/* */

PDA

View Full Version : So is music officially haram?

Islamforlife
02-27-2013, 12:29 AM
I've stopped listening to music for a while now, but sometimes it just pops up in the bus or somewhere random. I've also read somewhere that the hadiths that forbid music are not authentic. I want some clarification of this since I obviously do not have knowledge about the field of hadiths or the ruling of music. All I listen to is the Quran, but I admit music does sometimes catch my heart and I try to ignore it. Please help, I'm humble to anyone who answers with good intentions. Thank you brothers and sisters.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IAmZamzam
02-27-2013, 01:18 AM
This is one of those threads that keeps popping up every few weeks or so at each Islamic message board in existence and every thread is exactly the same. Let this be the one and only time I answer then. It's not that the ahadith are inauthentic, it's just that people have been really, really stubborn about the way they approach them. Moiz Amjad put it best:

Songs or music per se are not prohibited in Islam. It has been reported that the Prophet (pbuh) stopped Abu Bakr (ra) when he tried to stop girls from singing and playing a tambourine, on a day of celebration. The Prophet (pbuh) told Abu Bakr (ra) to let the girls celebrate and enjoy. On the other hand, the Prophet (pbuh) is also reported to have condemned the singers and musicians. If seen in the proper context, these two directives of the Prophet (pbuh) are not contradictory.

History tells us that the Arabs were very fond of holding musical gatherings where they used to drink alcohol and their slave girls used to sing and dance for them. Such gatherings obviously had a bad effect on the morals of the audience. It was because of this reason that the Prophet (pbuh), whose basic message was to remind the people of the day when they shall face their Creator and shall be made to answer for all their deeds, condemned such gatherings. On the other hand, where music and singing were just an occasional show of the festive spirit of the people, they were not disallowed by the Prophet (pbuh).

On the basis of the above explanation, it may be said that any activity, which has a bad effect on the morals of a person must be refrained from. It was actually because of this reason that the Prophet (pbuh) condemned such gatherings and the activities that were commonly held there. Therefore, listening to songs and music that do not negatively affect the morals of a person, are not disallowed in Islam.

My dear brother, Islam does not prohibit any entertainment as long as it does not have a bad effect on the desired ethical and moral standards of the individuals. Man, it must be remembered, is being tested in the life of this world. Only those individuals who try to cleanse their souls from all sin shall succeed in the ultimate life. The process and method of cleansing our souls is to fill our hearts and souls with the remembrance of our Creator and our Lord. A person who has fully understood this fact cannot let any entertainment take hold of him to the extent that it makes him negligent and unmindful of his Lord and Creator. Music and all other entertainments are not disallowed in Islam, but a true Muslim never lets any of these activities make him unmindful of his duties towards his Lord as well as his fellow human beings.

I strongly suspect that had The Prophet come in the modern era and warned people away from strip clubs by saying, "Don't so much as even go near a pole," flash forward a few hundred years and every firehouse in Islamic countries would be using slides.

Don't expect my answer to be in the majority though.

Welcome to the board, brother. :)

Abu Loren
02-27-2013, 03:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Islamforlife
I've stopped listening to music for a while now, but sometimes it just pops up in the bus or somewhere random. I've also read somewhere that the hadiths that forbid music are not authentic. I want some clarification of this since I obviously do not have knowledge about the field of hadiths or the ruling of music. All I listen to is the Quran, but I admit music does sometimes catch my heart and I try to ignore it. Please help, I'm humble to anyone who answers with good intentions. Thank you brothers and sisters.
Don't listen to John Solomon. And this guy joined in July 21012?

Well I think I'm right in saying that there are two schools of thought on this, there are those who think it's haram and those who thinks it's ok. The asnwer probably lies somewhere in between.

If it affects your deen and imaan then yes by all means shut your ears. On the other hand if you've just been to the night club and you've been boogieing the night away and you go straight to fajr prayer without it affecting your imaan then go for it.

For many people though music just lingers in their mind all day and all night which affects their rememberance of Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala. Then there are those who say the the lyrical content is bad that they should shun it.

Each to their own I supose.

IAmZamzam
02-27-2013, 04:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Loren
Don't listen to John Solomon.
It's in my experience that the people you really shouldn't listen to in life are usually the ones who immediately respond right off the bat with, "Don't listen to such-and-such!"

And this guy joined in July 21012?
July 2011, February 2013, mid-April 2005, Y2K, during the assassination of Robert Kennedy, sometime around the dawn of the Paleolithic era--what difference does it make???

Well I think I'm right in saying that there are two schools of thought on this, there are those who think it's haram and those who thinks it's ok. The asnwer probably lies somewhere in between.

If it affects your deen and imaan then yes by all means shut your ears. On the other hand if you've just been to the night club and you've been boogieing the night away and you go straight to fajr prayer without it affecting your imaan then go for it.

For many people though music just lingers in their mind all day and all night which affects their rememberance of Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala. Then there are those who say the the lyrical content is bad that they should shun it.

Each to their own I supose.
And yet, even though you just said that he shouldn't listen to me, you yourself now aren't telling him anything which is altogether very different from what I just said to him already. Go figure.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Land.Of.Pure
02-27-2013, 05:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yahya Sulaiman
I strongly suspect that had The Prophet come in the modern era and warned people away from strip clubs by saying, "Don't so much as even go near a pole," flash forward a few hundred years and every firehouse in Islamic countries would be using slides.
Hahahaha... that was funny but true...
I would add that a gun can be used to kill game for food or to protect from harm,,, but can also be used to kill someone...!!!

islamica
02-27-2013, 05:45 AM
Everybody will have their two bits to say. I suggest visiting www.islamqa.com and searching it yourself. type in music, musical instruments, nasheeds, and the sort to get a well rounded idea of the topic.

sister herb
02-27-2013, 05:50 AM
Salam alaykum

Why an earth you think again and again what is haram? Why not find things what are halal instead?

:embarrass

By the way, I like music.

Abu Loren
02-27-2013, 10:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yahya Sulaiman
It's in my experience that the people you really shouldn't listen to in life are usually the ones who immediately respond right off the bat with, "Don't listen to such-and-such!"

July 2011, February 2013, mid-April 2005, Y2K, during the assassination of Robert Kennedy, sometime around the dawn of the Paleolithic era--what difference does it make???

And yet, even though you just said that he shouldn't listen to me, you yourself now aren't telling him anything which is altogether very different from what I just said to him already. Go figure.
Easy John my tongue was firmly in my cheek.

I was just giving him both sides of the coin. I suppose at the end of the day practicing the five pillars and being a devoting servant of Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala will be enough for salvation Insha'Allah. Allahu Alum!

'Abd Al-Maajid
02-27-2013, 11:32 AM

NajaMuhammad
02-27-2013, 01:43 PM
Salaam how can I research more about this topic

Muhammad
02-27-2013, 02:17 PM
:salamext:

Please browse the following links for more information on this topic. It is true that this issue keeps coming up repeatedly, and often people keep forwarding their own opinions and logic, whilst disregarding many Islamic texts and what most (if not all) of the scholars have said. That is why this thread will be closed and people can read what has already been posted by way of clarification Insha'Allaah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!