/* */

PDA

View Full Version : His Majesty

Abu Loren
02-20-2013, 01:39 PM
Bismillahi RahmanirRahim
As’alaamuAlaikkum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

There are trillions ofstars (which are really suns) in billions of galaxies. Our human mind cannotcomprehend the vastness of the cosmos. Compared to all this our little blueplanet is insignificant and lost like a pebble on the sea shore. Human beingsare less than specs of dust.
So knowing all this,can we really try to imagine the Creator? Can you truly appreciate His Majesty?Of course, He is nothing like His creation and we should not even try to put apicture of what He looks like into our minds. The only time we will see Him iswhen the lucky few are chosen to spend eternity with Him.
Spare a thought to allthose poor lost souls who deny Him. The arrogance. They are lucky not to beannihilated at this very second, but Allah Subhana Wa Ta’ala has decree a termthat must happen.
Prophet Muhammad(SalAlaahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) gave us a glimpse into the answers that we seek.It gives us a bearing on where we are and the distances are unimaginable to ahuman mind.
Can we really, trulyappreciate His Majesty?

Narrated Al-Abbas ibn AbdulMuttalib:
I was sitting inal-Batha with a company among whom the Messenger of Allah ( )was sitting, when a cloud passed above them.
The Messenger ofAllah ( )looked at it and said: What do you call this? They said: Sahab.
He said: And muzn?They said: And muzn. He said: And anan? They said: And anan. AbuDawud said: Iam not quite confident about the word anan. He asked: Do you know the distancebetween Heaven and Earth? They replied: We do not know. He then said: Thedistance between them is seventy-one, seventy-two, or seventy-three years. Theheaven which is above it is at a similar distance (going on till he countedseven heavens). Above the seventh heaven there is a sea, the distance betweenwhose surface and bottom is like that between one heaven and the next. Abovethat there are eight mountain goats the distance between whose hoofs andhaunches is like the distance between one heaven and the next. Then Allah, theBlessed and the Exalted, is above that.
Reference : Sunan Abi Dawud 4723
In-book reference : Book 42, Hadith 128
English translation : Book 41, Hadith 4705

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IAmZamzam
02-20-2013, 10:00 PM
I do not understand a single word of that hadith.

Tyrion
02-20-2013, 10:14 PM
I hope that's just the result of a really terrible translator...

Abu Loren
02-21-2013, 02:42 AM
^
|
|
|

You guys ever been to school? ^o)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IAmZamzam
02-21-2013, 02:50 AM
They didn't teach us anything about heavenly mountain goats, if that's what you're asking. Was that a common Arabic idiom or something? Like how we'd call a thing now "a whale of a [yada yada]"? It strikes me as an odd unit of measurement and I don't know if it indicates something. You're not being very helpful. I mean, half the words in the hadith are left untranslated. In any event you have no excuse to talk down to us like that.

Abu Loren
02-21-2013, 03:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yahya Sulaiman
They didn't teach us anything about heavenly mountain goats, if that's what you're asking. Was that a common Arabic idiom or something? Like how we'd call a thing now "a whale of a [yada yada]"? It strikes me as an odd unit of measurement and I don't know if it indicates something. You're not being very helpful. I mean, half the words in the hadith are left untranslated. In any event you have no excuse to talk down to us like that.
I wasn't trying to be rude, just sarcastic :p

Anyway, try this translation.

It was narrated that 'Abbas bin 'Abdul-Mutallib said:
"I was in Batha with a group of people, among them whom was the Messenger of Allah. A cloud passed over him, and he looked at it and said: 'What do you call this?' They said: 'Sahab (a cloud).' He said: 'And Muzn (rain cloud).' They said: 'And Muzn.' He said: 'And 'Anan (clouds).' Abu Bakr said: "They said: 'And 'Anan.'" He said: 'How much (distance) do you think there is between you and the heavens?' They said: 'We do not know.' He said: 'Between you and it is seventy-one, or seventy-two, or seventy-three years, and there is a similar distance between it and the heaven above it (and so on)' until he counted seven heavens. 'Then above the seventh heaven there is a sea, between whose top and bottom is a distance like that between one heaven and another. Then above that there are eight (angels in the form of) mountain goats. The distance between their hooves and their knees is like the distance between one heaven and the next. Then on their backs is the Throne, and the distance between the top and the bottom of the Throne is like the distance between one heaven and another. Then Allah is above that, the Blessed and Exalted.

Sunan Ibn Majah
English reference : Vol. 1, Book 1, Hadith 193
Arabic reference : Book 1, Hadith 198

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!