/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Can Cell-Phones Be A Drug?

Iceee
03-10-2013, 03:51 PM
Something to think about.
A substance that has a physiological effect when ingested or otherwise introduced into the body, in particular.

Lets think of cell-phones as the substance, and addiction to it as being introduced into the body.
I don't know lol.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
03-10-2013, 03:57 PM
Can cellphone be a drug? ...... yes!

Drug addicts in my place often sell their cellphones to buy drug.

Iceee
03-10-2013, 03:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Can cellphone be a drug? ...... yes!

Drug addicts in my place often sell their cellphones to buy drug.
What? Lol.

crimsontide06
03-10-2013, 04:15 PM
Addicting...yes.. but unless people are snorting, smoking or somehow injecting the cell phones into their veins... then no...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Iceee
03-10-2013, 04:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crimsontide06
Addicting...yes.. but unless people are snorting, smoking or somehow injecting the cell phones into their veins... then no...
Was more of a literal term.

Scimitar
03-10-2013, 05:07 PM
I think crimsontide gave you a literal answer Icee. Clear as day for me anyway.

Abu Loren
03-10-2013, 05:09 PM
I voted no because I hate those things with a passion but I have to own one so people can contact ME.

The answer, however, is a big YES. Look at the kids who line up or rather sleep outside the shop overnight to purchase the latest gizmo. Really sad.

If I could also just vent my anger at the St***d people who never switch off theri mobile phones during salat at the masjid. The imam makes an announcement before the start of salat and THEY STILL FORGET!!!!! :raging:

Iceee
03-10-2013, 07:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Loren
If I could also just vent my anger at the St***d people who never switch off theri mobile phones during salat at the masjid. The imam makes an announcement before the start of salat and THEY STILL FORGET!!!!!
Don't complain, I'm sure it's happened to all of us.
We must either be forgetful to turn it off, scared, etc.
All I can say is, keep the ringtone sound low. I hate that.

tearose
03-10-2013, 07:33 PM
Cellphones seem to be very addictive for some people...but I don't think they are a drug. The way I understand it, a drug is a substance that either has a physical effect on the body or alters your state of mind chemically. I don't think that could be said of cell phones, rather they are addictive in the same way that people get addicted to the internet, video games, hobbies etc. So I voted no but really it depends on your definition of drug.

I personally do not like mobile phones much and spend as little time using them as possible. It annoys me when people are constantly checking their phone for no good reason, especially when people are talking to them or they are supposed to be paying attention to something. As for the people who leave theirs on during salat, that must be the worst. Surely you just get into a routine of putting it to silent before you go into the masjid. It's bad enough if it goes off in class.

Woodrow
03-10-2013, 07:45 PM
In the sense of being a physically ingested product the answer is no.

But, in a very broad sense, that of anything that can alter moods, be addictive, and cause emotional signs of withdrawal if an addict is deprived of it, the answer is yes.

In an emotional sense I believe they can a drug.

Scimitar
03-10-2013, 08:02 PM
I think people are getting the definitions of habit forming and drug addictions intertwined here. Mobile phones are not drugs, but dependent on your personality, (whether you have an addictive personality or not) you may find that you are addicted to playing with your phone - this is you forming a habit.

Scimi

Iceee
03-10-2013, 08:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tearose
It annoys me when people are constantly checking their phone for no good reason, especially when people are talking to them or they are supposed to be paying attention to something.
In Canada, we have a law which gives a fine of $300.00 or so if you are on a hand-held device while driving.

Sadly, I had a similar situation when I was running home from the masjid and I was running really fast on the sidewalk like I normally do for exercise. A woman on her cell had her head down concentrating on her cell-phone texting or whatever. She was walking towards me to her right, I was running towards her on my right side and because she wasn't paying attention, she suddenly walked on the middle of the sidewalk and... BAM! My elbow hit hers and her cell fell down on the ground. :cry:

format_quote Originally Posted by tearose
Surely you just get into a routine of putting it to silent before you go into the masjid. It's bad enough if it goes off in class.
During Jumah when the Imam is giving khutbah, everyone is sitting down not listening and on their cell-phones. Lol.

Scimitar
03-10-2013, 09:08 PM

<--- don't read that part

Iceee
03-10-2013, 09:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar

<--- don't read that part
What part?

Woodrow
03-10-2013, 09:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iceee
What part?

cOsMiCiNtUiTiOn
03-10-2013, 09:25 PM
I second what Scimi said, it will depend on the personality. I find myself honking at people when the traffic light turns green because everyone seems to take the red light as a time to browse their phones. So yes they can be very distracting.

There's a a time and place for everything though,and I wouldn't blame the phones. It's just the people lacking control of themselves. If people are busy on their phones vs listening to khutba, it just reflects their own state.

I find smartphones quite convenient actually. I don't have to constantly be glued to my pc to keep track of internet stuff (and no I don't do facebook or stuff like that.) Give a smartphone to a kid with no real responsibilities and ur asking for trouble. If a responsible adult uses one though, it can be a good thing for them. Just depends on the discipline of the person.

- cOsMiC

Iceee
03-10-2013, 10:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cOsMiCiNtUiTiOn
I find smartphones quite convenient actually. I don't have to constantly be glued to my pc to keep track of internet stuff (and no I don't do facebook or stuff like that.) Give a smartphone to a kid with no real responsibilities and ur asking for trouble. If a responsible adult uses one though, it can be a good thing for them. Just depends on the discipline of the person.
There are some responsible kids as well. I bought my my cousin an iPhone 4s, he's only 4 years old lol. He uses it to play games, it always stays at home and parents decide when he can use it. He thanks me a lot for buying him one. :) I'm glad I made him promise to listen to his parents or I'd take it back :p

Salahudeen
03-11-2013, 01:41 AM
Depends on the person, depending upon your personality and what you find enjoyable anything could be labelled as addictive but not really a drug.

Ahmad H
03-11-2013, 04:04 AM
Recently I noticed people being on their cell phones rather than speaking to a person right in front of them. I think it makes people anti-social, despite it's social capabilities. It's addictive, but it's not a drug. Had it been a drug it would have been unlawful to use since it would have been a quick fix. People don't get interventions on cell phones, so by no means can it be called a drug - ever. I do see your point in them being annoying.

i saw some comments above about people having their cell phones on in Masjids. The easiest habit to have about that in order to prevent such situations, is to keep them in your car. And if you have no car, then make sure you have the habit of turning your phone off in general. But when I drive to the masjid, I try to keep the phone in my car just so i don't have to forget to turn it off. Although, my phone is always on vibrate, so at worst if it rings it wouldn't be too much of a distraction. Either way, just develop a good habit of turning it off. Think of what the Sahaba would do, and what the Holy Prophet (saw) would say on such an issue.

Iceee
03-11-2013, 04:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ahmad H
i saw some comments above about people having their cell phones on in Masjids. The easiest habit to have about that in order to prevent such situations, is to keep them in your car. And if you have no car, then make sure you have the habit of turning your phone off in general. But when I drive to the masjid, I try to keep the phone in my car just so i don't have to forget to turn it off.
Who would keep their cell-phones in the car or at home? What if there's an emergency? What if someone texts them? What if.. What if.. What if... Lol.

Naeema
03-11-2013, 04:16 PM
I always try to keep in mind that if there is a real emergency with a family member, then it's going to be handled by emergency personnel in accordance with their laws and regulations whether I can be immediately reached or not. The difference of an hour, whether I am driving, in prayer, or having a family meal, is not going to matter. Everything else can wait.

Iceee
03-11-2013, 04:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Naeema
I always try to keep in mind that if there is a real emergency with a family member, then it's going to be handled by emergency personnel in accordance with their laws and regulations whether I can be immediately reached or not. The difference of an hour, whether I am driving, in prayer, or having a family meal, is not going to matter. Everything else can wait.
Wish my friends had your mindset. When I ask them to turn off their cell's so if it rings it doesn't make noise, they always say "What if there's an emergency?"

Scimitar
03-11-2013, 04:24 PM
I'd respond back with, "I don't see you in police / ambulance / fire fighter uniform - turn it off idiot" :D

Iceee
03-11-2013, 06:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
I'd respond back with, "I don't see you in police / ambulance / fire fighter uniform - turn it off idiot" :D
Think they're talking about their friends calling/texting them is an emergency.

QueenofHerts
03-12-2013, 12:16 AM
definitely addictive.

Innocent Soul
03-12-2013, 12:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ahmad H
Recently I noticed people being on their cell phones rather than speaking to a person right in front of them.
That's why I think it is not good to be doing something in your cell phones all the time especially when someone is with you.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!