/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hi

Dburzon
02-18-2013, 12:11 AM
Hi my name is David. I was an U.S infantryman for 2 Iraq deployments in 2007-08 and 2010-11.
I met a lot of great Iraqis and loved the culture. They gave me a lot of Shia flags and gifts. Hope I can get them translated and learn about the meaning of the art.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Dburzon
02-18-2013, 12:22 AM
Also I would love to learn more about Islamic culture and beliefs and maybe make some new friends ! =)

Muslim Woman
02-18-2013, 01:42 AM
Salaam / Peace

Welcome here .

If u browse the forum , u will know many things about Islam .

I wonder , why Iraqi people gave u gifts , what exactly u were doing there ?

Iceee
02-18-2013, 02:01 AM
Salaam.

Welcome to our forums.
Iraq? Cool. How was it there?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Dburzon
02-18-2013, 04:27 AM
I was a machine gunner north west of Baghdad at a small combat outpost. During 2008 our goal was to keep our city of 25,000 ppl safe from ethnic cleansing attacks. It was a heavily populated Shia area that was a main battle field for Sunni revenge attacks.

They gave us gifts because we made friends with the local population. We walked into town 4x a week to go to the market and meet people. We built a soccer field for the kids near our outpost with our platoon all throwing in money to order the big goals and nets/balls.

It was a hard year but it was a great experience.

format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
Salaam / Peace

Welcome here .

If u browse the forum , u will know many things about Islam .

I wonder , why Iraqi people gave u gifts , what exactly u were doing there ?

Hulk
02-18-2013, 05:01 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum I hope you have a beneficial stay, if I may ask what was your takeaway from your experience in Iraq?

Dburzon
02-18-2013, 05:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hulk
Hello and welcome to the forum I hope you have a beneficial stay, if I may ask what was your takeaway from your experience in Iraq?
To be very blunt.

The war in Iraq was a horrific mistake and the entire world is paying the price.
George W Bush was a criminal war hawk crusader who threw the region into chaos and collapsed the world economy.

My individual take away from spending over 2 years there is that there are good people and bad people in every country on earth. Treating people with respect can be a stepping stone to building extremely strong relationships even when they might come from different cultures and speak different languages.
I love the Iraqi people and love the culture of family, faith, and hospitality almost to a fault.

I made many friends.

abcdcool2012
02-18-2013, 09:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dburzon
Hi my name is David. I was an U.S infantryman for 2 Iraq deployments in 2007-08 and 2010-11.
I met a lot of great Iraqis and loved the culture. They gave me a lot of Shia flags and gifts. Hope I can get them translated and learn about the meaning of the art.
​Welcome brother

muslimah bird
02-18-2013, 11:08 AM
Welcome to the board. hope you have a great stay

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!