans and lentils.

glo
06-02-2013, 07:22 PM
More pics:

ardianto
06-04-2013, 09:11 AM
Lizard

It's Gecko, from family Gekkonidae. They live in the house, usually in village areas.

In Indonesia we call Gecko as "Tokek" because they have a loud enough voice that sounded as "to...kek ...... to...kek"

Smaller species from family Gekkonidae. They live in my house too.

In Indonesia we call them as "Cecak" because they sound "cak...cak...cak"

sister herb
06-04-2013, 10:09 AM
More pics:

;D Nice spider. Is it spider? How many legs it has...

ardianto
06-04-2013, 10:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
;D Nice spider. Is it spider? How many legs it has...
Eight!

Sis, do not count the shadow :D

glo
06-04-2013, 03:42 PM
It's Gecko, from family Gekkonidae. They live in the house, usually in village areas.

In Indonesia we call Gecko as "Tokek" because they have a loud enough voice that sounded as "to...kek ...... to...kek"

Thank you, ardianto. That's really interesting. :)

My daughter likes the geckos. Spiders and cockroaches are a different matter though ... :exhausted

Muslim Woman
06-04-2013, 04:42 PM

here they say tick tick , we call them ticticky .

glo
06-09-2013, 04:43 PM
More pics. (Don't worry, sister Aisha ... no spiders this time!)

Hanging bridge

Another gecko

Tippy tap (part of the safe-water-project)

caves in Alutila

Raaina
06-24-2013, 05:55 PM
Fantastic pictures Glo! Is she having a wonderful time? I miss the gecko's definitely not the super hug wasp things, spiders or cockroaches :D

glo
06-24-2013, 07:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Raaina
Fantastic pictures Glo! Is she having a wonderful time? I miss the gecko's definitely not the super hug wasp things, spiders or cockroaches :D
Yes, Raaina. She loves the country and the people.

She hasn't told me about any large wasp things. And we keep teasing her about tigers ... :phew

Muslim Woman
06-25-2013, 05:36 AM
hi glo

it's so hoooooot here . I guess , she is not enjoying it :(

sometimes it rains . I believe she would love to have rainy shower :)

when I was young , I loved to go outside in rain . I missed those days .

This flower ' kodom ' is available mostly in rainy season .

glo
07-27-2013, 11:00 AM
My daughter is home!
So excited to have her back - but it's a bit of a culture shock for her. "What is it with people showing their shoulders and legs??!" she says. :D

Anyway, we spent hours looking at pictures and chatting.
Here are a few funny pictures I thought I'd share with you.

"Famous European Food" - perhaps that like the Brits "going for an Indian" ;D

Toilet sign ;D

sister herb
07-27-2013, 12:41 PM
It is always nice to get child to home.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!