/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Pop Music & Movies

Abu Loren
02-25-2013, 07:00 PM
Alhamdulilah I've given up listening to music and watching movies and the tv as I believe these are all part of this dunya and all believers are to keep away from it. HOWEVER, now and then I give in to temptation and listen to music and movies on utube, and the bad part is that I enjoy them as they bring back memories of the past.

I'd like to ask all my brothers and sisters if you do the same and give in to temptation or if you 'kick' it what is the formula for ignoring them. Are these part of shaytaan's whisperings?

Any answers and/or opinions are much appreciated.

Salaam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
*charisma*
02-25-2013, 07:15 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

I quit listening to music a while ago for the sole purpose that I was feeling shame and great sadness that I could not memorize ayahs in the quran but had full songs memorized. I don't even remember if I had known that music was haram at that time, but I was never one who was addicted to it as others are, nor did I seek it, so I feel like it didn't really affect my iman that much when it was around. However, when I began to actively avoid it, I would listen to islamic lectures instead while driving for example, so listening to more lectures helped my iman more, and the more I learned about the evils of music and the way it affects the human heart and people's actions, the more I am glad I quit it. I also really liked writing poetry, and I always felt like songs were a form of poetry or were poetic in a way, but instead of listening to the song, I would just read the lyrics so that I wouldn't get tempted to hear it and remember the words. Sometimes just hearing a song once allows it to get stuck in our heads from how catchy it is, so I try to avoid that because it makes me feel guilty that it's easier to remember than verses in the quran.

When it comes to watching movies, I still do that once in a while though for entertainment purposes. If you're the type of person that feels his iman increases by not watching movies, then by all means, do what increases your iman and avoid what harms it inshallah.

fi aman allah
w'salaam

Abu Loren
02-25-2013, 07:25 PM
Wa Alaikkum As'alaam

Thank you sis for that.

It doesn't affect my imaan but like you the catchy tune just stays in my head all day and the bad part is that most songs nowadays have lyrics that are not compatible with what a believer shoudl be listening to. Also with movies, it's nudity, sex and violence. They seem to think that they cannot make a movie without these any more. I believe these things can take away your piety. I believe that all forms of entertainment are from shaytaan. Just look at the 'realit shows' these things hook millions of people in front of their tv screens. When you step back and look at it you know that the contents just rubbish but people seem to want more.

We caould all do better thing instead like reading the Holy Qur'an or listening to recitations etc.

Beardo
02-25-2013, 07:31 PM
You could also consider "phasing out" from music by replacing it with nasheeds (instrumental-free).

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
*charisma*
02-25-2013, 07:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Loren
I believe these things can take away your piety. I believe that all forms of entertainment are from shaytaan. Just look at the 'realit shows' these things hook millions of people in front of their tv screens. When you step back and look at it you know that the contents just rubbish but people seem to want more.

We caould all do better thing instead like reading the Holy Qur'an or listening to recitations etc.
I agree with you, I think for some people it does affect their piety a lot, especially when it interferes with obligatory practices, like delaying prayer because you're in the middle of a movie, or listening to music while the adhan is on and not hearing it, or trying to fit into some kind of worldly status or trying to win a popularity contest by indulging in these things so that you'd have more in common with the people etc. And we can always find better things to do to increase our rewards in dunyaa than watching a movie or listening to a song, but the reality is, not a lot of us spend time worshipping Allah 24/7, and for some, watching a movie is a lot less evil than doing other things. You could also include social networks in this discussion, or a lot of other time-wasting activities, but at the end of the day, we're all human and we don't like being serious all the time.

I personally believe if a somewhat halal secular activity is done sparingly and with a sound mind, it shouldn't be a problem. If it's something that becomes a habit, addiction, or over-indulgence, then that's where the person needs to step back and re-evaluate the way he spends his time.

I think it's great mashallah that you are able to quit music and watching tv. May allah continue to guide and you increase your worship and deeds ameen. I can't say anything against quitting these things because as you said, there are better things to do with our time, but at the same time for me personally, I can't say it would make too much of a difference in my life if I quit watching movies..I don't think I'd spend my time more wisely if I actively removed it, get what I mean? I'd probably just go online and waste the same amount of time doing something else, and this is in my own personal weakness/flaw. Some days I just want to laugh and unwind and I can find that in a show or movie.

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

Qurratul Ayn
02-25-2013, 09:27 PM
:salamext:

I'd like to ask all my brothers and sisters if you do the same and give in to temptation or if you 'kick' it what is the formula for ignoring them. Are these part of shaytaan's whisperings?
Before like beloved Sister *charisma* I used to memorise songs/raps/ballads and whatnot left, right and centre. I was able to recite them at the drop of a hat. I was addicted. Very much so, unfortunately. Music was a part of me, I always feel sad and regretful and I feel ashamed at myself for stooping so low.

But now, :alhamd: I don't listen to it anymore. It was a trial and a half getting rid of this music that was a part of me, but :alhamd: I succeeded. I listened to Quraan'ic recitations, I read Qur'aan a lot more, I started listening to vocals only Nasheeds, I made and am making Du'a to :Allah::swt: to help take that away and to keep me music free. It will take time but if the heart, mind and soul are set upon a target that want to achieve to become a better Muslim and to please :Allah::swt: then nothing can stop them overcoming obstacles.

In the car, I listen to Nasheeds (vocals only) and Qur'aanic recitations (mainly Sheikhs Sudais, Shuraim and Mishary). But even in the shops, restaurants and such it is hard to avoid it :( and I do get caught unawares by it, memories start flooding back. Ah... But then I begin to converse with my Husband or friend/s and the music becomes non-existent. Lol

Movies... Hmmm... Again, I used to watch a lot, used to own many VCRs, DVDs and even a couple of Blue-Rays, but I've limited the type I watch and the amount too. I only watch films with meanings (i.e. V for Vendetta - a look into the future? I think so) If it's Kung Fu Panda and Kung Fu Panda 2, then nothing can stop me. Nothing. Apart from the Adhaan, and the time to pray.

So yes, dear Brother Abu Loren, temptation is always there but we have to have faith in ourselves and in :Allah::swt:, be strong and resilient so that we can overcome our shortcomings and conquer the Shaytaan and :ia: have the courage to do so

:salamext:

Tyrion
02-25-2013, 11:07 PM
I believe that all forms of entertainment are from shaytaan
Well... Have you considered living in a cave?

Abu Loren
02-26-2013, 03:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion
Well... Have you considered living in a cave?
Yes I've often wondered about that. In another forum I mentioned that I'd love to live in a cave like a hermit but people told me that's unIslamic. Well you could certainly seperate yourself from this dunya and the worst of creatures in it.

unknown12
02-26-2013, 07:50 AM
Alhamdulilah I've given up listening to music and watching movies and the tv as I believe these are all part of this dunya and all believers are to keep away from it. HOWEVER, now and then I give in to temptation and listen to music and movies on utube, and the bad part is that I enjoy them as they bring back memories of the past.

Any answers and/or opinions are much appreciated.

Salaam
I listen to tons of nasheeds instead of music. I've stopped listening to music, but some days I do listen to it a bit but mostly listen to the nasheeds I have; they sound great, have nice tune and also nice meaning in them. I will happily share them with you if you want :), believe me they are way way way better than music these nasheeds.

Abu Loren
02-26-2013, 10:20 AM
Thanks to all those who have responded so far. JazakhAllah Khair.

I've started to listen Qur'anic recitations on utube which takes up my imaan a notch or two. Alhamdulilah there are so many to choose from. There is nothing like listening to the Words of Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!