/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Peace be upon them?

Iceee
02-18-2013, 05:22 PM
Salaam to all my Muslim brothers and sisters in Islam.
Hello everyone else :P

When I was volunteering at a school last year, I would help teachers and students in a grade 3 and grade 6 class. They liked me and enjoyed my company.

My question; I did some presentations in front of the class (I was so scared in-front of the kids) where I would teach them life lessons and other things about life they hadn't known yet. I said, "My Mom, peace be upon her, would come outside in our balcony and would yell at me to come home to eat food when me and my friends were playing hockey. She would scream that infront of all my friends, parents, coaches...

*Class laughs, I feel embarrassed*

So my question: Can I say "My Mom, peace be upon her..." "My Dad, peace be upon him..."

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Abu Loren
02-18-2013, 05:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iceee
So my question: Can I say "My Mom, peace be upon her..." "My Dad, peace be upon him..."
Wa Alaikkum As'alaam

My personal opinion is yes because you are just showing respect to your parents. I don't think there are any rules that say you can only do this to the Prophets of God (peace be unto them all).

Iceee
02-18-2013, 08:59 PM
Thank you Abu Loren, may peace be upon you.

Insaanah
03-14-2013, 09:00 PM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by Iceee
It's best if this isn't done routinely.

However, in general we say “‘Alayhi As-Salaam” when mentioning a Prophet, and we say ‘ may Allaah be pleased with him’ when mentioning one of the Companions, and we say ‘ may Allaah have mercy upon him ’ when mentioning one of the Taabi’ieen (plural of Taabi’i) and those who came after them, and so forth.
In addition to this, it should be mentioned that there is a difference of opinion among the scholars about the ruling on using “‘Alayhi As-Salaam” for other than the Prophets.

Allaah Knows best.
http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/in...waId&Id=163193

Because time and time again the Lord Most Gracious has Declared ‘Salaams’ unto His Prophets in His Glorious Quran, the etiquette adopted by the believers is that when the name of a Prophet of Allah is mentioned in their midst they generally say ‘Alayhis Salaam’; and when the name of one of the noble companions of the Last and Final Messenger (saws) is mentioned, they suppicate ‘Radhe-Allaho Ann’ (May Allah be Pleased with them).
http://www.islamhelpline.com/node/8190

Saying 'peace be upon him' when mentioning someone who is not a prophet

Question:
I was reading a book written by Ibn al-Jawzî, and I noticed that he used the phrase “peace be upon him/her” for `Alî and `A’ishah. I always thought that we could only say this for Allah’s Prophets and Messengers (peace be upon them). What is the correct ruling?

Answered by Sheikh `Abd al-Rahmân al-Barrâk

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “May Allah’s peace and blessing be upon Al Abî Awfâ.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî]

Al Abî Awfâ was the name of a particular clan.

From this hadîth, we can derive the permissibility of saying “peace be upon him” when speaking about people who were not prophets or messengers. However, it should not be used habitually for anyone who was not a prophet. It should only be practiced all the time for the Prophets (peace be upon them).

And Allah knows best.
http://en.islamtoday.net/node/1246

And Allah knows best.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Iceee
03-14-2013, 09:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah
It's best if this isn't done routinely.
I only say it online on this forum.
I wouldn't say it to my friend, "Oh, my Mom (Peace be upon her) won't let me come to your house..."

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!